Daily Creativity Thread

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Daily Creativity Thread

Post by doctor shark »

I like money.
More: show
There'll be hopefully two more banknotes (a 200 in blue/green and a 500 in red/orange), but I at least wanted to share the progress so far. Thanks to two board members (finlay and ManInSpace) for contributing pics!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

My favorite is the guy who looks like a cross between Stephen King and Wayne's World.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 pm My favorite is the guy who looks like a cross between Stephen King and Wayne's World.
The guy on the 20? If so, that’s me!

Thanks for having me featured, doctor shark!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I always love your currency, and I likewise like the 20 in particular.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

drew something again in a very old script ...... it spells /kupukapukipa/ in Late Old Andanese. the slightly thicker lines are the lines of the script and the others are connectors (done to make it easier for me). the colors are purely aesthetic
Attachments
kupukapukipa.png
kupukapukipa.png (919 Bytes) Viewed 10337 times
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I like that a lot (though I can't tell the difference between the meaningful lines and the connectors. My eyesight must be worth than I though.) That's a great idea for a writing system!
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Thank you. It's both the simplest and most beautiful script I've ever created, but I don't think it would be particularly useful as a means of communication even if the artistic enhancements were removed .... it would be roughly as readable as cuneiform, which got people by but, to my knowledge, has never been adopted as a replacement for a more visually distinct script. I'd even say that the script as I show it above is unreadable on purpose, since the intent is to draw the viewer's attention to the colorful shapes, such that they barely notice the thin dark lines. Seeing them often enough, people would recognize words and names as a whole because of the constituent shapes, but it wouldn't be something you'd want to write a book in.

It's also bound to a single language, Late Andanese. (Sorry I said Late Old Andanese last night .... both at night and in the early morning I find myself increasingly making stupid mistakes like that. I was obviously mixing it up with Late Old Japanese.) Late Andanese died out in the year 4175, but I plan to write that the people who outlived the Andanese were in such awe at the beauty of the script that they kept the language alive ceremonially for thousands of years and continued to coin bynames in Andanese for their cities, nations, corporations, and perhaps even people.

The reason the script is bound to Late Andanese is that it has only 30 possible symbols .... there's no way to get 31 or 60 or some other number without irreparably breaking the way the symbols connect to each other, and therefore the script cannot evolve. The Andanese language reached a syllable inventory of only 30 just before it died out, and therefore the script was created by and for the Andanese people.

The script could, of course, be used to spell other languages imperfectly, but I dont plan to do this, because as above, it was an ornate script all along, not used as the primary script even by the Andanese, who more commonly used a Romanesque script that also had only 30 syllable glyphs.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:47 am I like that a lot (though I can't tell the difference between the meaningful lines and the connectors. My eyesight must be worth than I though.) That's a great idea for a writing system!
I can't tell the difference either, and I'm only slightly nearsighted, to the point that I don't ever wear glasses or contacts.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 am It's also bound to a single language, Late Andanese. (Sorry I said Late Old Andanese last night .... both at night and in the early morning I find myself increasingly making stupid mistakes like that. I was obviously mixing it up with Late Old Japanese.) Late Andanese died out in the year 4175, but I plan to write that the people who outlived the Andanese were in such awe at the beauty of the script that they kept the language alive ceremonially for thousands of years and continued to coin bynames in Andanese for their cities, nations, corporations, and perhaps even people.
It seems weird to speak of a language dying out in a specific year. Yes, languages have definite years where their final native speaker dies, but putting it that way to me makes it seem like the speakers were wiped out by genocide in a particular year, which doesn't seem to apply here.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm It seems weird to speak of a language dying out in a specific year. Yes, languages have definite years where their final native speaker dies,
why do you want to fight?
I can't tell the difference either, and I'm only slightly nearsighted, to the point that I don't ever wear glasses or contacts.
well then, you picked an odd place to bring it up, but i guess this is about politics, and that you are already at a conclusion
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Travis is talking about the image you posted, I imagine, not politics.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

sorry, mom, can i go to the bathroom now?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I like money. (What's new?)

(It's a fake website, though maybe I should see if I can set one up...)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:57 am I like money. (What's new?)
(It's a fake website, though maybe I should see if I can set one up...)
Be careful that you don't accidentally, without intending to, start the Next Big Thing in cutting-edge investments!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Yes, you could create ETFs or something like that :-)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

One of my non-conlanging projects is a fictional city in northern Lower Michigan called Dousman. Today they got a new flag:
And this is the old flag of Dousman that it replaced:
Most of the city's residents have expressed strong opposition to the change, with Friends of the Flag committees popping up in every neighborhood.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

You do know there is a real village named Dousman in southeastern Wisconsin, right?
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Well, considering there is a shit-hole in Texas that's been getting away with the name "Paris" for nearly two hundred years, I don't see an issue.

But since you mention it, it's named after Michael Dousman, the father of Talbot Dousman, the namesake of Dousman Wisconsin, and Hercules Dousman, Wisconsin's first millionaire.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

lolololol I can't even! :lol:
Moose-tachetime=1639490488 wrote:Most of the city's residents have expressed strong opposition to the change, with Friends of the Flag committees popping up in every neighborhood.
This is so bonkers, but so realistic at the same time.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Is the breakage in "Historic" intended?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages