Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Yalensky

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Yalensky »

gokupwned5 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:18 pm next: to speculate, to hypothesize
Keševan uderabze, uderabu, uderaûta (these principal parts are the infinitive, 3s present, and passive participle respectively) 'speculate', from ude- which means 'between/in the center of' (also used as an intensifier) and rabze 'think'. Shifted in meaning from original 'introspect'.

next: strike, work stoppage
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:09 pm
next: strike, work stoppage
Play:
faya pap ka , "slave attack event"
patap sanu , "to play at work; to give oneself dessert". The Play party was founded in the year 4127 by female slaves rebelling against the ruling Leaper party. To them, all work was slavery, because although some slaves were paid, they were paid only with the things they needed to survive, and thus they were bound to their plantations and labor camps.

The Players were able to defeat their Leaper overseers without violence by agreeing to all stop work at the same time. There were tens of thousands of slaves confined in a relatively small area, so they were able to communicate quickly. An unrelated war broke out soon afterwards, and although it was difficult, the Players won this conflict as well. Military victory turned the Players into the unquestioned ruler of their empire, and as they gained converts, they became effectively a tribe.

The word I translate as dessert here has the specific narrow sense "intangible reward earned by hard work", thus suggesting a period of play time after a long period of work. For children, and with the classifier prefix mi-, it would take on the very same meaning it has in English: a sweet food eaten after one has finished a healthy but not very appetizing meal.

Poswa:
I could theoretically derive the Play words into Poswa as waepapa and pappwa respectively, but the morpheme order is different than what would be expected for Poswa, so I want new coinages.

Even the most trusted workers in the Poswob Empire are routinely trapped in their workplaces by trained animals so that they cannot escape. To strike, one would need to avoid showing up for work in the first place. Thus a "play at work" metaphor is not possible.

tšušas "doing work only to survive; conserving energy". This is a word people could use to describe what they do during a strike. Though not etymologically related, this describes the lifestyle of the newly independent Player state many thousands of years earlier: the Players believed it was possible to run a nation entirely without labor, and therefore refused to do anything at all aside from grabbing ready-to-eat foods they saw right in front of them.

džusompala, "to avoid a workplace".

Both of these could be turned into nouns with a nominalizing suffix such as /-V-p/ or /-V-na/, but the verbal form would see the most use. Plural verb marker is /-w-V-š-V/, so e.g. tšuššwošo "we're on strike", etc.

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:16 pmnext: cartwheel (gymnastics)
atsalamya - cartwheel ("make wheel movement")

atsa - disc; rotate; wheel
yala / -la - walk; go; travel
muya / -mya - cause; do; make [CAUS]

next: childish nature; infantile; juvenile; puerile (derogatory or neutral connotations)
Neon Fox

Post by Neon Fox »

masako wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:00 pm next: childish nature; infantile; juvenile; puerile (derogatory or neutral connotations)
xezevlu: childish
/ɬe 'zev lu/

ZVL: child, kid, youngster
1e23u: descriptive adjective
xe-: despective prefix

Next: naive; innocent in a way harmful to oneself
masako

Post by masako »

Neon Fox wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm next: naive; innocent in a way harmful to oneself
Kala:

kame - be artless; innocent; naive

next: since (a time); ever since
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:15 pm next: since (a time); ever since
Poswa:
-s š-
So .... that doesnt really look like a word, I know, but things like this are always represented as inflections rather than by standalone words in Poswa. Even so, the /š/ does take person markers in most situations and I consider it a verb.

mant-V-mp- "to adopt an owl" (from /mantipa/ "owl" and you know how I love fusional inflections)
-o 1st person verb ending (canonically singular, but the plural circumfix w-V-š-V is very often omitted)

Mantompos šo, taššifattovumbo.
Ever since we adopted our owl, we haven't seen a squirrel.

The diachronics of Poswa are such that I'm strongly tempted to collapse the -s š- sequence into just a single affix -š-, which would mean that one could say
Mantompošo ...
Since we adopted the owl ....

Pabappa:
-mma waba
Basically the same idea, but Pabappa lost this particular use of -s and also lost word-initial š-, so neither of the morphemes that Poswa uses survive here. This corrects a mistake I made in my last post here where I wrote that Pabappa had lost serial verb marking entirely and had to use a separate word /pummos/. In fact, /pummos/ > /pumma/ > /mma/ is a regular sound change in unstressed position after a vowel; Im still pondering what to do when it occurs after a consonant.

masako

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 am overcast; clouds covering the sky
Kala:

kihumpo - bad weather; overcast
nyepampa - cloudy; overcast (lit: many cloud(s))

next: to deceive; to cheat; to hoodwink
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:56 pm next: to deceive; to cheat; to hoodwink
Keševan šeïgze, šeïgo 'cheat', from igze, igo 'play' with a suffix literally meaning 'under'. The principal parts shown are the infinitive and 3rd person singular present. The verb is intransitive. You can put the game as an object of the preposition se 'in'. The victim may be an indirect object. Example: za ne šeïgaima se verčam 'you cheated me at cards!'

