Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: Random Thread

Post by Ares Land »

Funny how that idiom works in at least three languages!

(It exists in German too, right?)
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 am
Raphael wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 am It's raining quite intensely, and the sun is shining quite brightly.
The devil is beating his wife.
Who? Beating his what?
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

To be honest, this is the first time I hear that idiom.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've heard it before, but, thinking it was silly, I've never used it.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I prefer calling it a fox's wedding but that came from Japanese and possibly more generally East Asia. Before that I didn't have a term for the phenomenon.
A cat and a linguist.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

In South Africa it’s called a ‘monkey’s wedding’.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Wikipedia says "trickster" animals getting married is a common theme. The fox's wedding, for example, is also found across eastern India. But western India and Pakistan prefer jackal's wedding. Other highlights include: the wedding of two ghosts, and the rich and poor are getting married.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

In Indonesian I heard 'hujan orang mati', dead people's rain, which Wikipedia also mentions with qualifications.

I think my grandmother uses a Low German or Missingsch version of 'The devil is making pancakes'.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:15 pm To be honest, this is the first time I hear that idiom.
Same.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

As a child, I found it an odd expression. I was like, “He’s the Devil. Shouldn’t he be beating his wife all the time?”

A Barbadian friend used to variation “The Devil’s beating his wife with the coucou stick.”
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Somehow I've never heard any idiom at all for this situation.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:01 am Somehow I've never heard any idiom at all for this situation.
Neither have I.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I think of it as the kind of rural folk sayings you don't hear much these days. (I'm sort of actively looking for them)

I heard that 'the Devil' is really Jupiter. Probably too good of an explanation to be true, but we do find odd pagan survivals from time to time.

(I learned recently that the French word lutin 'pixie' derives from Neptunus. One remaining connection is that lutins were associated with stables and horses, and in rural Gaul Neptune was mostly important as a horse god.)
malloc

Post by malloc »

Decades ago when I was very young, my neurologist diagnosed with me with autism, or Aspergers syndrome more specifically. However, the paperwork associated with this diagnosis has long since disappeared and the neurologist himself retired years ago. Currently my symptoms seem quite mild compared to what we normally associate with autism. I work at an ordinary job and rent my own apartment. All that makes me wonder whether it makes sense to consider myself autistic. Technically I could, yet it feels dishonest considering I lack physical confirmation of an official diagnosis or the same hardships as most autistic people.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Not having paperwork doesn't mean anything. And not all ASD people aren't able to work or live on their own by any means. So just because you don't have some paperwork from ages ago and you are able to work and live independently doesn't mean anything.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

Has anybody here every used an online language tutor to learn a language? A friend suggested verbling, but it is not clear to me if doing the online/zoom-thing will work for me. I can imagine it is hard to stay disciplined without having any real contact.

Then again, it seems there are only limited options for me to learn Georgian where I'm at..
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

malloc wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:50 pm Decades ago when I was very young, my neurologist diagnosed with me with autism, or Aspergers syndrome more specifically. However, the paperwork associated with this diagnosis has long since disappeared and the neurologist himself retired years ago. Currently my symptoms seem quite mild compared to what we normally associate with autism. I work at an ordinary job and rent my own apartment. All that makes me wonder whether it makes sense to consider myself autistic. Technically I could, yet it feels dishonest considering I lack physical confirmation of an official diagnosis or the same hardships as most autistic people.
I don't even remember when I got diagnosed dyspraxic but it doesn't stop me saying it. And it doesn't stop me living my life regardless.

If you really want to check, you could maybe book an appointment with another neurologist or see if the old neurologist still has the paperwork.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

New posters have appeared on my street. One suggests: 'Replace Macron with small clementine peels', another: 'replace Marine Le Pen with polenta', yet another: 'Replace capitalism with a good nap.'
(Part of the joke is that it plays on the 'Great Replacement' conspiracy theory.)

These are probably the more inspiring politcal slogans I've seen in a long time.
alice

Post by alice »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 pm New posters have appeared on my street. One suggests: 'Replace Macron with small clementine peels'
Obvious linguistic corollary: "Remplacez Macron par le circonflèxe".
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

alice wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:25 am
Ares Land wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 pm New posters have appeared on my street. One suggests: 'Replace Macron with small clementine peels'
Obvious linguistic corollary: "Remplacez Macron par le circonflèxe".
The existence of Emmanuel Macron implies the existence of Emmanuel Brève.