What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
sasasha

Re: What do you call ...

Post by sasasha »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:36 pm
sasasha wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 pmA thermos to me has to be a flask (long cylindrical thing with a complex lid, to avoid any confusion). But I would sooner call it a flask.
A thermos to me is a type of vacuum flask. The reusable cup I showed only has one layer of metal. That's why the rubber grip is needed.
Yes, me too, it's quinterbeck who would call this a thermos. :)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

If it is a typical disposable coffee cup, with or without a sleeve around it to protect one's hand while it's hot, it is a coffee cup, unless qualification is needed, where then it is a disposable coffee up.

If it is a typical reusable coffee cup, if it is designed for taking coffee places (e.g. with a closable lid) I would call it a travel mug (note that this usage of mug is not consistent with my other usage of the term), else I would call it a coffee cup unless it is large, generally (but not necessarily) ceramic, has a good-sized handle on it, and without a lid, where then it may also be called a mug. I would only call these reusable coffee cups when I need to specifically contrast them with disposable coffee cups.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
dewrad

Post by dewrad »

I've heard them called "keep cups", but refuse to participate in such offensive tweedom.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What do you call a "deep" plate, suitable for eating soup from?
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

A bowl?

EDIT: You could also say "soup bowl," but I personally use them far more often for either curries or vegetables that I want to keep separate from everything else I'm eating.
EDIT2: Well, not necessarily "vegetables" because the one that comes to mind is actually stir-fried plantains, which is a fruit, not a vegetable. But we eat it as if it were a vegetable. :P
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yes, I've got the impression that in English, every piece of tableware that has the right shape so that you can eat soup from it is called a "bowl". But in German, if something like that has an outer edge that looks like the outer edge of a plate, it's still seen as a type of "Teller" ("plate") - you would specify it by talking about a "tiefer Teller" ("deep plate") or a "Suppenteller" ("soup plate"). I wanted to be clear about English usage.

Here's what I'm thinking of:
tieferteller.jpg
tieferteller.jpg (240.52 KiB) Viewed 27057 times
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 amYes, I've got the impression that in English, every piece of tableware that has the right shape so that you can eat soup from it is called a "bowl".
Sounds right to me.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 amYes, I've got the impression that in English, every piece of tableware that has the right shape so that you can eat soup from it is called a "bowl". But in German, if something like that has an outer edge that looks like the outer edge of a plate, it's still seen as a type of "Teller" ("plate") - you would specify it by talking about a "tiefer Teller" ("deep plate") or a "Suppenteller" ("soup plate"). I wanted to be clear about English usage.
The word "soup plate" exists in English as well: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soup%20plate. Confusingly, however, I consider a "soup plate" a kind of shallow bowl rather than a kind of "deep plate" (scare quotes because I don't think it's a term I'd ever use; the defining feature of plates is that they're flat so it doesn't make sense to describe one as "deep").

I also have a set of "pasta bowls" which are deeper than my soup plates and wider than my soup bowls. As the name suggests, this is what I typically eat pasta from.

ETA: I just showed my flatmate (from Dallas) one of my soup plates and asked him what it was. "A salad bowl," he said. "Why do you call it that?" "Because it's not deep enough to be a soup bowl."
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I usually just eat pasta in a plate. *shrug*
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

to me a pasta bowl can either be a bowl for eating out of, or a larger one from which the whole family takes their shares. my parents had a nice set of bowls just like that, and i took some of them with me to my apartment. i take spaghetti and break it into small pieces with my hands and then eat it with a spoon, and since i dont usually put much sauce on, i prefer to eat it from a plate rather than a bowl.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:43 pm I usually just eat pasta in a plate. *shrug*
Thank you for sharing.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 am Yes, I've got the impression that in English, every piece of tableware that has the right shape so that you can eat soup from it is called a "bowl". But in German, if something like that has an outer edge that looks like the outer edge of a plate, it's still seen as a type of "Teller" ("plate") - you would specify it by talking about a "tiefer Teller" ("deep plate") or a "Suppenteller" ("soup plate"). I wanted to be clear about English usage.

