Naturalization and Citizenship Oaths

Conworlds and conlangs
doctor shark

Naturalization and Citizenship Oaths

Post by doctor shark »

If you naturalize as/become a citizen in a foreign country, you often, at some point, make an oath or affirmation to your new country, which sometimes says quite a bit about what the country values. As a result, I was curious as to, in your given concountries/conworlds, what sort of oath would be sworn (and what the process of naturalization could look like, if interested in sharing).

Of course, I started the topic, so I should share:
Telèmor
The oath of nationality is made at the end of the naturalization process and, once accepted, is the moment from when a person becomes a Telemor citizen. As Telemor culture traditionally places greater value in written oaths than spoken pledges, the main requirement of acquiring citizenship (whether by naturalization or another means) is that the Oath of Naturalization is copied by hand by the applicant and signed before being recited in person, normally before a municipal officer. The citizenship ceremony normally involves, after short introductory remarks, the person in question writing out the oath by hand, reciting the oath with their right hand raised in a Schwurhand, signing it (with another municipal officer countersigning the oath form), and then the municipal officer declaring that the person is now a citizen and presenting them with the certificate of naturalization.

The oath is quite simple:
Ie judete avõ (mièir Dieur, și) si peuplai și Membri de Fedèrațio Telèmor, c̦e istrie une națiunalar laiato / un națiunalan laiata de Fedèrațio și c̦e satisforie fideieu si dratai și șe obligasione națiunalitii.
[jɛ ʒuˈdetɛ aˈvɔ̃ (mʲəjɾ dzjʊɾ ʃi) si ˈpʊplaj ʃi ˈmɛmbɾi dɛ fɛdᵊˈɾat͡sjo ˈtelᵊmoɾ t͡ʃɛ ˈistɾjɛ ˈunɛ nat͡sjuˈnalaɾ laˈjato / un nat͡sjuˈnalan laˈjatɐ dɛ fɛdᵊˈɾat͡sjo ʃi t͡ʃɛ satisˈfoɾjɛ fiˈdei̯ʲʊ si ˈdɾataj ʃi ʃɛ obligaˈsjonɛ nat͡sjunaˈlitiː]
1.SG swear.1.SG.PRES before (1.GEN.M god | and) DEF.PL.M people and member.PL of.M.DEF federation Telemor.M | that be.1.SG.FUT.SUBJ one.M citizen.M loyal.M / one.F citizen.F loyal.F of.M.DEF federation and that satisfy.1.SG.FUT.SUBJ faithful.ADV DEF.PL.M duty.PL and DEF.PL.F obligation.PL nationality.GEN.M.PL
I swear before (God and) the people and Members* of the Telemor Federation that I will be a loyal citizen of the Federation and that I will faithfully perform the duties and obligations of citizenship.

*Members of the Federation are the first-level administrative divisions. Sometimes they're called "regions" or "provinces" (rejione), "cantons" (cãtone), "federated state" (estati fedèrațioi), or rarely "republics" (rèpovlice), depending on the entity.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.