What color do you associate which language with?

Conworlds and conlangs
Qwynegold

What color do you associate which language with?

Post by Qwynegold »

Oh no! My previous thread about this aux/enge/artlang has been pruned. I hope I didn't miss any valuable replies. :(

I have this list of natlangs that I'm gonna borrow words from, and I'm currently putting together a map that shows where each language is spoken. So when I need a word for some plant or animal or any other thing that can be pinpointed to a specific location, I'll look at the map and see what language is spoken at that location, and then borrow the word from that language.

There are 38 languages I believe, and I need to mark each with a unique hue. So I want to ask you guys which of these languages you associate with what color, and why. I have already filled in some of these, but you can still give me suggestions for any of these languages if you think you have a better suggestion. The only limits are that it must be a single color and not some gradient or pattern, and black and white can't be used.
  • Akan ████ - because the Akan people are known for metallurgy, including bronze casting
  • Bambara
  • Burmese - maybe ████ because they have all these golden pagodas and Buddha statues in Burma?
  • English - ████ because this color is found on the flags of the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand
  • Fula - ████ because they are pastoral nomads IIRC and they live in the Sahel region, and I imagine grass there has this color
  • Hausa - ████ because they also live in the Sahel, but further north so khaki goes with that
  • Hindustani (Hindi-Urdu)
  • Hungarian - ████ because they like paprika and because they have a special word for a deep red color
  • Japanese - ████ because it's the color of sakura
  • Kazakh - ████ because it's the Turkic color and it's on their flag
  • Korean - ████ Idk, maybe because I've been playing too much Civ 3
  • Malay
  • Mandarin - ████ - because it's on the Chinese flag and they use this color a lot in their architecture and other things
  • Modern Standard Arabic - ████ Islam green
  • Oromo
  • Persian - ████ isn't the Persian landscape sort of orange? And isn't the apricot a pretty popular fruit over there?
  • Russian - ████ icy color because it's northern
  • Spanish - ████ because there's yellow on the Spanish flag and because Spain is known for sun
  • Swahili
  • Tamil - ████ because the Tamil people are apparently known for their steel and their weaponry
  • Telugu
  • Thai - ████ Idk, they seem to like bright colors in Thailand
  • Turkish - ████ another light blue shade for a Turkic language
  • Uzbek - ████ also Turkic, and they use this turquoise on their mosques
  • Vietnamese
  • Yoruba
  • Ancient Greek - ████ because of Greek olives
  • Latin - ████ this is like the color of the Roman empire
  • Sanskrit
  • Bengali - ████ because of the Bangladeshi flag? Idk
  • Filipino/Tagalog
  • French - ████ I think this color suits the likes of Louis XIV. And don't they also grow a lot of lavender in France?
  • German - ████ the current German flag, and some of the past ones, have included black, and since I can't use black this is the closest option. This color also makes me think of industry which they have a lot of Germany.
  • Italian - ████ burnt siena because Siena is in Italy
  • Javanese
  • Marathi
  • Portuguese
  • Punjabi
Distinctive colors that are still unused: ████, ████ (magenta), ████, ████ (salmon), ████, ████, ████, ████, ████, ████
Zaarin

Re: What color do you associate which language with?

Post by Zaarin »

Personally I'd give that unused royal blue to Korea because of the Korean flag. Purple isn't a color I'd really associate with Korea.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

yoruba feels like a magenta.
i think swahili could be the color twice right of salmon
when the hell did that happen
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

There's really not enough colors to make it work, but I'd really want a color for each major language family, with variations in saturation and lightness within them.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Zaarin wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:34 am Personally I'd give that unused royal blue to Korea because of the Korean flag. Purple isn't a color I'd really associate with Korea.
Oh, that's right! I don't know how I didn't notice that there's still an unused color that's super common in flags.

However, when it comes to purple, please see the following images:
More: show
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

bbbosborne wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pm yoruba feels like a magenta.
Haha, it could be. The languages in India and South East Asia also feel like different kinds of purples and pinks (and light greens) to me.
bbbosborne wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pmi think swahili could be the color twice right of salmon
Medium brown? But why?
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

zompist wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:44 pm There's really not enough colors to make it work, but I'd really want a color for each major language family, with variations in saturation and lightness within them.
In this project? Yeah no, I have to try and choose colors in such a way that two similar shades don't appear next to one another. Especially if there are linguistic exclaves.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

All of this seems to have no reason and also in the wrong subforum.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 am
bbbosborne wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pmi think swahili could be the color twice right of salmon
Medium brown? But why?
dunno, just gut feeling. :D
when the hell did that happen
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 am
Zaarin wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:34 am Personally I'd give that unused royal blue to Korea because of the Korean flag. Purple isn't a color I'd really associate with Korea.
Oh, that's right! I don't know how I didn't notice that there's still an unused color that's super common in flags.

However, when it comes to purple, please see the following images:
More: show
When I lived in Korea, hanboks always seemed to be red, royal blue, magenta, and lime green. :lol: I don't ever recall seeing them in colors as subtle as those pictures. :P
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Zaarin wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pmWhen I lived in Korea, hanboks always seemed to be red, royal blue, magenta, and lime green. :lol: I don't ever recall seeing them in colors as subtle as those pictures. :P
Oh, I see. :lol:
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Javanese is certainly this. It reminds me of batik: ████
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Akangka wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:38 am Javanese is certainly this. It reminds me of batik: ████
Huh, now that I looked it up on WP, there are a lot of brown tones. I've always associated batik with all the colors of the rainbow. :P
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I use color as well in my spreadsheet, but to make it easier to read I've had to use distinctive foreground colors as well. If you run out of colors or can't decide, perhaps you could give 2 languages the same background color but different colors for the text.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

It's finally finished!
Do you think I should skip the texts?

EDIT: It looks awful. Here's a downloadable PDF.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Language books in Australia all seem to be:

French - blue
German - black
Italian - green
Spanish - orange
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm Language books in Australia all seem to be:

French - blue
German - black
Italian - green
Spanish - orange
Heh, that's because those colors are found on their flags. Except for orange. :? Incidentally, in Civilization 3 Germany is black and in Europa Universalis 4 France is blue.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Qwynegold wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 pm
Imralu wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm Language books in Australia all seem to be:

French - blue
German - black
Italian - green
Spanish - orange
Heh, that's because those colors are found on their flags. Except for orange. :?
Ah, true. And orange is what you get when you mix red and yellow, so that also makes sense. Here in Germany, the language section of bookstores is mostly coloured by the brands of the publications - yellow for Langenscheidt, green for Pons, pinky purple for Kauderwelsch.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU