Conworld random thread

Conworlds and conlangs
keenir

Re: Conworld random thread

Post by keenir »

Qwynegold wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 amNice designs! 👍
doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pmI actually got the head by designing it with a free online program called "MetaHuman Creator" (designed for outputting 3D models for games, but I'm using still frames from it for the bases for the busts).
Huh, I noticed that at least the two last notes had pretty young people on them. Is this a conscious choice? Because I'm used to seeing only old people on real world money.
Maybe they age well? :)
(or perhaps thats what they looked like when they accomplished something of great import?)

British coins/bills that have the image of HRH on them, tend to be based on what the monarch currently looks like, right?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

keenir wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:20 am
Qwynegold wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 amNice designs! 👍
doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pmI actually got the head by designing it with a free online program called "MetaHuman Creator" (designed for outputting 3D models for games, but I'm using still frames from it for the bases for the busts).
Huh, I noticed that at least the two last notes had pretty young people on them. Is this a conscious choice? Because I'm used to seeing only old people on real world money.
Maybe they age well? :)
(or perhaps thats what they looked like when they accomplished something of great import?)

British coins/bills that have the image of HRH on them, tend to be based on what the monarch currently looks like, right?
While some of the people that appear did live to a ripe age, in fact, what Keenir said is often true: pictures will often match when photos were taken of (or paintings/drawings made) a given person. However, the Queen's picture is a bit of an interesting case: while the picture is updated on British coins, her main photo on Bank of England notes has not been updated, at least since 1992 (and I heard this was at the Queen's instruction).

Anyways, let's look at some real-life examples, because me like money.
More: show
Rafaello on the old ITL 500000 note. He looks quite young.
Greta Garbo on the SEK 100 note. She lived to the ripe age of 85, but stopped acting at a very young age (35), so the photo is more from her heyday as an actress.
Clara Schumann on the DEM 100 note. I wouldn't call her appearance here old.
Hideyo Noguchi on the JPY 1000 note. He died at 51, but this picture looks quite young.

Also, in a way, having younger people was maybe a more conscious choice because of the dead old men that are pervasive on US currency. Though, if you look at the TEF 10 note, the person on it died at quite a young age...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
park bom

Post by park bom »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:35 pm Image
I like money. (Just finished making this.)
Wow, i like this note. looks like a real for me.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:35 pm Image
I like money. (Just finished making this.)
His styling seems quite modern to me, so I'm not sure I believe he lived 1890 - 1964... (He is cute tho)

I have to compliment you on the design, it would be lovely to handle money that looks like this.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

spiced up the climatology of my world a bit ....

This planet has its eccentricity about 0.45, which greatly overwhelms the axial tilt (about 16 deg), meaning that the whole planet has its hot and cold seasons at the same time, apart from some areas far out to sea which don't change that much, and perhaps the extreme polar regions (which are also ocean).

Humans, and for that matter vertebrates, cannot survive in the bottom climate, and hence the area is completely barren and nobody makes their habitat there, but various animals do show up during the ephemeral winter where there is lots of snow, which melts in spring and then boils away soon afterward.

In the top climate, there are hardy trees that are able to withstand the extreme heat since it lasts only a few weeks each year. Humans retreat further up into the mountains, and thus have an advantage over most animals, and can live there. Nonetheless, birds are common because they can also flee to cooler climates during the summer and then return when the temperatures are milder.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Very nice data! Are there any temperate areas anywhere? :)

Did you use any particular model or procedure to get these figures?

Pabappa wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:11 pm the ephemeral winter where there is lots of snow, which melts in spring and then boils away soon afterward.
I'm particularly fond of that detail.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