tieferteller.jpg
There are definitely three regular kinds of plates for me in German: "kleine Teller" aka "Frühstücksteller" aka "Kuchenteller" are small and flat. "Große Teller" aka "flache Teller" are large and flat. "Tiefe Teller" aka "Suppenteller' are large-ish and not flat. "Nudelteller" aka "Pastateller" exist, but are an irregular kind of plate, at least for me.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Pabappa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:58 pmto me a pasta bowl can either be a bowl for eating out of, or a larger one from which the whole family takes their shares. my parents had a nice set of bowls just like that, and i took some of them with me to my apartment. i take spaghetti and break it into small pieces with my hands and then eat it with a spoon, and since i dont usually put much sauce on, i prefer to eat it from a plate rather than a bowl.
Interesting. I've never heard of either of these things.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 am Yes, I've got the impression that in English, every piece of tableware that has the right shape so that you can eat soup from it is called a "bowl". But in German, if something like that has an outer edge that looks like the outer edge of a plate, it's still seen as a type of "Teller" ("plate") - you would specify it by talking about a "tiefer Teller" ("deep plate") or a "Suppenteller" ("soup plate"). I wanted to be clear about English usage.

tieferteller.jpg
Oh, same thing in French. That's an assiette creuse or an assiette à soupe to me, definitely not un bol.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, everyone!
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Ares Land wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:26 pm

tieferteller.jpg
Oh, same thing in French. That's an assiette creuse or an assiette à soupe to me, definitely not un bol.
Isn't un bol also something you would drink tea, coffee, or milk out of? Bowl in English for any of these seems odd to me. I think I'd say cup.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

The protypical bol, so to speak, is I think something like a cereal bowl.

I don't know the difference's entirely linguistic. We do drink coffee out of cereal bowl (and dip bread or croissants in it), but for the morning caffeine overdose don't people in America prefer huge, tall cups, Starbucks-style?

(Though like many people I prefer huge cups or mugs these days. And it's still un bol, to me, even if it has a handle.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sometimes, in Germany, you come across very wide cups used for coffee, cappuccino, and the like, which look almost like a small cereal bowl with a handle. But one of those is still called a "Tasse" ("cup"), not a "Schüssel" ("bowl").
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 am What do you call a "deep" plate, suitable for eating soup from?
a salad bowl (circular, shallow bowl usu. with rim), maybe a trencher (long, shallow bowl usu. without rim)
Raphael wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 pm Sometimes, in Germany, you come across very wide cups used for coffee, cappuccino, and the like, which look almost like a small cereal bowl with a handle. But one of those is still called a "Tasse" ("cup"), not a "Schüssel" ("bowl").
I had one of those growing up - we called it the soup mug
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Ares Land wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:48 pmWe do drink coffee out of cereal bowl (and dip bread or croissants in it)
My mom sometimes dips bread (or used to dip bread) in her tiny glass of black coffee!
but for the morning caffeine overdose don't people in America prefer huge, tall cups, Starbucks-style?
I think that's what most people use, yes. (I'm less sure this is genuinely what they want. I don't drink coffee or at least drink it very, very rarely, so I can't really speak for them).

When I think of a bowl, the first thing I think of looks something like this:
I used to eat cereal in it with milk when I was younger. I have also used it for boneless chicken curry, steamed long-grain rice (never parboiled rice! That always goes in a plate!), my dad's stir-braised attempts at Chinese or Korean(-inspired) dishes that I think are generally supposed to be stir-fried, Indian vegetable dishes (especially my parents' version of our traditional dish of stir-fried plantains), and (sometimes) this probably about as long as I've eaten any of those things.

However, I normally eat meat curries or fish curries in something more like this:
Which I also call a bowl. *shrug*

EDIT: And for tea (or coffee), I generally use a small mug. But what I usually drink in it is a completely pathetic excuse for tea lmao
Raphael wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 pm Sometimes, in Germany, you come across very wide cups used for coffee, cappuccino, and the like, which look almost like a small cereal bowl with a handle. But one of those is still called a "Tasse" ("cup"), not a "Schüssel" ("bowl").
I think you get those here as well.