Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? RESULTS POSTED

Conworlds and conlangs
Zju

Re: Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay?

Post by Zju »

How many days will it be per round?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Zju wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:53 pmHow many days will it be per round?
These sorts of relays typically run three or four days per round by default, though extending this timeline is usually granted if requested (and, of course, it's perfectly fine to finish sooner).
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:21 pm
Zju wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:53 pmHow many days will it be per round?
These sorts of relays typically run three or four days per round by default, though extending this timeline is usually granted if requested (and, of course, it's perfectly fine to finish sooner).
Three to four days per round seems somewhat unrealistic to me — it could be reasonable for natlangs, but unfamiliar conlangs can be quite difficult to decipher. (Just look at the sentence guessing game for examples.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

OK, how does a week sound?
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

A week sounds good. The time consuming part is learning the conlang, so the first link in the chain could maybe get a little extra time, if they feel they need it.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

All right, then I'll have to cook up a relay text.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:14 pm A week sounds good. The time consuming part is learning the conlang, so the first link in the chain could maybe get a little extra time, if they feel they need it.
But I thought each person in the chain has to learn the previous person’s conlang, in which case as I said earlier this would need to happen for every link.

Vilike

Post by Vilike »

In my experience for the relays at the Language Creation Conference, delay was two to three days for each link and the time-consuming part wasn't learning and deciphering the previous text, but formatting a grammar primer for the next participant including enough of the necessary bits for translating the text.
Yaa unák thual na !
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 am
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:14 pm A week sounds good. The time consuming part is learning the conlang, so the first link in the chain could maybe get a little extra time, if they feel they need it.
But I thought each person in the chain has to learn the previous person’s conlang, in which case as I said earlier this would need to happen for every link.
Yes, but if I'm link #37 and you're link #38 nothing stops me from sending you a grammar and dictionary on day one. It's not like Random Moose Conlang is some kind of trade secret.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Moose-tache wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 am
bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 am
Yes, but if I'm link #37 and you're link #38 nothing stops me from sending you a grammar and dictionary on day one. It's not like Random Moose Conlang is some kind of trade secret.
Oh, I see. On the other hand, you might need to develop some new grammar and/or lexicon in the process of translation. On the third hand, in light of Vilike’s comments, it sounds like decipherment is unlikely to be a major timesink anyway.

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

You’d only need a sufficient grammar to decipher the text. You don’t need to go into a huge discussion of how your language encodes the eye color of the addressee if it doesn’t come up at all.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Another question about how this works: it sounds like the relay starts and finishes at the same person. How does this not undo the whole relay? Surely the final decipherment would be influenced by the original text if both are done by the same person?

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 pmAnother question about how this works: it sounds like the relay starts and finishes at the same person. How does this not undo the whole relay? Surely the final decipherment would be influenced by the original text if both are done by the same person?
The original receiver may be influenced, sure, but the text is still going to get mangled through all the generations of its transfer. That's part of the fun of the exercise.
Emily

Post by Emily »

stumbled across the folder and paperwork from my first "real" conlang i did as a year-long school project in tenth grade (complete with a copy of the lck printed on 11/29/2000 — the ď in "caďinor" looks to be a transparent gif). if there's enough documentation and i don't cringe myself to death i might go ahead and use that one for this game. i don't think i've looked at this in probably twenty years
Emily

Post by Emily »

Emily wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:29 am stumbled across the folder and paperwork from my first "real" conlang i did as a year-long school project in tenth grade (complete with a copy of the lck printed on 11/29/2000 — the ď in "caďinor" looks to be a transparent gif). if there's enough documentation and i don't cringe myself to death i might go ahead and use that one for this game. i don't think i've looked at this in probably twenty years
haven't looked through all of it but the first piece of actual documentation i've found is a printout of a geocities page i made, but run through a joke leetspeak "translator" and printed out in a near-illegible self-made custom font? did i turn this in?? how on earth did i ever pass a single class
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

If we wanted to start early, I have a small text translated and ready to go. I’d just need to write a brief grammar and lexicon covering the basics of what is mentioned in the torch.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I'm ready if everyone still wants to start on April 1. Man in Space, do you want to edit the first post, or start a new thread? Also, it's your show, but maybe message the people involved to remind them of their place in the schedule.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:01 pm I'm ready if everyone still wants to start on April 1. Man in Space, do you want to edit the first post, or start a new thread? Also, it's your show, but maybe message the people involved to remind them of their place in the schedule.
I'm still down, and those are good ideas. Thank you.

Everyone: Please let me know what language you plan on using and I will edit into the first post.
quinterbeck

Re: Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? STARTING 1 APRIL

Post by quinterbeck »

I'm using Leima. Spent some time the other week on the grammar description so hopefully it's now up to scratch!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:21 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:01 pm I'm ready if everyone still wants to start on April 1. Man in Space, do you want to edit the first post, or start a new thread? Also, it's your show, but maybe message the people involved to remind them of their place in the schedule.
I'm still down, and those are good ideas. Thank you.

Everyone: Please let me know what language you plan on using and I will edit into the first post.
At this point, assuming 1 week per round, it’s looking like the end of the relay will be around my exam time, which won’t work well at all. Could I be moved to around the middle of the relay please? Apologies for being such a pain with scheduling.

As for languages… well, my most developed language is the one I’ve been calling Proto-‘Savanna’, although that will need some pretty serious work before I can translate any larger text into it. But I think I can manage it!