Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Yalensky

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Yalensky »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 pm next: contract, document of written agreement
Keševan ellanga 'contract'. Breaks down morphemically as "fore-saying," i.e. what was said or promised beforehand.

Next word: imaginary
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:21 am next: imaginary
mali - fictitious; theoretical; virtual; imaginary

next: to thwart; to obstruct (sth)
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 pm next: to thwart; to obstruct (sth)
In Keševan the verb is udekošše in the infinitive, udekošu in the 3rd person singular present (the two principal parts for this verb). Morphemically breaks down as "between-stand", since standing in between things is to get in the way.

But because that's an old word, I'll make one for another of my conlangs, Mejaguese: fig 'obstruct, impede; prevent'. Example: hafig herga omaij 3p-prevent soldier 1s-flee 'The soldier(s) kept me from fleeing.'

Next word: shuffle (cards)
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:42 pm next: shuffle (cards)
uahimya - shuffle, randomize

uahi - be arbitrary; at will; at random

-mya - causative

next: flat; level; equal
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:03 pm next: flat; level; equal
Keševan aiv means 'equal' or 'level', kab 'smooth, flat'.

Mejaguese šu can mean all of these, and also 'balanced', 'proportionate', even 'harmonious'. It is part of the compound word šuseg 'temperance' (seg 'think, believe').

next: comet
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 pmnext: comet
Kala:

samakoliha "long-tailed star"; comet

next: to leave port; to put off; to set sail
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

masako wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 am
next: to leave port; to put off; to set sail
Poswa:
Im reading these as reflexive verbs, so I'll give the reflexive forms.
pinep (literal)
labbop (literal or metaphorical; can also mean "drop oneself, give oneself over, fall on purpose")

The first word would be more common and does not need to occur in a sentence with a word for boat. The second one has a much broader meaning and when used alone would give the impression that one was launching themselves, not a vessel they were in.

Reflexive verbs can be transitive, but the patient is typically external. So, if either of these verbs were used with a word for "boat" in the accusative case, it would sound like the person was launching themselves *from* the boat. (Though it would make more sense to use the locative even for that.)

Pipampi pimpi.
I left the port.

Oh by the way, this word merges with the unrelated "bubble" when used as a verb, so the sentence would be heard literally as "I bubbled from the port", which works just about as well, right?

A sentence with the second verb might look like

Pupapo lappi.
With my boat I set off.

next:
tortoise, turtle
karaluuebru

Post by karaluuebru »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 pm next:
tortoise, turtle
Tereshi II: plìkkilom neuter 1) tortoise, turtle.

From Tereshi I plikkilaa from plikkaa (flatstone)+ -l- suffix. Related to plìkkonwi flatstone reptile = crocodile

next:
dance
Risla

Post by Risla »

karaluuebru wrote: next:
dance
Tehemne máhai, ultimately from a root meaning "spin" (I haven't mapped out proto-languages etc yet though).

next:
stick, adhere
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Risla wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:33 am next:
stick, adhere
Keševan kuvesse, kuveso, kuveîta 'stick smth onto somth' (the principle parts are infinitive, 3rd sing present, and pass part respectively), from ku- + vesse, veso, veîta. The prefix comes from the preposition ku which means 'against' but also 'on or in the side of', and the verb vesse means 'hang' (transitive). The smaller thing that gets stuck is the direct object, and the surface receiving the sticker is put in a prepositional phrase with ku.

Example:
Na ku mureše kuvessa kúpeša še veše.
1s against wall-GEN stick-PAST.1S document-ACC under nail-GEN
'I stuck a document to the wall with a nail.'

