What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
Emily

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by Emily »

bradrn wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 am
Emily wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:16 am (currentlyi i have 3 central vowels, but i need to decide if i want them to be separate phonemes or just allophones of one phoneme)
One alternative attested from some Papuan and Chadic languages is to make one central vowel epenthetic: it is absent phonemically but gets inserted at the surface between underlying consonant clusters.
that's a really interesting idea, i might just do that!
bradrn wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 am
(my sketched out parameters just say "agglutinating, ergative-absolutive, prefixing instead of suffixing; VSO")
‘Ergative–absolutive’ is practically meaningless. Do you have any more details?
nope, that line is the entirety of my grammar notes for that language at this time
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

fusijui wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:37 am I'm thinking of putting out a sample of the dictionary of my 'Pseudo-Misihase' conlang (a posteriori Tungusic) -- I saw that Lexique Pro lets you output a compressed self-installing file that's easy to share. Maybe in a few days I'll post it on the forum and see what people think. It's more of an advertisement of Lexique than my conlang, really -- I like it, and wonder if other people might not enjoy it too. So today I tested that feature a bit and started cleaning up a selection of vocabulary to use.
SIL has also made a website dictionary, though I don't know how they did that. But did you know that you can also output a PDF? I think it would be a good idea to offer that as well, because people might be more willing to download a PDF than some other kind of file that needs to install.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Submitted another Patreon post! Not the biggest news, I know, but building up some clout is helpful.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I managed quite a bit of early history for the speakers of a certain project, and redid some early sound changes to streamline them and make them a bit more sensible.
masako

Post by masako »

as of today, I am at 333 glyphs for omyatloko, a third of my goal
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

That's great! Always happy to hear about Kala and omyatloko.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

masako wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:23 am as of today, I am at 333 glyphs for omyatloko, a third of my goal
Nice! Keep chuggin'!

I've been struggling to just make 1st & 2nd person verb endings for Yokai for the last 6+ months. The creative muse has been hibernating.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

masako wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:23 am as of today, I am at 333 glyphs for omyatloko, a third of my goal
I absolutely love how it looks in both modes.

As for myself, I've been working on the Akana relay and I am quite pleased with how the language is turning out.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I played a bit with Simbri dialects.

Standard Simbri:
Tlayin Taris dotli tleiwret mapse yeni Qoan.
In the city of Taris a young man spoke to God.
['t͡ɬajin 'taris ɗo't͡ɬi 't͡ɬejiβrɛt 'mapse 'jeni 'qowan]

Ancestral languages:
Qammonam: Sand Tares ɗonar rime mar tsivra Qoan
['saⁿd ta'ʁes ɗo'naʁ ʁi'me 'maʁ 't͡siv.ʁa 'qowan]
Old Simbri: Tlarien Tares dona tliwret rimie miar Qoan
['t͡ɬa.ʁʲɛn 'ta.ʁes ɗo'na 't͡ɬiβ.ʁɛt 'ʁʲi.mʲɛ 'mʲaʁ 'qo.wan]

Various Simbri dialects:

Standard (Cardosa): ['t͡ɬa.jin 'ta.ɾis ɗo't͡ɬi 't͡ɬejiβɾɛt 'mapse i'je.ni 'qɔ.wan]
Standard (Loqris): ['t͡ɬa.in 'ta.ris ɗo't͡ɬi 't͡ɬejβ.rɛt 'maɓ̥.se 'je.ni 'qo.ʔan]

Inake: ['t͡ɬa:.ʝin 'ta:.ris ɗo't͡ɬe: 't͡ɬe:.ʔiβrɛt 'je:ni 'map.se 'qo:.ʔan]
Korra Wasas: ['tajin 'taris ɗo'ti 'tiβrɛt 'i.ni 'map.se 'qowan]
Marsa: ['laçẽŋ 'taʁis 'dona 'liβʁɛt 'çe.ni 'map.se qoɰɑ̃ŋ]
Jonyan: ['tɻ̝̊a.ʁʌ̃ŋ 'ta.ʁis do.tɻ̝̊ʌ 'tɻ̝̊jʌ.twŏ.ʁɪt 'ʁʌ.mʌ 'map.si 'qa.wẽŋ]
Alaqaan: [tsa'ʁaːn 'taʁis ɗu'na 'tit.wʊ.ʁɪt 'ʁaː.ma: maʁ 'qo.wən]
Mowatlo: ['ɺa.jin 'ta.ɺis ɗa'ʔi 'ɺit.wă.rɛt 'ini 'map.se 'qɔ.jɛn]

A related language, Inid:

Sad Taris domo χinam be Qewen tewerfo
[sad ta'ris do'mo χi'nam be qe'βɛn te'βæ:fɔ]
Emily

