Sound Change Quickie Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
bbbosborne

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by bbbosborne »

missals wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:43 pm I would think you could get P' from sP extremely simply, just by sP > hP > PP > P'

I mean, I think hP > PP is plausible. It could go hP > ʔP > PP, and that would be plausible for sure, right?
yea, PP is literally ʔP.
when the hell did that happen
dhok

Post by dhok »

*ʔP > hP is attested in most of Algonquian (Blackfoot, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Cree and Menominee excepted); *hP > PP is attested in Ojibwe, and *hp > ʔP in Shawnee.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Deriving a language from Old Japanese, which was pretty strictly CV with some word-initial V syllables. After some vowel loss, I plan to have various sound changes happening to the various consonant combos that result from this. I can deal easily with nasal+stop and I might just make 2 of the same consonant a long consonant, which would be before it happened in Japanese AFAIK. Having trouble deciding what to do with two different stops, stop+s or s+prenasalized stop sequences. My first instinct for this language is to say that the first stop of two becomes a fricative, but I like that best when it's two plain stops and would like to do something more interesting with sequences involving prenalized stops (and z, which was also prenasalized).

I'd like this language to sound "cat like" but I also know that what that means varies a little depending on people's own experiences. But for me that would suggest more nasals, more fricatives/trills and possibly making it tonal instead of relying on pitch accent.
A cat and a linguist.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Let N = nasal, S = stop, F = fricative, and P = prenasalisation

PS/N/_PS
SP/N/_S
S/F/(P)_S
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

mèþru wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:02 pm Let N = nasal, S = stop, F = fricative, and P = prenasalisation

PS/N/_PS
PS/N/_S
S/F/(P)_S
These are actually pretty close to what I came up with. On the last sound change, what do you mean by putting (P) in the condition like that? I want to make sure I understand what you were going for.
A cat and a linguist.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Just making it clear that it doesn't matter whether the first stop is prenasalised or not for that rule
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Ah, I get what you mean then. I might play around a bit, especially since I still have other combos to decide.
A cat and a linguist.
missals

Post by missals »

I have recently speculated a bit about a Romlang in which the Latin vowels turn out as:

Latin > Romlang

i i: > e i
e e: > e i
a a: > a a
o o: > o u
u u: > o u

Now, I am certain this is possible if it evolved directly from the Latin vowel system, since the length distinction would keep /e:/ and /i/ (etc) from merging before the quality distinction collapsed.

However, I would want to derive it from Proto-Romance, where the distinction between the vowels was primarily by quality, i.e.

Latin > PR > Romlang

i i: > ɪ i(:) > e i
e e: > ɛ e(:) > e i
a a: > a a > a a
o o: > ɔ o(:) > o u
u u: > ʊ u(:) > o u

Without relying on any possible remaining length distinction, is this possible? Has anything like this happened before?

I suspect that maybe the "laxness" of the historical short vowels and the "tenseness" of historical long vowels could result in /ɪ ɛ ɔ ʊ/ being a bit more centralized and /i e o u/ being a bit more peripheral, thus avoiding a merger between the qualitative pairs, and encouraging a merger between the quantitative pairs.
Knit Tie

Post by Knit Tie »

What do you think about this sound chanɡe, where pharynɡealisation/uvilarisation on consonants becomes a vowel quality distinction?

i u ɛ → e o æ/ Cˤ_; _Cˤ
æ ɑ →a
e ɛ →e

This results in a classic 5-vowel system.

Also, how's this diachronic shift chain, assuminɡ that /ʕ/ exists in the lanɡuaɡe already?

ɡ → ʁ →ʕ →ŋ
dhok

Post by dhok »

Knit Tie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:29 am What do you think about this sound chanɡe, where pharynɡealisation/uvilarisation on consonants becomes a vowel quality distinction?

i u ɛ → e o æ/ Cˤ_; _Cˤ
æ ɑ →a
e ɛ →e

Also, how's this diachronic shift chain, assuminɡ that /ʕ/ exists in the lanɡuaɡe already?

ɡ → ʁ →ʕ →ŋ
I'm pretty sure exactly that sort of vowel shift has happened in at least one dialect of Arabic--Moroccan, maybe?