Note that this language likes putting non-core arguments immediately in front of the verb. In this example, it's one of the prepositional phrases. The other one uses še, which is literally 'under' but is also used for inanimate instrumentals. Also, my verb kuvesse is specifically transitive. Keševan doesn't have ambitransitive nouns, so *Kupeš ku mureše kuvesa 'The document stuck to the wall' is not grammatical. Haven't come up with an intransitive verb for 'stick, adhere (to)' yet. Keševan has several unpredictable ways of changing a verb's valency, and oftentimes trans/intrans pairs are from different roots entirely.

next: bracelet
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:16 amnext: bracelet
Kala:

anisonyo

ani - ring; bracelet (hypernym for jewelry not worn in ears)

sonyo - wrist; coil; curve

next: to stifle; to restrain; to hold back
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 am next: to stifle; to restrain; to hold back
Keševan šehasse, šehaso, šehaîta 'stifle, suppress, restrain, hold back', especially with regard to noises, emotions, impulses, involuntary bodily functions and the like. The initial še- is from the preposition described in my last post, and -hasse comes from has ''quiet, still, calm' plus a causative infinite ending.

Example:
pákseča šenu šekoše šehasse čoma.
hurt-ACT.PART invalid not.able-PAST.3S stifle-INF moan-ACC
'The suffering invalid could not suppress a moan.'

(I really do have a love affair with š. Also I might change how active participles like the one in the example are formed.)

Mejaguese fompan 'id.', though used in a wider variety of contexts than the Keševan word. From fom 'tight, close, near, fast' + pan 'hold'.

Example:
sifompan ögor ni hai siñake.
3S-suppress government TOP people 3S-want
'The government suppressed the will of the people.'

next: spine, backbone
Arzena

Post by Arzena »

next: spine, backbone
Empotle7a:
khápáwonó 'tree-bone' or khápá 'tree'

next: vote, ballot.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Veteran of the 1st ZBB 2006-2018
CA TX NYC
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Arzena wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 pm next: vote, ballot.
Poswa:
plambe, to vote in an election. The related word plantietas means an election.

For ballot, I seem to have run into the same problem as when I needed to translate "menu": I know I have a word for it, but I seem to have forgotten to write it in my main dictionary. And I wont consider any new word I coin to be canonical until I can find what my other word was. For now, I found pempo "list of labels or names". So the word for ballot could be

plambepempo or just bepempo, since the longer word plambe is transparently compounded from plam "measure" and be "choose, select". Even so, I like the longer word better. Election officials who wanted a shorter word would probably just use pempo by itself instead of the half-abbreviation bepempo.

Pabappa:
plambil , to vote in an election. A direct loan from Poswa. A native translation could be such as pip tumu "to show support". The word for menu is a bit clumsy: pipimptim, but this would probably work because elections are not a major component of Pabap society. A shorter word could be mutim "list, series", which is the 2nd morpheme in the longer word. Thus a good translation for ballot could be

pip tumu mutim, which word-by-word means "support sharing list".

next:
rainwater, runoff, puddles on the ground
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm next:
rainwater, runoff, puddles on the ground
rain: səkôr (Proto-Tshyak) qwuor (Old Zlang)
water: yèk (Proto-Tshyak), yiek (Old Zlang)
pool: ʔəlaw (Proto-Tshyak), lâw (Old Zlang)
rainwater: yèk səkôr (Proto-Tshyak), yiek qwuor (Old Zlang)
puddle of rain: ʔəlaw səkôr (Proto-Tshyak), lâw qwuor (Old Zlang)
slide (IPFV only): zlòh (Proto-Tshyak), zyoh (Old Zlang)
runoff: yèk zlòh (Proto-Tshyak), yiek zyoh (Old Zlang)

Next: tree, forest, canopy, understory, grove, copse
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:09 pm Next: tree, forest, canopy, understory, grove, copse
Some Keševan words: beûša ‘forest’, akra ‘tree’, raž ‘grove’, and zarne ‘treetop, canopy’ (from zar ‘branch’ + -ne collectivizer) which can also mean ‘candelabrum’. A nice image, I thought.

