What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Topics that can go away
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

A collection of linguistics and language themed youtube channels. In English, I've been watching Simon Roper and Jackson Crawford. Roper isn't a linguist, but his videos are all quite good and clearly well-researched. I know less about the subject matter of Crawford's channel (Old Norse), but they seem reasonably reliable. Both channels have a calm, relaxed vibe that I really enjoy. In Japanese, I've been watching minerva scientia and Omizan Sakamoto's channel. They have a very different presentation style, with mostly short videos consisting of only text slides and a voiceover. Minerva scientia is mostly readings (of varying quality) of texts in a large number of ancient languages, as well translations (whose quality I mostly can't judge). They're also evidently a conlanger. Omizan Sakamoto has mostly videos on the history of the Japanese language, which are quite good (if short).
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
alice

Post by alice »

Currently reading Prokosch's Comparitive Germanic Grammar.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just finished reading The 2020 Commission Report by Jeffrey Lewis, a fictional account of a fictional war between the USA and North Korea which includes the use of nuclear weapons. A very grim and chilling read. It starts out as something that Tom Clancy might have written if he would have been politically more to the Left, and then turns a lot darker.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:43 pm Simon Roper
I really enjoy his videos. They are so deliciously laid back, yet very well researched and interestingly constructed.

I accidentally watched the first opisode of The Queen's Gambit on Netflix and ended up binging it. I liked it way more than I expected to.

Also watching Humans again, having watched quite a bit of it a couple of years ago but not finished it. It's just got past the point that I had last seen up to. I am quite impressed and definitely gripped; for a British TV show it has a lot of polish and more than a couple of outstanding performances. They keep cutting the soundtrack off mid-flow every time they change scene though, rather than having any kind of considered transition, which is really jarring.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Currently reading The Brink - President Reagan and the Nuclear War Scare of 1983 by Marc Ambinder, about how close the world came to nuclear war in the 1980s. Generally fascinating reading, but there's one slightly weird short passage:
By 1983, four Keyhole (KH-11) satellites in high orbit provided continuous near-real-time coverage of Europe and the Soviet Union. Their advanced coupling device absorbed reflected photons from the illumination of the sun to provide crisp, detailed, daytime coverage of virtually any target.
That sounds like a kinda odd way of saying that these satellites were looking at their surveillance targets. I'm reminded of Zompist's old piece If All Stories Were Written Like Science Fiction Stories, or of the old xkcd cartoon MacGyver Gets Lazy:

https://xkcd.com/444/
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

Upon recommendation from several of my apartmentmates, I've recently started reading The Wandering Inn, a web novel about a woman from earth who gets transported to a fantasy world in which people have classes, levels, and skills à la D&D. It is currently on-going, with updates twice a week (and it's already pretty long, with a word count in the millions, so I've got quite a ways to go before I'm caught up)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 am Today I finished Matt Parker's Humble PI, a mostly delightful book about mathematical errors that had serious real-life consequences. (The parts that are not delightful are the ones about mathematical errors that actually killed people.)
Re-read it. Still good. One quote caught my eye this time:
Our modern financial systems are now run on computers, which allows humans to make financial mistakes more efficiently and quickly than ever before.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

The presents my girlfriend gave me for the 20th (Salvery abolition day):
Listening: Danyèl Waro's Tinn tout, Gwendoline Absalom's Vangasay, Alain Péters' Parabolèr
Reading: Jared Diamond's Bouleversement (original title Upheaval)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Lust, Glory, Light, Dogma etc. by KMFDM

(I really should listen to Dogma more often.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I've now read William Poundstone's Priceless, more than seven years after zompist reviewed it on his blog. Interesting!
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I've just read yesterday The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde. Like everything else I've read by him, it is very witty and funny. But it is also really sad, and I got nightmares from it. Would recommend with caution depending on one's mental state.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Just finished William Poundstone's Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren’t Fair (and What We Can Do About It), this time more than twelve years after zompist recommended it. Nice work, and converted me to range voting for single-office elections. One minor criticism is that when he talks about proportional voting, he basically only explains multi-member-district STV; he doesn't even mention any form of list-voting, which is globally probably a lot more prevalent than STV.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I'm trying to learn Wolof.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

rotting bones wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm I'm trying to learn Wolof.
Do you have any good resources to recommend? I'm not happy with the grammars I found.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:36 pm Do you have any good resources to recommend? I'm not happy with the grammars I found.
I think I'm working with the same materials that everyone else found on the internet: https://gofile.io/d/AJ4OWb

PS. Although I'm trying to watch recordings on YouTube and look up vocabulary in the dictionaries.
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:36 pm
rotting bones wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm I'm trying to learn Wolof.
Do you have any good resources to recommend? I'm not happy with the grammars I found.
I bookmarked this a while ago: Resources for learning Wolof. Courses, dictionaries, grammars, and linguistic papers both in English and French. Free, with links to non-free resources.
Yaa unák thual na !
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Vilike wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:37 pm I bookmarked this a while ago: Resources for learning Wolof. Courses, dictionaries, grammars, and linguistic papers both in English and French. Free, with links to non-free resources.
Thanks. Kaspersky isn't letting me enter that site. I will go there through Linux.

PS. Unrelatedly, YouTube recommended this video to me just now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuwgZSjuznY
Lichen

Post by Lichen »

I just finished Tell Them Of Battles, Kings, and Elephants by M. Enard; and onto Bushido by Inazo Nitobe presently!

(and listening to the sultry timbre of this Hungarian audiobook narrator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjzsYz ... l=Irodalom )