Post by Emily »

got some starter sound changes squared away for a modern descendant of gothic
More: show
  • /ɸl-/ > /þl-/ (already found in some gothic words; here it becomes universal)
  • /ɸr-/ > /þr-/
  • vowels are rounded and backed after /w/ or a labiovelar (/a, ɛ/ > /ɔ/; /aː, ɛː/ > /ɔː/; /eː/ > /oː/; /i/ > /u/; /iː, iu/ > /uː/)
  • /hʷ/ > /ɸ/
  • /h/ > /ɸ/ before a consonant word-initially, > /x/ before a consonant otherwise or when word-final, remains /h/ before vowels
  • /ngʷ, nkʷ/ > /mb, mp/
  • remaining labiovelars become plain velars
  • geminates simplify, with compensatory lengthening in preceding vowel (<ddj> becomes /dʒ/)
  • /iu/ > /yː/
  • /w/ and [β] merge as /v/
  • /ɸ/ > /f/
  • most consonants palatalize before /yː, iː, eː, i, j/; if the trigger is /j/, it is deleted (e.g. /foːtjus/ > /foːt͡ʃus/, not /*foːt͡ʃjus/)
    • /k, g, h~x/ > /t͡s, d͡z, ç/
    • /t, d, s, z, n/ > /t͡ʃ, d͡ʒ, ʃ, ʒ, ɲ/
    • /l, r/ > /j/ (but /lj, rj/ > /ʝː/)
    • palatalization is regressive through a consonant cluster, but blocked by a non-palatalizing consonant or by /t͡s, d͡z/ (/stryː/ > /ʃtʃjyː/ but /ngi/ > /ndzi/ not /*ɲdzi/)
  • unstressed short /i, u/ > /ɛ, ɔ/
  • stressed long vowels become diphthongs: /yː, iː, eː/ > /ja/, /uː, oː/ > /wa/, /ɛː, ɔː, aː/ > /ɛʊ, ɔʊ, aʊ/ (if resulting /ja/ or /wa/ is preceded by a liquid, that liquid disappears)
  • unstressed long vowels become short (no change in vowel quality)
  • word-final unstressed vowels deleted in words longer than two syllables (or in words longer than one syllable if always unstressed, such as an article)
  • consonant cluster voice leveling
    • any unvoiced consonant adjacent to any nasal or liquid is voiced
    • otherwise, voicing is regressive from final consonant in cluster
  • syllabic /l, r, m, n/ (i.e. when found between consonants or when word-final after a consonant) > /ul, ur, um, un)
obviously still a lot more to go but i feel like this is a decent start. grammatically the plan is so far characterized more by retentions than by innovations (retaining dual number, morphological passive, SOV basic order, etc.), but there's still a lot of room for changes as well. i need to do more tests on how the sound changes affect the inflection and conjugation system and see where to go from there. i'm also toying with analogizing a 3rd-person dual pronoun although maybe this would be a bridge too far lol
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Emily wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:21 am i'm also toying with analogizing a 3rd-person dual pronoun although maybe this would be a bridge too far lol
pronouns can do whatever

(also consider Tocharian, where the 1SG pronouns are etymologically difficult)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

working on idioms by putting words from three vocabulary lists together ..... the leftmost list contains a wide variety of words, whereas the other two have a smaller selection, more repeated words, and more obscene words. some of these idioms will just turn into regular compounds.

this is paralinguistic, so i dont have the opportunity to make rhymes or puns ... they just stand on their own and thus could even be used in English though most would not be so readily understood. i used soap as a placeholder noun for idioms in which that part is intended to be variable according to context. the other idioms are fixed just the way they are.

some samples .... i left out most of the ones with obscene words, but not all:
More: show
blue peach
to gather coins into a purse
to drink the moon
to scrape an itch with tree bark
listening to someone with a full bladder
to write on one's skin with a feather tip
to touch with a pen
to roll a log down a hill
seal's toes
to explore new lands while in disguise
soldier in a trap in a river
to sit on a mirror
to record weather events (like snow in an eclipse)
to eat seeds
spy like a hookworm in a strawberry
foreign chrysalis
false frog
to bleed while hiding in a pond
surprise alcohol
to be a dot for many years
fingertip fight (type of dance)
to decide between green and black
champion of the body-part touching game
children still in the egg in the sunset
to crush someone and then rotate the foot
sea louse that carries plagues like a flea
with sticky bare feet
to add; to hug
to kiss away the sun; the sun in eclipse
to hold a door closed with one's elbow or knee
to grope underneath one's bed
series, list, menu in a column
to hunt in one's underwear
to dance with a tree
to bite one's fingers as a sign of impatience
to spill secrets only in a book
symbols in the sky (cumulus clouds)
to discover a new planet
to take over a school
to wrap an umbilical cord in a knot
bee following a human home
to use a blanket as a raft
to write on a cloth with paint
profit from selling soap
to stop someone right before a goal
to block someone's path into a bath station
to allow someone to urinate
to follow the sun for a year
to rub one's pants against a tree to clean them
to shoot honey
writing words in a flower garden
to run through scraping plants
straight wall of roses in a field
to urinate far off a cliff and enjoy the view
to answer a thorny plant
womb as stomach (digestion)
to scoop sand with one's feet
to heat up milk
soap in a forest
these are all just random lists, though i play with the meanings a bit, as i did when i was deriving semantic shifts .... a lot of these don't seem like they could mean much, but I'm willing to accept these as valid idioms, even if some don't make sense.
masako

