Script for demon-summoning lang

Conworlds and conlangs
Emily

Script for demon-summoning lang

Post by Emily »

several years ago i wrote a short story where some characters summon "the spirits of the deep" aka demons from hell, and i threw together a little conlang to represent the language of hell, which i called the "language of the book". recently i've started reworking it, which has included finally coming up with a native script for it

the script is directly based on the sigils associated with the 72 demons found in the ars goetia. different elements were taken from different sigils, and there's no correspondence between the pronunciation of a glyph in my lang and the name of the associated demon for a given glyph in the ars goetia

the phonology consists of the following phonemes (listed here alongside their romanizations):
  • stops: /p b t d k g/ <p b t d k g>
  • affricates: /ts dz tʃ dʒ/ <ts dz ch jh>
  • fricatives: /ɸ β θ ð s z ʃ ʒ x ɣ/ <f v th dh s z sh zh kh gh>
  • nasals: /m n ŋ/ <m n nh>
  • liquids: /l r j w/ <l r j w>
  • monophthongs: /a ɛ e ɪ i ɔ o ʊ u/ <a e ê i î o ô u û>
  • diphthongs: /ai ɛi ɔi ʊi au ɛu ɪu ɔu/ <ai ei oi ui au eu iu ou>
the minimum syllable structure is V; the maximum is CCCVC. the nucleus can be any vowel or diphthong. the coda can be null, or any consonant other than /j/ or /w/. the onset can be: null; any consonant; any non-liquid followed by any liquid; /s/ followed by any unvoiced stop; /s/ followed by any nasal; /s/ followed by any unvoiced stop followed by any liquid

i'm not sure if there's a specific term for this but the script is essentially a combination between an alphabet and a syllabary. each glyph depicts a complete syllable, but its components indicate the different individual sounds. every glyph has at minimum a "base glyph" representing the nucleus; each monophthong and diphthong has its own glyph. onsets are represented by "onset glyphs" which attach to the top of the base glyph, while codas are represented by "coda glyphs" which attach to the bottom of the base glyph
ex-a.png
ex-a.png (58.96 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
the first row in the above example is a set of base glyphs. the second is a set of onset glyphs, the third is a matching set of coda glyphs, and the fourth is some composed syllables (although of course the first row, with no onsets or codas, also consists of legal syllables)

however, remember that a number of consonant clusters are legal in the onset. any use of /j/ or /w/, whether in a cluster or by itself (remember that these sounds can only appear in onsets, not in codas), is indicated not by a separate glyph but by changing certain elements in the base glyph itself; an element (most commonly a circle or crescent) will change to a cross to indicate /j/ or a triangle to indicate /w/
ex-b.png
ex-b.png (46.08 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
all other clusters involve /l/, /r/, and/or /s/. to indicate a consonant followed by /l/, the glyph for that consonant is doubled; to indicate a following /r/, the consonant is tripled. an /s/ followed by a consonant is indicated with the /s/ glyph placed on top of the glyph for the following consonant (unless that consonant glyph is doubled to indicate a following /l/, in which case the /s/ glyph goes between the two consonant glyphs). the following examples should make this clearer:
ex-c.png
ex-c.png (141.22 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
sorry this is such a long image, but i wanted to show that the doubled/tripled glyphs can be arranged radially (as in the /a/ examples) or in parallel (as in the /e/ examples) depending on the design of the base glyph. also, you can see that there are onset glyphs for /l/ and /r/, but they are only used if /l/ or /r/ appears by itself without any other consonant
Last edited by Emily on Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emily

Re: Script for demon-summoning lang

Post by Emily »

the general rule for syllabification is that a single medial consonant should go with the following syllable rather than the preceding (pa-lem not pal-em), and clusters should be broken up (gis-trem not gi-strem). the exception is that roots/affixes/morphemes should be self-contained where possible: the root of grîvala "devil" is grîval-, with -a being its nom sg suffix, so it is written grî-val-a rather than grî-va-la which would otherwise be expected. below are some inflections of this word (the columns are nom, acc, dat; the rows are sg, du, pl):
ex-d.png
ex-d.png (124.89 KiB) Viewed 7184 times
and below are the complete set of basic glyphs
More: show
ex-f.png
ex-f.png (80.42 KiB) Viewed 7184 times
ex-g.png
ex-g.png (200.36 KiB) Viewed 7184 times
the concept behind all of this is that it's all supposed to look like occult symbols you might see or use at the site of some arcane ritual. there's photoshop glitches, inconsistent line thicknesses, and so on in some of these images, but i think the basic idea is there. i'm curious what people think
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

♥Adorable!♥

No, just kidding, I think youve done a great job by using abstract symbols rather than e.g. sticking pentagrams and inverted crosses all over the place. Actually, now that I see it, the standalone /s/ is an inverted cross, but that wont be appearing by itself often enough to be conspicuous. I've heard of the Ars Goetia but I had no idea there was anything like this involved with it .... I thought it was just a list of pseudo-Hebrew-looking names.