Mejaguese ñe ‘forest’, či ‘tree’, čieg ‘woodlands, forested territory’

next: the flu
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:56 am next: the flu
fever: kəśòp (Proto-Tshyak), śûok (Old Zlang)
cough (IPFV): trow (Proto-Tshyak), trhow (Old Zlang)
sickness: kyam (Proto-Tshyak), cham (Old Zlang)
the flu: kyam kəśòp trow (Proto-Tshyak), cham śûok trhow (Old Zlang)

next: bee, hive, honey, nectar, pollen, flower, queen, worker, drone
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:59 am next: bee, hive, honey, nectar, pollen, flower, queen, worker, drone
Keševan has a few bee related words: sáûzača ‘bee’, salos ‘beehive’, velma ‘honey,’ niz ‘flower’. New words: árnača ‘pollen’ < diminutive of arna ‘dust’; vélmača ‘nectar’ < diminutive of velma ‘honey.

In Mejaguese I have no bee-related words except uno ‘flower’. New words: empa ‘bee’; empanar ‘hive’; öba ‘honey’ (< made to look plausibly like a loanword from the same as-yet-unknown source as Calintese yovo 'honey').

next: slime, mucus
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 am next: slime, mucus
This is a word that has been in my conlangs for more than ten years, but to my surprise, I eliminated it from the Pabappa dictionary and the words for it in Poswa aren't very precise. I must have been relying on a word-generator for that word and ended up pruning it out when I went through a few years ago to give everything proper etymologies from the parent language.

Poswa:
maemam means "moving slowly, like slime", but I wouldn't use this as a word for slime by itself since it could apply to many other things. The etymology is actually "clean (thing) chasing" and I may have originally been thinking of soap slowly flowing down the walls of a shower stall. There is also džuffap "sand in the throat; jelly, collagen" and several words meaning "elastic, springy" such as wupa and žipi. The polysemy of the first word is a reference to the Poswob practice of force-feeding bowls of sand to criminals and others deemed worthy of punishment, so that the sand would get trapped in their lungs, causing internal bleeding and impairing their breathing for the rest of life. Thus criminals were identified in Poswob society by their frequent wet coughing and shortness of breath rather than any visible mark on the skin, but many incidents of false assumptions transpired.

This is not finalized, but I think Im going to translate slime as džuffaba for now, using the sand/jelly word and the suffix -ba "substance", which funnily enough is I think actually derived from an unrelated word that meant slime in the parent language 7000 years earlier.

Pabappa:
This is going to be tough because none of the four words I mentioned above with Poswa are available here. sibu means honey and I have it precisely defined as "bee honey; viscous, thick, slimy substance; to move through something", so perhaps with a qualifier it could just mean slime. Maybe tia "sticky, adhesive; to deceive, lie, trick"? Slime isn't really that sticky, but then again, it's stickier than most things that move through your fingers, so perhaps it'll have to do.

tiasibu "slime".

Late Andanese:
guapi , from gu- + api, both meaning slime on their own. Possible compound gapi or gupi, more likely the latter, depending on the date of compounding. This might in turn need to be further compounded, though, as the language has only 30 syllables and there is almost certainly another /gupi/ in the lexicon. One possibility for an extension is nuta "secretion, leak". So a total word could be gupinuta.

Galà:
àki "slime". No further compounding needed, although as in the closely related Late Andanese there might be ad-hoc compounding even so.

Baywatch:
For now, nōnti , a compound of proto-Dreamlandic ŋuā and yanki, both meaning "slime" on their own.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:47 am next: tie, bind, rope; to tie two things together
tie: tśam (pfv.), tśem (ipfv.) (Proto-Tshyak), tśham (pfv.), tśhen (ipfv.) (Old Zlang)
rope: gəlok (Proto-Tshyak), lôk (Old Zlang)
bind: haŋ (pfv.), hoŋ (ipfv.) (Proto-Tshyak), haŋ (pfv.), hoŋ (ipfv.) (Old Zlang)

next: climb, ascend, scale (v.)