Post by masako »

360!
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Today (around 6am) I decided to do two things:

1. Incorporate antepenult deletion into my P conlang.

2. Go back to the Proto-PQL phonology and incorporate a PIE style series of laryngeals in order to add some more flavour as the langs develop. I decided on the following:

h1 – [h] with vocalic allophone [ə], no vowel colouring.

h2 – [χ] or [ʁ] (undecided) with vocalic allophone [ɐ], a-colouring of vowels.

h3 – [ɣʷ] or [ʁʷ] (undecided) with vocalic allophone [ɵ], o-colouring of vowels.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I previously made a list of Japanese verbs to work out sound changes on, realized that it would work better if, at least to start, all the verbs used as examples were two syllables each (or one in the few cases that was possible). I got through the type 1 verbs, although I unfortunately couldn't find an unaccented verb ending in つ or an accented verb ending in ぶ, at least none that were 2 syllables.
A cat and a linguist.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

You could always introduce an aphetic one. One thing that strikes me about Japonic languages (at least Japanese and earlier stages of it) is its tendency to form contractions when its grammatical forms become long (which they often do, being frequently accretions of etymologically-recognisable words), so an aphetic form or two developing from the loss of the initial syllable when the affix is long, with the stem of the verb being remodelled based on it (or just an aphetic form existing because it does) wouldn't strike me as at all implausible.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Jonlang wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 am Today (around 6am) I decided to do two things:

2. Go back to the Proto-PQL phonology and incorporate a PIE style series of laryngeals in order to add some more flavour as the langs develop. I decided on the following:

h3 – [ɣʷ] or [ʁʷ] (undecided) with vocalic allophone [ɵ], o-colouring of vowels.
The latter is in essence a blatant rip-off. There's nothing wrong with inspirations from natlangs (we all do that), but this is virtually identical to the PIE laryngeals. At least, you are not ripping off someone else's conlang (though some people would call PIE a conlang); and perhaps you will find developments of these laryngeals in your daughter languages which are different from anything found in known IE languages (which essentially all, except the Anatolian ones, just drop the laryngeals, leaving only the vowel colourings, and, when the laryngeals follow the vowels, vowel lengthenings behind; so it is not really difficult to do something more interesting with them), in which case this "rip-off" is excusable.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:21 am
Jonlang wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 am Today (around 6am) I decided to do two things:

The latter is in essence a blatant rip-off. There's nothing wrong with inspirations from natlangs (we all do that), but this is virtually identical to the PIE laryngeals. At least, you are not ripping off someone else's conlang (though some people would call PIE a conlang); and perhaps you will find developments of these laryngeals in your daughter languages which are different from anything found in known IE languages (which essentially all, except the Anatolian ones, just drop the laryngeals, leaving only the vowel colourings, and, when the laryngeals follow the vowels, vowel lengthenings behind; so it is not really difficult to do something more interesting with them), in which case this "rip-off" is excusable.
I know it's a rip-off but it's not like the proto-lang does anything other than feed into the actual conlangs. My proto's roots, however, allow more than e and o vowels and so the laryngeal colouring works more like Germanic and Celtic vowel mutation/affection in that the surrounding vowels are "pulled" in the direction of the laryngeal's underlying vowel ([ɐ] or [ɵ]) and with h3 it causes rounding too. So by the "late" Proto-PQL stage the laryngeal colouring changes vowels thus:

h2 causes a-colouring:
  • e > a
  • i > e
  • o > ɵ
  • u > ɵ
  • a is unchanged
h3 causes o-colouring:
  • e > o
  • i > ʉ
  • u > unchanged
  • a > ɔ
  • o is unchanged
These changes are based on my assumption that shifts to pre-existing phonemes are more likely than creating new ones, hence i > ʉ. The Late-PQL stage then splits into Proto-L and Proto-PQ so I'm not yet sure where to go with them. h2 ([χ]) may well become [k] in one branch and h3 ([ɣʷ]) may merge with [gʷ]. I plan to lose the laryngeal thing pretty quickly.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Fine. So your language has a much richer vowel system than PIE, which means that something different comes out of it, and the whole system is in no way a rip-off. That's good!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I have redone much of the CT logosyllabic canon. It’s up to 130something glyphs in its present form.