next: to loot, to plunder
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 amnext: to loot, to plunder
Kala:

tlotso - loot; plunder; rob

next: to hire; to rent; to charter; to rent out; to lease out
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 amnext: to loot, to plunder
Kala:

tlotso - loot; plunder; rob

next: to hire; to rent; to charter; to rent out; to lease out
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:57 am next: to hire; to rent; to charter; to rent out; to lease out
Keševan šeašše (inf), šeašo (3s), šeašta (pass part) (a fairly regular verb) 'rent', but specifically referring to the rental of equipment or services. The root means 'hour', referring of course to the time intervals by which a rental might be priced.

next: charlatan
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:58 pmnext: charlatan
Kala:

uaneko /waˈnɛːko/ - trickster; swindler; charlatan

next: demented; unhinged
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:36 pm next: demented; unhinged
Keševan arrabla 'insane, demented', lit. 'without-thought-adj'

next: expert
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 amnext: expert
Kala:

monka - expert; adept; experienced; a professional

ha paka nye monkan
/ha ˈpaːka ɲɛ ˈmoːᵑkan/
3sg be.foolish because expert-ACC
He's an expert at foolishness.

next: to ridicule; to mock
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 pm
next: to ridicule; to mock
Poswa:
šin to reverse, undo; to oppose, exclude; to single someone out or point at them.
This is the most harsh word, used when the agent is trying to embarrass the patient in front of a large crowd of people. It is the word used to describe childish teasing, and also the word used for a man challenging another man to a fight (despite the Poswobs being pacifists, their male subculture involves a lot of fights, they just must play safe and not cause permanent injuries).
Wišita plenwop tapias šubiebel.
The teacher ridiculed the student who slipped.

Poswa has relatively few monosyllabic roots, and those that it does have tend to change their stems wildly from one inflected form to another, so mutations like this are common.

beš to mimic, mock; decoy
This is a more neutral word, and can be used in a positive sense when one person copies another as a tribute. e.g. i posted a fish picture last night because i was impressed with both the size of the fish and the quality of the photo. I could even make a word pupubep- "to reproduce a picture", perhaps a good translation of "repost" etc on social media.

Pitepi pupubepebi.
I reposted your trout photo.

nammumpu to laugh at authority, to expose an intimidator's weakness
This specifically describes laughing in the face of another person. The etymology is literally "sign laugh", but I dont remember why I chose those words. I know that the story goes back to a female coworker i had at a job sixteen years ago ... but I didnt write down the details. She was not my boss, but did have seniority over me, and its possible that she once tried to give me orders and i just laughed at her in return. But I'd think I would remember that. I do know that, despite my not respecting her authority, we got along well .... she quit after not getting a promotion she had hoped for, but it's likely she had by then found a different job entirely. So I see this word as describing a friendly, playful laugh in its most common use, but one that can also be used to cut someone down to size.

din

Post by din »

asidadir ˈɛsɪˌðɛðɪɹ (n) fable, tale.

It's the active participle of asidir (v) tell, recount, narrate, which is in turn composed of a- (transitive prefix), sid- (prefix for things pertaining to the mouth) and ir (verb meaning to see).

Contrasts with sienît /ˈɕənɪi̯t/, which is more of an account, a retelling of events (lit. away-time). Also contrasts with polôrhaso /ˈpoloʊ̯ˌɹɛsʊ/, which is more of a tall tale (lit. a brew, concoction)

- - - -

next: wasp (or some other violent stinging insect, if your conlang is spoken on another planet)
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

din wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:56 pm
next: wasp (or some other violent stinging insect, if your conlang is spoken on another planet)

Tapilula: kanulànʷo
Proto-Dreamlandic: čanuliaŋua
Old Andanese: kanulàŋo
Gold: nŭlana
Baywatch: senule (final -ŋua dropped because of reanalysis as "bird; flying animal")
Galà: enulàŋo
Proto-Moonshine: nəlana
Late Andanese: sunulagu
Leaper: nŏlana
Poswa: peppati (a narrow etymology is "bee that surprises (you) with its foot (bottom end)")
Pabappa: sinup (a narrow etymology is "swamp bee that chases (you)")

next: maiden, young unmarried woman
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Proto-Nyango
Human maiden/young woman: wɔtəmjɛ
female kaibyou under 100 years: ɳjɔmautsʉ

Next:
tea, or a beverage brewed similarly to tea
Last edited by linguistcat on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cat and a linguist.
din

Post by din »

Since most of the world's languages borrowed the word (indirectly) from either Chinese or Malay, I don't have much choice in this one...

tai /tɛa̯/ (n) tea; (v) to take a break (colloq., compare ogid) {ultimately from MS teh}

(also, who decided that the two-letter abbreviation for Malay should be MS?!)
- - -

next: bolt
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

din wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm next: bolt
Keševan nuvša 'bolt', specifically the kind of sliding bolt that serves as a simple lock for a door. From a root meaning 'shut' plus a derivational suffix creating words for tools and furnishings.

(Looking through my lexicon, there's also zot 'lightning bolt')

next: mustache