The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
quinterbeck

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by quinterbeck »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 pm What do you guys have for the following?

How do you pronounce these in you most informal, reduced speech? Specifically, I am looking to see if any of you have certain pronunciations found here, but I don't want to influence your answers.
In myreduced speech these vary a lot by context, but here's some of the more drastically reduced ones

I don't [ɐ͡əʉ̯̃ʔ]
you don't [jədəʉ̯̃ʔ]
he doesn't [idə̃ʔ]
I was [ɐ͡əz]
you were [jɵwə]
he was [iwəz]
can [kʰəN] where N: becomes [n] before a vowel; fuses with a glide to a nasal glide; becomes homorganic nasal with the next consonant; or sometimes is just a nasalised portion of ə.
would [ɵd̚ ~ d̚]
should [ʃɵd̚]
could [kʰɵd̚]
can't [kʰɑ̃ʔ]
wouldn't [wɵ̃ʔ ~ ɵ̃ʔ]
shouldn't [ʃɵ̃ʔ]
couldn't [kʰɵ̃ʔ]

I've put the last three in the first person
I've got to - [ɐvˈgɔʔtə] for me this is actually more emphatic than a more natural I have to [ɑjˈaftə], also compare I've got a [ɐvˈgɔʔə]
I'm going to [ɐmˈgənə]
I want to [ɐˈwɔnə]
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

vague estimates

I don't [ãõʔ]
you don't [jɨ(ɾ)ʌ̃w̃]
he doesn't [idʌ(d)n]
I was [awəz]
you were [jʊ̆wəɹ]
he was [iwəz]
can [kn̩] ~ [gn̩]
would [wʊ(d)]
should [ʃʊ(d)]
could [kʊ̆(d)] ~ [gʊ̆(d)]
can't [kʰẽə̃ʔ]
wouldn't [wʊ(d)n̩] ~ [wʊ̂nː-]
shouldn't [ʃʊ(d)n̩] ~ [ʃʊ̂nː-]
couldn't [kʰʊ(d)n̩] ~ [kʰʊ̂nː-]

first person:
I've got to [aɣâ] (no contrast with I've got a), and I think I have to implies more external obligation
I'm going to [amə] ~ probably also [nːə], [ŋ̩gə̃nː-], [ŋ̩gə̃ɾ̃ə-] etc.
I want to [awɑ̃̂(n)-]

third person masculine:
he's got to [izɣâ]
he's going to [izgənː-]
he wants to not very reduceable

Falling tone = maybe 'overlong'. [a] and [ɑ] are probably not particularly contrastive. There's a lot of phonetic variation in the nasals that I'm ignoring - place assimilation and so on.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
jal

Post by jal »

Nortaneous wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 pmhe wants to not very reduceable
[iˈwə̃stə]?

JAL
Znex

Post by Znex »

jal wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:31 am
[iˈwə̃stə]?
Yep, I'd use that pretty commonly
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

jal wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:31 am
[iˈwə̃stə]?

JAL
[iˈwɑ̃(n)(t)stə]
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

How do you pronounce "nephew"? I pronounce it with a /f/ in the middle. Traditionally "nephew" has a /v/ but the word now has /f/ for most people due to spelling pronunciation.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I'd never heard the [v] pronunciation, but that would make sense, given French neveu, and apparently Middle English nevew; I suppose the -ph- spelling must be a sort-of... fanciful spelling trying to put back the p in nepos?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else often pronounce stressed "have" often as /æv/, /hæ/, or just /æ/, depending on phonetic environment (e.g. I tend to pronounce it as /æv/ before vowels) and just plain free variation?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Pronouncing "I have" very quickly, it sounds something like [a(i) jæv], now that I pay closer attention to it.
jal

Post by jal »

Nans, but I think I'd also use /æv/ after vowels and glides.

JAL
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 pm What do you guys have for the following?
How do you pronounce these in you most informal, reduced speech? Specifically, I am looking to see if any of you have certain pronunciations found here, but I don't want to influence your answers.
I tried really paying attention to how I say these things, as opposed to how I perceive myself as saying these things:

I don't: [a(i) dõ(ː)ũ(n)(ʔ)], the -t is definitely glottalised, and the [n], if there, is barely independently articulated; very reduced: [ɐ dõũ(ʔ)], possibly with some weird tonal business on the don't.

you don't: [juw dõ(ː)ũ(n)(ʔ)], if I'm stressing the "you", however the "you" usually reduces under almost all circumstances to [jə], minimally, [jdõũ(ʔ)], with only the slightest pause, maybe with a devoiced schwa, between the [j] and [d], and with the don't maybe having some sort of tonal business going on.

he doesn't [çij dʌ(z).zə̃(n)ʔ], if I'm stressing the "he", which is otherwise closer to [hɪ], except with the [ɪ] possibly tensed as a much shorter than usual , and not a full [ij]; maximally reduced, [hɪ dʌzə̃(ʔ)] (every one of these has what I call that "maybe a weird tonal business"; I'm honestly not sure what it is, but it seems pretty prevalent

