Grammaticalization Quickie Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Ælfwine

Re: Grammaticalization Quickie Thread

Post by Ælfwine »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pm Maybe it just comes from having the 3rd person be the only form available to use in such a position in the first place. I typed the example in English because I dont actually know a language that uses person marking inside of a relative clause. My understanding is that in e.g. Spanish, all such clauses are in the 3rd person regardless of who the agent of the verb is. Even if this is an areal feature, if we assume it goes back to PIE it would be that way in Germanic too.
Maybe that's what is happening here too. But doesn't the fact that it is declined in the 3rd person contradict the fact that there are 1st and 2nd person pronouns being used in the examples? (Or would these be the agents of the verb?)

Sorry, my knowledge here isn't very good.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pmMaybe it just comes from having the 3rd person be the only form available to use in such a position in the first place. I typed the example in English because I dont actually know a language that uses person marking inside of a relative clause. My understanding is that in e.g. Spanish, all such clauses are in the 3rd person regardless of who the agent of the verb is.
Modern English always uses the 3rd person not matter what, but Early Modern English and Latin have no problem conjugating verbs in the 1st or 2nd person inside relative clauses. Spanish does so but with some oddities.

When ye pray, say, our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. (KJV, Luke 11:2)
'When you pray, say: "Heavenly Father, may your name be held sacred...."'

Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, how is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? For the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. (KJV, John 4:9)
'Then the woman from Samaria says to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, are asking me, a woman from Samaria, for something to drink? Jews don't interact with Samaritans."'

(Yes, there's no need for me to translate these. It just amuses me to do so.)

Spanish is funny because the agreement is only maintained in the plural, not the singular:
soy el que dibujó la imagen
eres el que dibujó la imagen
es el que dibujó la imagen
somos los que dibujamos la imagen
sois los que dibujasteis la imagen
son los que dibujaron la imagen

1st and 2nd person singular take the 3rd person singular, but 1st and 2nd person plural stay in those persons.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

I'm not sure what relative clauses have to do with this anyway. There is no relative clause in "I made that"!

As for marking... is there marking normally? North sea west germanic languages (as this clearly seems to be, despite being called 'crimean') aren't noted for their super-strong morphological retention at the best of times.

And would it be written if it were there? This isn't a scholarly transcription but an impressionistic one, and the differences would likely be small.

Dutch has - for the 1s, -t for the 2s/3s, and -en for the plural; but the -t is dropped in the past tense (there's a different -te to mark past tense). Low German has -st for 2s, but has -t for all the plurals. Frisian is the same but with -e for the plural. English has -s for 3s and - for everything else.

It's easy to imagine forms like "maltthata" being written just plain "malthata" by a non-native transcribing impressionistially.

Indeed, 'var-thata' for 'made that' would appear to already be missing both the -k of the root AND the -t of the past tense. I don't know if this means there was massive loss of consonants, or if it means that coda consonants were lost in clusters, or if it just means that whatever person wrote that down just couldn't hear coda consonants before /T/.
Ælfwine

Post by Ælfwine »

Salmoneus wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:46 am I'm not sure what relative clauses have to do with this anyway. There is no relative clause in "I made that"!

As for marking... is there marking normally? North sea west germanic languages (as this clearly seems to be, despite being called 'crimean') aren't noted for their super-strong morphological retention at the best of times.
This language is hardly a north sea language, and it cannot be: it shares several isoglosses with Biblical Gothic and other East Germanic languages, such as the raising of ē1 > ī (as opposed to WGmc lowering to ā) and the dental reflex of PGmc *jj > -d- as commonly cited in ada. Other retentions such as the preservation of PGmc -*z as -s (schuos, fers) and the dental fricative in goltz as least suggest an early divergence from Common Germanic.

If this language is a "North Sea Germanic" language, then it could only have split before many of the features common to North Sea Germanic (or Plattdietsch or whatever) became apparent... I can only cite a-mutation and -ð- fortition as common isoglosses with the former that happened relatively early, possibly before the migration of the Goths to the Crimea (perhaps late 3rd century). Of course these innovations might be due to convergent evolution than genetic relationship.

Anyway, small rant over...

You are probably right, and I suggested that there might not have been person marking here, especially given that Crimean Gothic seems to reduce many vowels to schwa — for whats it worth, I preserve person marking in my conlang.
And would it be written if it were there? This isn't a scholarly transcription but an impressionistic one, and the differences would likely be small.

Dutch has - for the 1s, -t for the 2s/3s, and -en for the plural; but the -t is dropped in the past tense (there's a different -te to mark past tense). Low German has -st for 2s, but has -t for all the plurals. Frisian is the same but with -e for the plural. English has -s for 3s and - for everything else.
I agree. And if we take the corpus at face value, it seems to align closest to Dutch here, unless the /s/ in the 2nd person was somehow elided. Which if person marking has been obscured, could have been buffered by resumptive pronouns (my theory at least, although it explains the -o in "tzo" as a schwa from reduction as a clitic.)
It's easy to imagine forms like "maltthata" being written just plain "malthata" by a non-native transcribing impressionistially.
You are probably right, and this has been suggested by at least one scholar. Alternatively, here the cluster [tθ] has been simplified to just [t].
Indeed, 'var-thata' for 'made that' would appear to already be missing both the -k of the root AND the -t of the past tense. I don't know if this means there was massive loss of consonants, or if it means that coda consonants were lost in clusters, or if it just means that whatever person wrote that down just couldn't hear coda consonants before /T/.
Addendum: This word seems to correspond to Biblical Gothic waurhta, which is the past tense form, so at least here there is no /k/. /h/ is elided everywhere in CrGo (c.f. [h]ano) I suggest something like waurt + þata with simplification of the cluster [tθ].