Very nice work.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I transcribed a few names from my Leaper language into the script:
I repurposed the spelling a bit ... e.g. using final -k to denote a tone that arose from a previous final /k/.

I think I see what you mean about the Photoshop problems .... some of the elements are an even number of pixels wide, while others are odd, so it's impossible to fully center one such element on another. Do you have a higher resolution version available?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Oh, that script rocks. Too complex for everyday use, but absolutely the right thing to create obscure- and menacing-looking magickal cryptograms!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Wow, that's incredible design work. I love it.

What is the direction of writing? I'm guessing left to right from your examples, but I think it would look very interesting arranged vertically, since each syllable has such a variable height.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Pabappa wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am ♥Adorable!♥

No, just kidding, I think youve done a great job by using abstract symbols rather than e.g. sticking pentagrams and inverted crosses all over the place. Actually, now that I see it, the standalone /s/ is an inverted cross, but that wont be appearing by itself often enough to be conspicuous. I've heard of the Ars Goetia but I had no idea there was anything like this involved with it .... I thought it was just a list of pseudo-Hebrew-looking names.

Very nice work.
thank you! one of the original sigils (link in the OP) did include a pentagram, and i put an edited version of it on my shortlist for base glyphs, but i left it out because graphically it seemed out of place with the rest of them. and plus, like, which vowel gets the honor of being the one that uses a pentagram lol
Pabappa wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:43 am I transcribed a few names from my Leaper language into the script:
I repurposed the spelling a bit ... e.g. using final -k to denote a tone that arose from a previous final /k/.

I think I see what you mean about the Photoshop problems .... some of the elements are an even number of pixels wide, while others are odd, so it's impossible to fully center one such element on another. Do you have a higher resolution version available?
neat! and yes, i do have a higher resolution version available (i reduced everything in size by 50% to post here) but it still has the same problems and probably more lol. my ultimate plan is to work out a font in font creator program, although that is going to be quite an undertaking lol
WeepingElf wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:13 pm Oh, that script rocks. Too complex for everyday use, but absolutely the right thing to create obscure- and menacing-looking magickal cryptograms!
thank you!
sasasha wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm Wow, that's incredible design work. I love it.

What is the direction of writing? I'm guessing left to right from your examples, but I think it would look very interesting arranged vertically, since each syllable has such a variable height.
hmm, that's a good point! yes, i had planned left to right, but vertical could work pretty well too. i imagine the bulk of its use would be in short inscriptions, in which case it would be dictated by the shape of what you're writing/carving on. once i make the font i'll play around with horizontal vs vertical writing and see which one looks best. for the time being, when writing left to right, the base (i.e. vowel/nucleus) glyphs should be vertically centered, rather than the entire composed glyph. also, there are no spaces between words, although in running text new sentences are indicated by a new line, usually with a space between the previous line (there is no punctuation). so the example pabappa gave would look like this (along with the pronunciation in the Language of the Book):
pabappa.png
pabappa.png (31.63 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Really cool! I see you took your dh coda from that thing. It looks like a professor freaking out. :mrgreen:
Bob

Post by Bob »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:44 am several years ago ...
I'm actually an expert on comparative belief studies or comparative religions, and I specialize in "Pagan Beliefs", beliefs that are not Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc. I don't write about it much, though, because I prefer to just focus on the languages and writing systems involved. Also, there's not a lot of interest and it gets heated quick. ( Pagan is the generally prefered scientific as well as Pagan believer term. Some people are surprised by this when I use it. I do use it even thought it is a blanket for what are really myriad different beliefs from vast stretches of time. The neglect and stigma under which they fall, however, is part of the reality of the term. People say they take all such things seriously yet are quite uninterested in funding or even countenancing serious scholarship regarding the same. )

This is interesting and reminds me of modern and c 1600s stuff. I'm actually more into the really old stuff more but have some familiarity with all of this sort of thing.