It's a nice touch that in the southern summer there are only 8 degrees between the average high and the record high. I assume temperatures get compressed as they approach 100 because water boiling out of the ocean will reduce temperature buildup, placing a loose upper limit on temperatures in any area with standing water. I never thought of that, but it makes sense.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Thanks for your replies.
Ares Land wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:33 am Very nice data! Are there any temperate areas anywhere? :)
yes this planet has a lot of water, .... the charts i used are for areas far away from the sea and represent extreme points. on islands and even the west coasts of the continents, temperatures are not as extreme because the planet spends only about a month or two near the sun soaking up heat, and the seasonal lag of the ocean causes the temperatures to mellow out. "temperate" climates in the sense we know them i would have to explain later since there are in some ways similarities and in some ways differences between what i have on my planet and what we have here. seasonal amplitude would be narrowest at some latitude near 30N, not the equator.
Did you use any particular model or procedure to get these figures?
i'd have to explain some other time if you wanted details .... i used excel and did the math on paper, so in a sense yes, but i wouldnt really call that a model in the sense of what weather models are.
Moose-tache wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:22 am It's a nice touch that in the southern summer there are only 8 degrees between the average high and the record high. I assume temperatures get compressed as they approach 100 because water boiling out of the ocean will reduce temperature buildup, placing a loose upper limit on temperatures in any area with standing water. I never thought of that, but it makes sense.
thanks .... i would like to take credit for that, but actually these are both extreme points on the planet's surface, which i chose to serve as examples of the driest possible climate in each hemisphere, so theres actually no water-boiling "specific heat" temperature damping effect here. it simply happens that in the hottest climates on the planet, the absolute maximum temperature is not greatly higher than the average maximum temperature in the hottest month. c.f. Death Valley, Kuwait City, etc which are similarly positioned on earth in that they are very hot in summer but temperatures remain within a fairly narrow band.

i actually dont know if 100 deg C would be a barrier in such a situation, since any humidity would be already contained as water vapor, and nothing would need to boil away for the temperature to cross the barrier.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am i'd have to explain some other time if you wanted details .... i used excel and did the math on paper, so in a sense yes, but i wouldnt really call that a model in the sense of what weather models are.
Oh, I'd love to see the math on this.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am
i actually dont know if 100 deg C would be a barrier in such a situation, since any humidity would be already contained as water vapor, and nothing would need to boil away for the temperature to cross the barrier.
Interesting. I imagine 100C (or whatever the boiling point actually is in the ocean) would be a maximum temperature for the water itself. But the land, especially in dry areas, wouldn't be limited by that. Cool either way.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I would like to look into musical scales based on P5 equivalence. My brief googling and scanning Wikipedia on my phone is leaving me confused. Anybody know a layperson-friendly discussion of these?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:03 pm I would like to look into musical scales based on P5 equivalence. My brief googling and scanning Wikipedia on my phone is leaving me confused. Anybody know a layperson-friendly discussion of these?
I’ve never heard of ‘P5 equivalence’ as a concept applied to musical scales, and searching doesn’t turn up anything either. Where do you see this?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:14 pm
Man in Space wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:03 pm I would like to look into musical scales based on P5 equivalence. My brief googling and scanning Wikipedia on my phone is leaving me confused. Anybody know a layperson-friendly discussion of these?
I’ve never heard of ‘P5 equivalence’ as a concept applied to musical scales, and searching doesn’t turn up anything either. Where do you see this?
It was someone on here talking about how (IIRC) some music in the Caucasus used such equivalence as fundamental.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:15 pm
bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:14 pm
It was someone on here talking about how (IIRC) some music in the Caucasus used such equivalence as fundamental.
In that case, I think it just means that those scales repeat on a period of a perfect fifth rather than an octave. So we consider C and C(an octave higher) and… as the same note, because each is at the same position in the scale; they would consider C and G and D(an octave higher) and A(an octave higher) and… as the same note, for the same reason.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

one possible search term is quintave
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The perfect fifth is especially important in most scales, because it has a ratio of 3:2, the second simplest ratio available other than the octave itself (i.e. 2:1). So it's not completely surprising that people would use quintaves as octaves.

EDIT: In the parallel CBB topic, some beautiful and talented person posted an example of how scales can affect musical style.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

As a side project, Im planning to start up a secret history of Romania in World War II. By this I mean that it begins and ends the war in the same state it did in our timeline, but what happened in between is replaced by metaphorical echoes of the events of the Mallard Wars fought between 4179 and 4182 in my world's timeline. For every detail I add in the Mallard Wars, there will be a corresponding event added to the timeline of World War II.