I don't think I was clear earlier, I want to know what might be the morphological or syntactical use of a clitic object pronoun, as is suggested by malthata, vvarthata, etc. (And my knowledge here isn't good.) I suggested it might be a relative pronoun introducing relative clauses, like English "that" is sometimes used for, but you are correct that "I made that" does not have this.
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

How common is it for languages that don't normally make singular/plural distinctions to have such a distinction in pronouns?
dhok

Post by dhok »

StrangerCoug wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm How common is it for languages that don't normally make singular/plural distinctions to have such a distinction in pronouns?
Not uncommon: see WALS. Notable examples are Cantonese, Malagasy and Wichita. Mandarin is coded as having nominal plural marking, but this is only for animates and is nowhere near obligatory; it certainly doesn't belong in the same category as Turkish...
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

So I've got a fluid-S secundative language whose nouns and adjectives have five cases: patientive, agentive, instrumental, genitive, and possessed. The genitive and possessive stack with both each other and the core three cases, and I need a name for "non-genitive, non-possessed" for that row in my declension table the way I'm organizing it. "Basic"? "Core"?
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

StrangerCoug wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:53 am I need a name for "non-genitive, non-possessed" for that row in my declension table the way I'm organizing it. "Basic"? "Core"?
"Simple", perhaps?
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

I like that.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Or "plain".
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I like ‘plain’ as well; I’ve seen it used in similar situations before.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

"Plain" works, too.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Suppose you have a language where there are different conjunctions for joining nouns, verbs, and clauses. (There is also a lot of zero-derivation between verbs and nouns.) Is it plausible that conjunctions for nouns and/or verbs could develop into classifiers/markers for nouns (and/or for verbs)?
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

An infinitive marker developping from the conjunction 'and' is not unheard of: cf Ylikoski 2017 for South Sámi. This paper tells of an influence from Scandinavian, where the conjunction and the infinitive marker are already homophonous; but we could imagine an autonomous development in a conlang going like "I go and (I) see" > "I go to see".

As for the nominal marker... first an instrumental/comitative ("I and knife cut meat" > "I with knife cut meat"), which then goes its way to become a core case (e.g. ergative), followed by a loss of the case system, keeping only that one form? That path is much less straightforward.
Yaa unák thual na !
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vilike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:02 pm An infinitive marker developping from the conjunction 'and' is not unheard of: cf Ylikoski 2017 for South Sámi. This paper tells of an influence from Scandinavian, where the conjunction and the infinitive marker are already homophonous; but we could imagine an autonomous development in a conlang going like "I go and (I) see" > "I go to see".
The World Lexicon of Grammaticalisation lists this same development as happening in Mingrelian and ǃXun as well. It isn’t just infinitives either: ‘and’ most commonly seems to develop into a general subordinator, with it developing meanings of conditionality and ‘as soon as’ in Mingrelian, and acting as a general adverbialiser and purposive.
As for the nominal marker... first an instrumental/comitative ("I and knife cut meat" > "I with knife cut meat"), which then goes its way to become a core case (e.g. ergative), followed by a loss of the case system, keeping only that one form? That path is much less straightforward.
This development sounds strange to me though… as far as I’m aware, this development usually goes from ‘with’ to ‘and’, rather than the other way around.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

So I have this noun of unknown meaning, saǧumsa/saǧūmas whose shape I plan on using to derive nouns from such that the pattern is CaǧuCCa/CaǧūCaC. What could this pattern/noun mean if it produces the noun ḫaǧulla/ḫaǧūlal "wall used to surround and protect settlements" from ḫ-l-l "to bend"?
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

I keep hearing that head-initial languages are have a preference for prefixes, while head-final languages have a preference for suffixes, and while this makes some sense to me from a synchronic perspective, I just don't get how it works out diachronically. Like, suppose you have a strictly head-final, SOV language. Then pronouns are always going to precede the verb, so if those pronouns eventually become fused to the verb and develop into person marking affixes, they're going to fuse as prefixes, right? I can't imagine they would somehow move to the other side and fuse as suffixes.

Yet, French seems to provide a counterexample to this for the reverse (head-initial) case. Like, people talk about french fusing its enclitic pronouns to the verb as prefixes and whatnot. And, well, obviously French is head-initial, so you'd expect the object pronouns to have become clitics that attach on the right. But for some reason, French moves them to before the verb. Why did this happen? Is this to be expected, or is it an anomaly of the Romance languages in particular?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

For French, that's because the (unstressed) pronouns still have the same position they had in Latin: before the verb. So these clitics never really moved.

For your other interrogation, note that I'm speculating, but I think it's possible for verbal person marking to come from possessive markers, which in head-final languages like Turkic come generally at the end.
Yaa unák thual na !
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Vilike wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:29 amFor your other interrogation, note that I'm speculating, but I think it's possible for verbal person marking to come from possessive markers, which in head-final languages like Turkic come generally at the end.
This is likely what happened in Ancient Egyptian, where the normal verbal person markers are identical with the possessive suffixes (and are not used with a full nominal subject)
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

What's a more succinct way to say "the boundary between two morphemes not bound to each other"? I don't want to use the term "word boundary" because I want to allow for compound words containing more than one free morpheme, and I'd also like some words to be clitics and behave more like bound than free morphemes.