The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
mèþru

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by mèþru »

The city and bird are both ['fiː.nɪks]
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Okay, thank you, it looks like "Phone-ician" is a lot more common than I expected and that it certainly isnt just me.
Salmoneus wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:11 am It wouldn't have occured to me to pronounce either 'Phoenix' or 'Phoenician' with /o/, as the spelling so clearly indicates /i/. Do Americans really say /fonIks/ (for the bird or the city (or the person)), or do you just have the /o/ in the adjective form?

Personally, I have /fi:'ni:Sn/, phonemically, but the first vowel is usually more like [@] due to standard unstressed vowel reduction.
yeah, Phoenix by itself is always with /i/. But .... Im not sure many people even make the connection between Phoenix and Phoenicia, just as I didnt either until a few years ago. Phoenix is very commonly misspelled as *Pheonix, for example, even once in the name of a company, "Pheonix Financial". And I suspect a lot of people couldnt spell Phoenician either, and that it's mostly used in print by academics who have no difficulty with its spelling but may have different ideas for its pronunciaiton.

As for my other original question .... still waiting for someone from the Phoenix AZ area to fill me in. I guess its possible that the term "Phoenician" is simply not used that often for people in Phoenix AZ. I'd think that the pronunciation with a schwa or /i/-like vowel in the first syllable would predominate there since it's more similar to the city name .... but I'd be curious to find out if there's any significant number of people who have /o/ for the historical Phoenicians but /ə~ɪ~i/ for the modern ones.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Salmoneus wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:11 am It wouldn't have occured to me to pronounce either 'Phoenix' or 'Phoenician' with /o/, as the spelling so clearly indicates /i/. Do Americans really say /fonIks/ (for the bird or the city (or the person)), or do you just have the /o/ in the adjective form?

Personally, I have /fi:'ni:Sn/, phonemically, but the first vowel is usually more like [@] due to standard unstressed vowel reduction.
It depends on how well you've internalised the "oe is /i:/ in classical vocabulary" rule.

I'm pretty sure that when I first encountered the word in print (when I guess I'd have been about 10) I mentally pronounced it /foʊɪˈnɪʃən/, with an extra syllable for the e along the lines of words like poem. Now, I would probably say /fɪˈnɪʃən/.

I wasn't previously aware of it being used as a demonym for the Arizona city, so can't really comment on the pronunciation of that. The city of course is /ˈfi:nɪks/.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

mèþru wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:46 amI've never heard of that usage either. If I was talking about people from Phoenix, I would say "people from Phoenix"
"Phoenixers" is what occurs to me. (Other cities I would use -er with include New York, Newark, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Cleveland. Overall -an is common enough I'd call it the default, but it sounds awkward sometimes.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am
mèþru wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:46 amI've never heard of that usage either. If I was talking about people from Phoenix, I would say "people from Phoenix"
"Phoenixers" is what occurs to me. (Other cities I would use -er with include New York, Newark, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Cleveland. Overall -an is common enough I'd call it the default, but it sounds awkward sometimes.)
Here in Wisconsin, the term for someone from Wisconsin is Wisconsinite and the term for someone from Milwaukee is Milwaukeean. (I do not know what the term, if any, is for someone from Madison.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:00 am
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am
Here in Wisconsin, the term for someone from Wisconsin is Wisconsinite and the term for someone from Milwaukee is Milwaukeean. (I do not know what the term, if any, is for someone from Madison.)
I would say "Madisonite" by analogy with "Akronite". (I don't know why I say "Akronite".)

I feel like we need a separate thread on American denomyms.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

how do you pronounce internet?
when the hell did that happen
JT the Ninja

Post by JT the Ninja »

bbbosborne wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 am how do you pronounce internet?
[haɪv ʌv skʌm n ˈvɪl.ən.ˌi]
Peace,
JT
jal

Post by jal »

JT the Ninja wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:17 am
[haɪv ʌv skʌm n ˈvɪl.ən.ˌi]
:)

JAL
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

internet [ˈɪnɹ̩ˌnɛʔ~ˈɪnʔɹ̩ˌnɛʔ] in casual speech, [ˈɪntɹ̩ˌnɛʔ] in careful speech
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

ɪntɚnɛt
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
JT the Ninja

Post by JT the Ninja »

I guess I usually say ˈɪn.əɹ.ˌnɛt, or even ˈɪn.ɹ̩.ˌnɛt...almost like "inner net."
Peace,
JT
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

[ˈɘ̃ʁ̩̃ˌnɜʔ], or when speaking somewhat carefullly, [ˈɘ̃ɾ̃ʁ̩̃ˌnɜʔ]
jal

Post by jal »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:10 pm[ˈɘ̃ʁ̩̃ˌnɜʔ]
You never disappoint :).

Dutch: [ˈɪntənɛt] in casual speech, [ˈɪntərˌnɛt] in careful speech.

JAL
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

[ˈɪ̃ɾ̃ɹ̩ˌnɛʔ]
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

[ˈɪ̃ɾ̻̃ɚ̃ːˌnɛːʔ]
when the hell did that happen
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

In Indonesian, I pronounce it [ɪn.tər.nɛt̚], but in English, I pronounce it [ɪn̠.t̠ɹ̠.nɛt̚].
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

/intɚnet/ [ɪ̃ɾ̃ɚn̺ɛʔt̚]
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
dhok

Post by dhok »

['ɪ̃nɨˌnɛʔ] internet

(careful speech: ['ɪ̃ntəˌnɛt̚ʔ])
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

dhok wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:19 am ['ɪ̃nɨˌnɛʔ] internet

(careful speech: ['ɪ̃ntəˌnɛt̚ʔ])
I didn't know you were non-rhotic - and this isn't one of those cases where one rhotic is dropped because there's another rhotic in the same word.