Change My View: Jan Misali Is Kinda Bad

Conworlds and conlangs
Starbeam

Re: Change My View: Jan Misali Is Kinda Bad

Post by Starbeam »

Emily wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 am
Nortaneous wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:46 pm all youtubers are bad hth
except the australian guy who posts videos of the cool HO scale dioramas he makes
You thinking of Luke Towan?
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Emily

Post by Emily »

Starbeam wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:42 am
Emily wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 am
Nortaneous wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:46 pm all youtubers are bad hth
except the australian guy who posts videos of the cool HO scale dioramas he makes
You thinking of Luke Towan?
the very same!
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Hell yeah! Glad to see another fan of him online. I don't even possess the energy or resources to make model cities, the guy's just so enrapturing. Tho, it helps that i love model cities/ model trains.
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Emily

Post by Emily »

i started a model diner in like, august, and it's still semi-assembled on top of a cutting board on top of my printer. i need to get around to finishing it! really all io have left at this stage is putting on the windows, and then gluing the parts together
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Emily wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 am i started a model diner in like, august, and it's still semi-assembled on top of a cutting board on top of my printer. i need to get around to finishing it! really all io have left at this stage is putting on the windows, and then gluing the parts together
That sounds cool! I'd love to see it when it's done, you could post it in the daily creativity thread
kadmii

Post by kadmii »

Controversial opinion: Jan Misali and NativLang are both fine
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

YouTube gets way too much hate IMO.
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Vijay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:08 pm YouTube gets way too much hate IMO.
Absolutely. It's not a replacement for education in this case, but I vastly adore the democratization of art and media. Any and all complaints about Youtube being an amateurish and abusive place need to measure up to Hollywood being supposedly the "better" option. Of course, it's only a location. It could be Newgrounds or Veoh for all i know.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

There are so many things I got to learn through YouTube (especially about North Korea). While it may theoretically have been possible for me to learn them in some other way, YouTube was a much more efficient resource for this purpose.
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Vijay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:11 pm There are so many things I got to learn through YouTube (especially about North Korea). While it may theoretically have been possible for me to learn them in some other way, YouTube was a much more efficient resource for this purpose.
Please do not tell me you're the type who thinks North Korea good, instead of just not the supreme hellscape idiots think it is. Still, I would trust Youtube more on the subject than say, CNN.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Actually I think his latest episode of conlang critic is about how the 'conlang critic' formula is kinda shite, so i mean... yeah.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Starbeam wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:20 pm
Vijay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:11 pm There are so many things I got to learn through YouTube (especially about North Korea). While it may theoretically have been possible for me to learn them in some other way, YouTube was a much more efficient resource for this purpose.
Please do not tell me you're the type who thinks North Korea good, instead of just not the supreme hellscape idiots think it is.
Oh, no, I'd just always been curious because I'd never learned anything at all about North Korea before (other than that the capital is Pyongyang and it's some kind of communist hellhole people sometimes manage to escape from into China, which apparently has a policy to deport them). EDIT: I had also seen a picture of a few propaganda posters in Pyongyang and was vaguely familiar with the names Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il.
Last edited by Vijay on Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

I hesitate to call NK communist at all, but relief to know you're not a tankie lol. In any case, what did you watch outta curiosity?
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Music videos (primarily footage of the Pochonbo Electronic Ensemble), some propaganda news reports, documentaries, videos made by and/or of defectors, video footage apparently smuggled out of North Korea (one video that made me feel traumatized was of a prison even though nothing that unusual happened in it), and I think a few travel videos
Lichen

Post by Lichen »

Back do conlanging for a mo: what do we think of other conlang youtubers? The likes of Biblaridion, Artifexian, DJP, etc.?
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Conlanging is not Artifexians forte, as he admits himself.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

I put on LangTime Studio while I'm doing dishes. Otherwise I'd never get through those videos.

Both LangTime and Biblaridion requires you to focus intensely for a very long time, or you'll get lost and have no idea what they're talking about.

I haven't watched Artifexian in a long time because he does like conworlding guides, and I'm like "yeah, I'm gonna watch that when I've gotten around to do those specific things myself", which never happens.
Torco

Post by Torco »

I very much enjoy worldbuilding notes, nakari speardane, biblaridion and nguh. xidnaf's great but doesn't produce anymore. there's also a few small channels which seem to have come out of the nguh discord. a few more were here if i remember https://youtu.be/n9_ORjsbd0M
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Here to say I just watched c by Jan Misali and much enjoyed the credits song:
Jan Misali wrote:the letter C has folks singing "it should be removed"
that without it the alphabet would be improved
it's a common complaint that's misguided at best
no you can't just replace C with K and with S

you know S becomes voiced intervocalically
and suffixes preserve etymology
if it's all inconsistent, why you focus on C
when the quote-unquote problem is much worse with G

if you were to cut C, then what you'd have in store
is you're left with more problems than you had before
if you learned nothing else, just remember this:
English spelling reforms break more than they can fix
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Dumb takes in the song (who says C is the only problem?) but i admit that's a catchy tune.