Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: Random Thread

Post by Ares Land »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am people are just joining a fad. it'll pass.
Obligatory joke: still, the FES has members all around the globe!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:50 am
Pabappa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am people are just joining a fad. it'll pass.
Some people seem to like rather bizarre systems of belief. We have quite a few that are rather larger.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:51 pm
Some people seem to like rather bizarre systems of belief. We have quite a few that are rather larger.
Yeah - that's part of why the recent increase in Flat-Eartherism doesn't really surprise me. Sort of like a "logical conclusion" of various quite popular general attitudes.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:54 pm
Yeah - that's part of why the recent increase in Flat-Eartherism doesn't really surprise me. Sort of like a "logical conclusion" of various quite popular general attitudes.
Perhaps an illogical conclusion?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:54 pm
Perhaps an illogical conclusion?
Yes, that fits better.
kodé

Post by kodé »

Hey, there’s 3053 posts and 153 pages on this thread! And 53 is my lucky number!!!

Edit: DAMMIT
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

kidney bean salad recipe:

28 oz kidney beans
8 oz cottage cheese
a handful of red onions, chopped or torn up by hand
garlic, to taste
4 oz thousand island dressing
2 oz prepared horseradish
tabasco sauce, to taste

I loved this so much I had four tubfuls of it in a bit over a week. It's supposed to be a dip .... i.e. you take crackers and scoop a bit of dip on top with each bite .... but when i made it it came out so thick that i decided to just eat it by itself and consider it a salad.

using red onions is very important .... on the fourth batch i ran out and had to mix them with "generic" minced onions .... it changed the taste just by itself.

there are a hundred other recipes out there, ... really literally the only common ingredient in kidney bean dip/salad recipes is the kidney beans. so this is one that i really loved, and i want to share it, but i have no name to set it apart from all the others.

for a salad, this is a very hearty meal, high in protein and all the rest .... and also high in fat. a quick search suggested i was getting ~100g of fat from each meal, which is a lot ... but i exercise a lot too so it all burns off.

on the off chance someone tries this out, let me know if you like it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I have the impression that when I use the ZBB search function to search for a member's username in the keywords field (that is, not the "search by username" field), it's basically hit-and-miss whether a post in which someone quoted that user, but didn't otherwise mention that user, shows up or not.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:20 pm I have the impression that when I use the ZBB search function to search for a member's username in the keywords field (that is, not the "search by username" field), it's basically hit-and-miss whether a post in which someone quoted that user, but didn't otherwise mention that user, shows up or not.
Probably. The phpBB search function is exceedingly quirky.

You might try Google searching something like

site:verduria.org Raphael wrote

Google will get more accurate if you add more stuff (e.g., some word in the post you're looking for). This is not true of phpBB's search. Often simpler searches work better for that.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I generally only use phpBB search if I can't find something via Google.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ah, thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Am I the only person in the world who loves to read, but hardly ever re-reads anything? And when I do re-read stuff, it's usually essays, blog posts, or other non-fiction - I'm not sure when was the last time I re-read a work of fiction. But when I read what other people who love reading have to say about the books they love, they often bring up how much they've re-read those books.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:44 pm Am I the only person in the world who loves to read, but hardly ever re-reads anything? And when I do re-read stuff, it's usually essays, blog posts, or other non-fiction - I'm not sure when was the last time I re-read a work of fiction. But when I read what other people who love reading have to say about the books they love, they often bring up how much they've re-read those books.
Not at all. I and many people I've talked to don't tend to reread most things at all.

Personally, I've reread maybe three fiction books, one of which I started when I was very young, got bored with it, then decided to try again after reading something else by the same author at a much later time. When I reread non-fiction, I'm usually have an idea what I'm looking for and where it is, and specifically to find a certain thing.
A cat and a linguist.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I generally reread fiction only when really bored but still very awake.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:44 pmBut when I read what other people who love reading have to say about the books they love, they often bring up how much they've re-read those books.
Ironically, as a chronic rereader, I often feel like I'm the weird one for rereading so much! I feel like most people I know don't reread fiction, or do so very rarely. (whereas I have several favorite series that I reread so often that I sometimes have read them multiple times the same year)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I also reread fiction with some frequency. I feel like I find new things each time. I do have a friend who is the entire opposite, however — she says she doesn't see the point, as she already knows what happened.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I somehow copied zompist when trying to log in instead of my own username just now
kårroť
kodé

Post by kodé »

mèþru wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:46 pm I somehow copied zompist when trying to log in instead of my own username just now
That’s … random.
Curlyjimsam

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:44 pm Am I the only person in the world who loves to read, but hardly ever re-reads anything? And when I do re-read stuff, it's usually essays, blog posts, or other non-fiction - I'm not sure when was the last time I re-read a work of fiction. But when I read what other people who love reading have to say about the books they love, they often bring up how much they've re-read those books.
I like rereading, but there's such a vast quantity of stuff I haven't read yet and want to, and that generally takes priority.

I have felt with film and TV, that I rarely have any interest in rewatching anything, yet many people will happily rewatch the same thing time and time again. I might occasionally rewatch something I really like if it's been ten years or something since I watched it last.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If my calculations are correct, then as of today, or maybe yesterday, Benedict XVI has spent more time as a former Pope than he had previously spent as Pope.

Edit: Thank you for the feedback on reading, everyone!