Since my writing is low fantasy, this idea is wildly incongruous with reality, and essentially, that's the point. Since humans on my world are biologically different from ours, down to having women taller than men, I can't copy over the details literally, and that's why I say it will be a metaphorical representation. But I will push as much as I can to get every detail reconciled with our timeline. The resulting timeline will thus be extremely improbable, but not impossible.

One reason I consider my writing to be fantasy despite the absence of magic is that, in nearly every way, people on planet Teppala live happier and safer lives than people on Earth who otherwise have comparable living standards. Thus, for every detail I can change in this timeline, the lives of the people involved improve. That might mean that my Romania project will itself be a fantasy work, which would fit into the genre of historical fantasy, but I'll avoid putting that label on it.

I plan to keep this project private, both because I perceive it won't be particularly interesting to anybody else .... almost every event in our timeline will be replaced with something considerably more tame ... and because it could be misunderstood, as if I were making light of the events of World War II by turning it into something resembling a medieval fairy tale .... which is not my intent.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Some details I wanted to put in a separate post for ease of reading ....

The point of divergence will be August 30, 1940, the date of the signing of the Second Vienna Award, in which Romania ceded important territory to a country it had until then been seeing as an ally.

The point of convergence may be August 23, 1943, when Romania officially conceded defeat and then reentered the war on the side of the Allies. This was due to a coup d'etat, which is a very convenient place to tie up loose ends, of which there will be quite a lot, I'm sure.

I may need to have "tails" of fantasy story elements in both directions ... e.g. pre-WW2 events confined to Romania which help explain how they managed to insulate themselves from the events outside them .... and post-WW2 events leading up to the gradual Sovietization of Romania and the convergence with the events of our own timeline.

Why Romania? Well, it's long been one of my favorite countries, and I noticed that just by happenstance it entered WW2 in a similar state to the nation of Creamland ... yes, that its name .... in my writing, in that they had previously had a nation consisting of lowlands, mountains, and lowlands again, but then lost the far side of the lowlands to a nation they had thought was their ally. Likewise, they are encouraged to invade an innocent nation, as if to make up for their losses, both in our timeline and in mine.

Will I copy events from our timeline into that of planet Teppala? No, I've never done this and I never will. Even one tiny borrowing, even in a closed timeline such as the Mallard Wars, will spoil the rest of the timeline for me. It would also be out of place in my timeline .... just as having fairy-tale elements in our timeline is wildly improbable, so would it be to have the dark, bloody wars with seven-figure body counts show up in an otherwise fantasy world.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Well it's occurred to me that if Romania really is an island of paradise in an otherwise war-torn world, refugees from both the Axis and Allies would be flooding into Romania from the very outset of war, and that's a loose end I can't tie up even with a coup d'etat followed by Sovietization. Perhaps this will be a darker timeline than I anticipated, but as I said above, I'll push as much as I can to get the fantasy elements into the timeline, but won't cross the line from "improbable", as I put it, to impossible.

I'll let you all know how it goes, but since this timeline is dependent on the timeline of the war on planet Teppala, i might hit a roadblock and have to put this off for quite some time.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

the Romania project, if i get to it, will be about a civil war in Romania .... they join WW2 as an Allied power, but pro-Axis forces take over much of the country and that is why no one flees into it for safety. That's all Ive got so far.
Ares Land wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:59 pm
Pabappa wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am i'd have to explain some other time if you wanted details .... i used excel and did the math on paper, so in a sense yes, but i wouldnt really call that a model in the sense of what weather models are.
Oh, I'd love to see the math on this.
i should be getting to this in November .... it's nothing impressive, just an Excel spreadsheet. Its not like I've got the Clausius-Clapeyron equation running or anything .... though people have been showing me models of weather simulators that are tempting, I dont have any way to use them to simulate a whole planet.

all i can add at this point is that the two climate charts above are both well inland, and that cities along the coast, even in the tropics, will have much milder summers. for example, Paba might be something like 45F cooler than Beyond the Rainbow because it is along the south coast and the cooler ocean air would dominate the climate the way it does in Chile, coastal California, etc even though on Earth that phenomenon is mostly restricted to west coasts.
here's the chart for Paba (without extremes)
fffff.png
fffff.png (35.76 KiB) Viewed 10286 times