fassec co kies

Almea and the Incatena
So Haleza Grise

fassec co kies

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Something I'm not sure how to express in Verdurian: How would you say "I do what I want?" Is it fassao dy vulu kies?
zompist
Site Admin

Re: fassec co kies

Post by zompist »

If you want to be aphoristic, I'd say one of

Kiom vulu, fassao.
what-acc want-1s do.that-1s

Vulu fassec, (duya) fassao.

want-1s do.that (therefore) do.that-1s

Fassao kiom vulu would also be fine.

Kies is used interrogatively, or with the meaning "do stuff, keep busy". So vulu kies is either "I want to do what?" or "I want to do stuff."
So Haleza Grise

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Right, so could you say something like: vulretu zaftra kies to mean "tomorrow, I will want to do things" (not sure about the adverb placement there)? That would be in a sense of 'I want to keep busy' I suppose, but if you wanted to do something specific, you could say vulretu zaftra fassec 'I will want to do it' where it's understood what 'it' is. What if you were to say 'tomorrow I will want to do things, and I will in fact do them' - would vulretu zaftra kies, er fasstao (ya) work in that instance?

The kiom clauses made me think of something else I was wondering the other day - does Dhekhnami do headless relative clauses? Could you say something like "I enjoy what I do" in Dhekhnami?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:57 pm Right, so could you say something like: vulretu zaftra kies to mean "tomorrow, I will want to do things" (not sure about the adverb placement there)? That would be in a sense of 'I want to keep busy' I suppose, but if you wanted to do something specific, you could say vulretu zaftra fassec 'I will want to do it' where it's understood what 'it' is. What if you were to say 'tomorrow I will want to do things, and I will in fact do them' - would vulretu zaftra kies, er fasstao (ya) work in that instance?
Yes, all these sound right to me.
The kiom clauses made me think of something else I was wondering the other day - does Dhekhnami do headless relative clauses? Could you say something like "I enjoy what I do" in Dhekhnami?
Yes, I think you can use either relative-clause method with these. But one-word clauses will work better with the participle method.