Dante notably made at least a psuedo-conlang, maybe a conlang, for a language of Hell, for his Divine Comedy. Otherwise there's been other things like that like in Western Occultism but they're all pseudo-conlangs so far as I remember and there's no real conlangs to be found.

I forget what different Christian believers think. There is a verse in the New Testament about "the tongues of angels" which is probably thought by many to refer to languages spoken by the angels. But then I remember also a large stream of thought that they have no need for languages themselves and communicate all through telepathy or such.

A conceptual comparison could be found in The Lord of the Rings' languages' Orc language(s). I have read that the major one is based on Hurrian, probably because Tolkein had read about it and thought it a good match. Though I don't think that's so fair for the Hurrians and Urartians, not at all. There is a trend in famous invented languages and pseudo invented languages to make evil or devilish languages sound gutteral like Arabic or Russian. Perhaps like German. There is some sort of ideal in all this to be found in c 1700s Operatic Italian, perhaps.

I actually study fairy tales, folklore, and myths A LOT, also, and there's probably some sense to this. On some level.

I also think it's unfortunate because in real life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there's a lot of good to be found in gutteral languages, the world over. This approach to foreign languages seems to draw on popular American and Western monolingualism and tendency to only study European languages. There is also some reflection of the history of Europe and the crusades in The Lord of the Rings.

The idea of a language of the gods or language of the fairies does occur in a number of places in history and prehistory. My own ideas of the Voynich Manuscript are that it's a fictional "Book of Fairies" depicting Fairyland from the Late Middle Ages or so. There was a hoax from also about then, maybe the 1700s, in Japan where examples of The Script of the Gods from which Japanese truly descended, not from Chinese, "were found" (hoaxed).

And then from all around the world and time, especially from more modern ethnology, I have read of and found examples of dialects, jargon, and languages particular to priests, shamans, and such, and having as part of their use "the best" interaction with the gods and ancestors and spirits and such. But these, "ritual languages" so called, are usually not very complex things, things not very far from the usual languages used by their people. But maybe I remember incorrectly. Very interesting and quite old, though not impossibly old, things can be found in such jargons or dialects.

It is also the nature of anthropological inquiry that the anthropologist has a limited amount of time to do a survey of a people and then also to attend to some special interest they'd like to investigate. And since we get the most details out of the living, there is then necessarily a sense of mystery, sadly often lost to modern scholars and scientists, regarding historic or ancient texts and their best interpretation.

Sigh. It is all a sadly under-studied field of inquiry which suffers from many misconceptions, ignorances, and insensitivities. There is too little of comparative language science or comparative anthropology about its paltry scholarship. People hold their beliefs quite close to them and yet seem very uninterested in funding scholarly and scientific investigation into any beliefs but their own. Which further obscures all beliefs and anthropology and human relations by extension.

People say they take all such things seriously yet are quite uninterested in funding or even countenancing serious scholarship regarding the same.

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing. It's interesting to see other people interested in such things on this message board. Some time ago, I found a member who was posting extensive mythological texts which were quite interesting to me.

Of course, I find my own works the most interesting but since very few specialize in what I do, I am at pains to explain my own work and the excellence of it. Yet for decades now I have been at pains to learn from others and extend myself to be interested in what interests them and encourage them in their studies. And that with proportion to my own striving after excellence and not in keeping with their deserving the same. And often find myself not treated with sensitivity despite my very real degree and various evidences given of great and extensive study, research, and world travel. Yet hopefully with time, and me blocking certain intolerant or even lazy or grumpy people, I will achieve some reasonable approach to posting and making replies to "threads" on this "internet message board". ( I'm far more used, by now, to facebook groups. )

And, after all, though I have a great specialty in my studies of studying comparative beliefs (many today object to the word religion, though it is easily stretched to fit whatever is needed to be studied such as these), I'm more into the study of language science and especially the same applied to all 50 known logographic writing systems. That said, I have rarely met my equal for wide and careful comparative study of beliefs. Academia is at some odds with my own approach to various topics. Though I rely on the writings they put out quite a bit. Source texts and discussion of concepts, though, are the places to go first for such things.
masako

Post by masako »

Bob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:19 am I have rarely met my equal...
Dude. Seriously, relax.
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Please Bob, I'm begging you, write a response to another thread that doesn't involve you going on and on about stuff you have done.
Emily

Post by Emily »

hail satan