Phonemically weird words

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: Phonemically weird words

Post by Travis B. »

For me squirrel rhymes with pearl and girl and all of these are monosyllables.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

*is properly weirded out*
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 amFor me squirrel rhymes with pearl and girl and all of these are monosyllables.
Same. I remember being surprised to hear Brits pronouncing squirrel in two syllables with stressed /ɪ/.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 amFor me squirrel rhymes with pearl and girl and all of these are monosyllables.
Same. I remember being surprised to hear Brits pronouncing squirrel in two syllables with stressed /ɪ/.
I don't think the movie Up was made by Brits.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

What's Up got to do with it? I'm a Brit and I say /ˈskwɪ.rl̩/
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm
Disyllabic pronunciations of words ending in /rl/ for me are are not weird to me, but pronouncing squirrel with /ɪ/ is - I did not even know that anyone pronounced it that way until today.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm What's Up got to do with it?
It has dogs say "squirrel" a couple of times, and it sounds like it has two syllables to me there.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:20 pm
KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm What's Up got to do with it?
It has dogs say "squirrel" a couple of times, and it sounds like it has two syllables to me there.
Linguoboy and I are both Americans and both pronounce it monosyllabically, yet that does not mean that there are not Americans who pronounce it disyllabically. Conversely, though, I don't think I've ever heard an American pronounce squirrel with an /ɪ/.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

What's the motivation for ɚ in AmE squirrel (whether one syllable or two)? In BrE, squirrel patterns with other words containing ambisyllabic r between ɪ and ə, e.g. mirror, syrup, chirrup, stirrup.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I think theyre all like that .... the words you listed all have stressed /ɚ/ for me except mirror, and that may be just because itd otherwise be /mɚ.ɚ/. Ive heard /ɪ / in syrup and probably even said it myself, but the most common pronunciation in America is, I think, /ɚ/. (Hence "Sir Rupp" etc.) So basically all stressed //ɪr// in American English in a word with that CVCVC shape is /ɚ/ unless the consonant is a syllabic /r/. It doesnt seem to apply to trisyllabic words like "virulent" however. And there may be some other exceptions besides mirror but I cant think of any right now.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

quinterbeck wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pmWhat's the motivation for ɚ in AmE squirrel (whether one syllable or two)? In BrE, squirrel patterns with other words containing ambisyllabic r between ɪ and ə, e.g. mirror, syrup, chirrup, stirrup.
You mean "meer", "surp", "churp", and "sturp"?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 pm
quinterbeck wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pmWhat's the motivation for ɚ in AmE squirrel (whether one syllable or two)? In BrE, squirrel patterns with other words containing ambisyllabic r between ɪ and ə, e.g. mirror, syrup, chirrup, stirrup.
You mean "meer", "surp", "churp", and "sturp"?
Not all dialects reduce quite that much, like I've got "surrup", "churrup", "sturrup" - but I do have "meer".
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I was half-joking. Although there are dialects with "surp" (Texas native Roger Miller once memorably rhymed "Roses are red and violets are purple / Sugar is sweet and so's maple surple"), I natively have /ˈsirəp/. Essentially, /ɪr/ doesn't exist in my speech. It was one of the challenges of learning German: I used to say Birne with /i/ and would still if not for an acting teacher I had who disabused me of that.
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

I'm a bit confused to discover the vowel of NEAR is conventionally transcribed /ɪr/—it sounds like /ir/ to me, while the sequence /ɪr/ just doesn't occur in my version of AmE, regardless of syllabification. Maybe I'm being influenced by writing, but I looked up a sound clip of the British pronunciation of squirrel and it had a very distinct /ɪ.r/ that definitely doesn't occur anywhere in my speech.

I would transcribe:
mirror: /ˈmir.ɚ/ or /mir/
syrup: /ˈsir.əp/ or /ˈsɚ.əp/
chirrup: don't know this word but my guess is /ˈtʃɚ.əp/
stirrup: /ˈstɚ.əp/
ἀπόλεμος ὅδε γ' ὁ πόλεμος, ἄπορα πόριμος
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

To me the high front vowel (I do not have the serious-Sirius distinction) before /r/ is something I would identify with FLEECE rather than with KIT because my KIT vowel is central and close-mid, whereas my FLEECE before /r/ is either front and near-close or, often when the /r/ falls in a coda position, front and close with the /r/ being syllabified.
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

serious and Sirius are homophones for me too, but maybe I jsut repeat what other people are saying. The word virulent has a true lax /ɪ/ for me, not /i/ like in FLEECE. mirror also does, so i have a hypothetical minimal pair with merer, and mirror does not rhyme with smearer.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 pmIt was one of the challenges of learning German: I used to say Birne with /i/ and would still if not for an acting teacher I had who disabused me of that.
Forgive my relative-IPA-newbie-question, but what is the IPA for the sound in German Birne?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am Forgive my relative-IPA-newbie-question, but what is the IPA for the sound in German Birne?
[ɪ]

Though I guess Birne is pronounced [bɪɐnə] (never heard anything but [ɐ] for German r in that position).

Ah the challenges of learning German... I had to wait until I started regularly travelling to Germany to figure out that German has long and short vowels, and that no one will understand what you say if you mix those up. I took 8 years of German classes, you'd thing one of my teachers would have mentioned that at some point.

I also figured out the ʁ ~ ɐ allophony the hard way (Just as annoying, at least for a French native speaker: people won't notice you're getting it wrong, but you won't understand a thing...)

(On a positive note, it was conlanging that helped me figure out what was going on.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I used to merge StG /iː/ and /ɪ/ because both vowels are much closer to my FLEECE vowel than my KIT vowel, to the point that I natively really have only one high front vowel, so I both had problems hearing the two as apart and realizing the two distinctly.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ars Lande wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am
Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am Forgive my relative-IPA-newbie-question, but what is the IPA for the sound in German Birne?
[ɪ]

Thank you!

Ah the challenges of learning German... I had to wait until I started regularly travelling to Germany to figure out that German has long and short vowels, and that no one will understand what you say if you mix those up. I took 8 years of German classes, you'd thing one of my teachers would have mentioned that at some point.
Ugh. I can understand it if the form of a language taught to speakers of other languages is more formal than the spoken version, but written, formal German has long and short vowels, too!