Conworld Fashion

Conworlds and conlangs
Nachtswalbe

Conworld Fashion

Post by Nachtswalbe »

How is fashion expressed in your conworld?

IRL formal business fashion is derived from Brummel’s simplification of court dress
Ares Land

Re: Conworld Fashion

Post by Ares Land »

Very much a work in progress.

Like Moebius' characters, the Tarandim favor lots of color, cloaks and funny hats.

Formal wear looks vaguely Greco-Roman, a chlamys-like cloak with a tunic. History, cinnabar red was the royal color, but in present days it just feels formal.
Cloaks can also be wrapped around the body, like a sari.

Lots of funny hats, but men and women wear hoods -- as a separate form of headgear.

Military men and the aristocracy sometimes paint their faces (not unlike Hindu sadhus.) I used to think they were clan markings, but I'm tempted to decide they just do it to look cool.
An order of knights shave half of their heads, grow the rest long and bread it.

I have the vague idea that men tend to wear brighter color than women.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

This is one of the few areas where my lack of coverage reflects the society's attitudes rather than just being an omission on my part. Almost all human societies oppose jewelry and other forms of bodily decoration, and in hot climates, nudism is common. Nudists often believe themselves to be more physically hardy than those who wear clothes, and this extends even to colder climates where people unused to the weather shiver and seek shelter where locals would not.

One of the few traits I do know of is hairstyles ... men typically wear their hair short, but a few tribes, such as the Cupbearers (yes that's what i'm calling them), are known for long hair in men, and specifically for men and women having the same hair length. In other societies, such as the Moonshines, men sometimes wear long hair as well, but women's hair is longer still, so it's a difference of degree, with the same gender divide still present. The Moonshines live in a very cold climate, such that people wear warm clothes all year long, and this long hair helps distinguish people from a distance.
Emily

Post by Emily »

the only things i've got are:
  • red is the color of mourning
  • unmarried men and women wear their hair long, and shave their body and facial hair; married people keep their hair short but let their beards and body hair grow
Foolster41

Post by Foolster41 »

(Saltha is a lizardfolk desert country)

I'm not sure exactly about styles of fashion in Saltha in terms of trends, pre-war with the humans.

Children don't really wear clothing until they are 10, unless they are doing chores (in which case they wear the simple Aki, a loin cloth that's used by adults as underwear.

Adults, both males and females generally wear a skirt around their waist called a Lirsaki and go without anything covering their chests (no, female Salthans do not have breasts like in The Elder Scrolls).

Some wear longer skirts, or long sleeveless robes with a long sleeve shirt underneath (and possibly a vest over the robe)

After the meeting with humans, "Dantse" a modified version of pants with a hole in the back for a tail (and a draw string that ties over the tail to keep it up) became popular.( Also the shorter form "Shortse").

Betrothed Salthans wear a cloth (Littoshu) wrapped over their belt to show they are engaged.

It's not too uncommon to see the rich flaunt their wealth with a version of the Lirsak (called the Figadathese)i with a strip of cloth with a neck-hole, barely covering their chest, but shows off an excess use of fabric. Large hats of expensive fabric and ornate materials (rare feathers) are also common among the rich (and practical, providing shade)

The colors Red, White,Yellow, Blue and light grey are associated with the five divines (in order, Rela, Kai, Laikei, Gikar and Kakela), and are usually worn by priests of those respective divines.
Dark Grey is also associated with death and morning (the color of ash).
Purple is associated with royalty, a color that'll get you the stink-eye (or even beat up or killed!) for wearing after the rebellion

I like the idea of Salthan military having uniforms, but I haven't figured out what that looks like yet. For now it's just regular clothing (the sleeveless robe + longsleeve shirt)

Imgur gallery of art showing Salthan clothing:
https://imgur.com/a/k5O13
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Foolster41 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 pm(no, female Salthans do not have breasts like in The Elder Scrolls)
This is something some creators of fantasy lizardfolk get wrong: lizardfolk aren't mammals, and thus their females don't have breasts!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:58 am
Foolster41 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:26 pm(no, female Salthans do not have breasts like in The Elder Scrolls)
This is something some creators of fantasy lizardfolk get wrong: lizardfolk aren't mammals, and thus their females don't have breasts!
Are nipples necessary to the evolution of breasts?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Richard W wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:34 pm
Parallel evolution could certainly come up with something; animals have to feed their young after all. But something like crop milk is just as likely!
Torco

Post by Torco »

Richard W wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:34 pm
I would think so, yeah :lol: otherwise you'd just grow whatever part is closest to the delivery point. like, if you vomit your milk there's not much point in having boobs, you'd sooner grow -and be attracted to- big bouncy throatties.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

. If your bird regurgitates on you, it's most likely a sign of affection.
Spitting on people as affection
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:48 pm
. If your bird regurgitates on you, it's most likely a sign of affection.
Spitting on people as affection
At this point I have to think of the scene in Dune where the Fremen emissary spits on the conference table.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Torco wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:26 pm I would think so, yeah :lol: otherwise you'd just grow whatever part is closest to the delivery point. like, if you vomit your milk there's not much point in having boobs, you'd sooner grow -and be attracted to- big bouncy throatties.
So you don't think much to the idea that they're false buttocks?
Torco

Post by Torco »

Richard W wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:14 pm
Torco wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:26 pm I would think so, yeah :lol: otherwise you'd just grow whatever part is closest to the delivery point. like, if you vomit your milk there's not much point in having boobs, you'd sooner grow -and be attracted to- big bouncy throatties.
So you don't think much to the idea that they're false buttocks?
no, not really: we don't sexually tend to interact with them in any of the same ways (the kinks of slapping boobies and nibbling on buttocks exist, but are way less common, i think, than their counterparts), which suggests the mechanism are different. also, evolutionarily, body parts in odd places is not hot, but rather a turnoff for the most part. a guy may like feet, but it's unlikely he's gonna find a toe in the knee very arousing, and i lean towards the same with buttocks in the chest.

tits are not as feminine or as impossible to find erotic anyway, i don't think we need any such 'they're a crossed wire' explanation: in men there are pectoral muscles, and I'm not that buff but I know a many women like pecs, cause they like for the most part like a little musclature in general. gay men also seem to like pecs, if tom of finland is any guide. it's not that hard to imagine that it goes back to reproduction, breasts being a signifier of sexual maturity, or to childhood, breasts are the first thing you kind of consciously need when you're a baby. this is, incidentally, backed up by the anecdotic observation that men tend to like boobs whether they're large or small, and many even have distinct preferences. I think in sex and arousal a lot of it is signifiers.