I was: Usually something like [ai wz], with a syllabic "z", I guess; there may be a slight, supershort [ʌ~ə] in there; very reduced, may be [ɐ wz].

you were: Usually [jʊ wɹ], with [ɹ] as the nucleus, or with a very slight [ʌ~ə]; might reduce even as far as [jwɹ], [j] and [w], and [r] as the nucleus.

he was: Usually [çij wz] — I definitely reduce "was" more than the pronoun on these; minimally probably something like [hɪ wz].

can: [kʰæ̃(n)], reduced [kʰə̃(n)]

would: usually [wʊd], but possibly as far as [wd], or even [wʔ] with the [d~ʔ] being some sort of nucleus, I suppose.

should: usually [ʃʊd], but possibly as far as [ʃd], or even [ʃʔ] with the [d~ʔ] being some sort of nucleus, I suppose.

could: [kʊd], but possibly as far as [kʰd~gd~kʰʔ~gʔ] or [ʔd], or something very reduced and glottally.

can't: Sometimes almost as a diphthong [kʰæ̃ə̃(n)(ʔ)], with some sort of tone shift between them (before [æ], /k/ may also be [cʰ], but this is sporadic, and the palatalisation is often rather weak when it occurs for me; in other speakers, it seems to me much stronger); the vowel is almost always fully realised with this one, even in reduced speech, probably to maintain distinctness with "can".

wouldn't: [wʊdə̃(ʔ)~wʊ(ʔ)ə̃(ʔ)]

shouldn't: [ʃʊdə̃(ʔ)~ʃʊ(ʔ)ə̃(ʔ)]

couldn't: [kʰʊdə̃(ʔ)~kʰʊ(ʔ)ə̃(ʔ)]

*have to: [hæv tʰə] ("to" is usually quite reduced for me in most expressions), often reduced to [(h)æf.tə] (I tend to say "have to", but throw the "got" in when the "have" contracts); I've got to [aiv gɒːʔ tʰə], more reduced [ai(v) gɒːʔ tʰə], even more reduced [ai gɒːdə]

be going to: fully pronounced, [gouwĩŋ tʰə], reduced [gɔ̃ɪ̃ŋ tʰə~gɔ̃ɪ̃ŋdə~gɔ̃ɪ̃(n)də], very reduced "gonna" [gənə~gnə] (with a syllabic [g, or a very, very slight break between [g] and [n] that might be a devoiced schwa)

want to: [wɒ̃ː(n)(ː)ʔ tʰə], reduced [wɒ̃ː(ʔ)nə], with the glottal stop often wholly elided.

(The "tonal business" in things like "can't" and "won't" might also be some sort of diphthongal breaking; I'm really not sure what I'm hearing myself do there, but the sound feels like it moves around rather oddly somehow.) Fighting my own perception of how some of these words are pronounced is... kind-of hard.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

How do you pronounce

"nephew"
"comfortable"
"quart"
"quarter"
"quartet"
"mathematics, mathematical"
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Space60 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am How do you pronounce[...?]
"nephew" : [nɛf.juw], or [nɛf.jʊ(w)] in very fast speech
"comfortable" : [kʌmftəɹbəɫ]
"quart" : [kwɔ(ː)ɹʔ]
"quarter": [kwɔ(ː)ɹdəɹ]
"quartet": [kwɔ(ː)ɹ'tʰɛʔ]
"mathematics, mathematical" : [mæθ(ə)mædɪk̚], [mæθ(ə)mædɪkəɫ]
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Heuchera (a.k.a. "coralbells") are becoming a very common garden plant around here. The number of varieties available has exploded and I'm seeing them everywhere. Nobody can seem to agree how to pronounce the name of the genus, though. At the cookout I attended last Saturday, I heard two new versions, neither of which I could find in any dictionary. Mine own pronunciation is closest to that given in the OED but not an exact match.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Do you pronounce "catch" to rhyme with "fetch"? I do. Apparently this pronunciation of "catch" has a long history behind it. The word "ketch" for a type of boat originated around 1650 is an alteration of "catch" according to Merriam-Webster.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Space60 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:41 pm Do you pronounce "catch" to rhyme with "fetch"?
Hmm - I think I'd say "almost, but not completely".
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Space60 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:41 pm Do you pronounce "catch" to rhyme with "fetch"? I do. Apparently this pronunciation of "catch" has a long history behind it. The word "ketch" for a type of boat originated around 1650 is an alteration of "catch" according to Merriam-Webster.
Entirely; catch would be ketch if I spelled it in eye-dialect.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I often confuse /æ ɛ/ when I hear other people speak, since they are so close together in my lect, and other people's /ɛ/ is commonly the same as my /æ/. For instance, I pronounce "Star Trek" as "Star Tr/æ/k", since I've frequently heard other people pronounce it with [ɛ], which just happens to be my /æ/.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Is that an Australian or New Zealand variety?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:40 pm Is that an Australian or New Zealand variety?
Lol no - I'm from southeastern Wisconsin.