*g > ŋ unconditionally has occurred in Čiwere, a Siouan language. *ʕ > ŋ may have occurred in some dialects of Hebrew, but may be an L1-influenced substitution; ʕ seems not to fortite much. (But then again, it's so rare that there just aren't many known changes.)
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Knit Tie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:29 am What do you think about this sound chanɡe, where pharynɡealisation/uvilarisation on consonants becomes a vowel quality distinction?

i u ɛ → e o æ/ Cˤ_; _Cˤ
æ ɑ →a
e ɛ →e

ɡ → ʁ →ʕ →ŋ
The vowels look fine. The second shift I'd either go g > ŋ as Dhok suggested or add an extra step: ɡ > ʁ > ʕ > ʔ > ŋ.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

ʕ →ŋ
😳 I may be the source of this myth, to be honest .... I read something long ago about Hebrew and repeated it here, and it got bundled into the Index Diachronica. Though in my defense, even there, it says that it may have been a substitution rather than a true sound change .... basically what dhok says.

I dont think unconditional /ʕ/ > /ŋ/ is a reasonable sound change. I dont think /ʔ/ > /ŋ/ works either. On the other hand, I'm sure /g/ > /ŋ/ is fine, perhaps with a middle stage of /ŋg/ at least between vowels. I would just use /g/ > /ŋ/ unless you have a specific reason to also bump off some other sounds.
Knit Tie

Post by Knit Tie »

I thought that /ʕ/ > /ŋ/ was a better sound change than /ʔ/ > /ŋ/ due to rhinoglottophilia? In any case, /ʕ/ is, as dhok said, very rare, so I think I can just make stuff up here with little consequence. I do want to turn /g/ into the velar nasal via /ʕ/ to merge it with preexistent /ʕ/, though.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 amI dont think /ʔ/ > /ŋ/ works either.
I'm reasonably sure it's attested, though, and it's pretty straightforward rhinoglottophilia.
Ælfwine

Post by Ælfwine »

missals wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 am I have recently speculated a bit about a Romlang in which the Latin vowels turn out as:

Latin > Romlang

i i: > e i
e e: > e i
a a: > a a
o o: > o u
u u: > o u

Now, I am certain this is possible if it evolved directly from the Latin vowel system, since the length distinction would keep /e:/ and /i/ (etc) from merging before the quality distinction collapsed.

However, I would want to derive it from Proto-Romance, where the distinction between the vowels was primarily by quality, i.e.

Latin > PR > Romlang

i i: > ɪ i(:) > e i
e e: > ɛ e(:) > e i
a a: > a a > a a
o o: > ɔ o(:) > o u
u u: > ʊ u(:) > o u

Without relying on any possible remaining length distinction, is this possible? Has anything like this happened before?

I suspect that maybe the "laxness" of the historical short vowels and the "tenseness" of historical long vowels could result in /ɪ ɛ ɔ ʊ/ being a bit more centralized and /i e o u/ being a bit more peripheral, thus avoiding a merger between the qualitative pairs, and encouraging a merger between the quantitative pairs.
I don't think anything like that has happened in the history of Romance. Though its not impossible, I think in Taravo you have a distinction preserved between short /i/ and long /eː/.

Apparently, in the northwestern Balkan region, the Romance vowel system had a tendency to confuse long /eː/ with /iː/ (but not I > E). This has been attributed to Greek influence, although it was only a passing phase. In analogy, you could have something like /oː/ > /uː/ happen as well.
missals

Post by missals »

Ælfwine wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm
I don't think anything like that has happened in the history of Romance. Though its not impossible, I think in Taravo you have a distinction preserved between short /i/ and long /eː/.

Apparently, in the northwestern Balkan region, the Romance vowel system had a tendency to confuse long /eː/ with /iː/ (but not I > E). This has been attributed to Greek influence, although it was only a passing phase. In analogy, you could have something like /oː/ > /uː/ happen as well.
Thanks for the info! I knew that nothing quite like this had happened in Romance, but I was curious if it was plausible typologically speaking, I guess.

Another thing I've been thinking of (inspired somewhat by English vowel allophony):

We start out with five vowels, /a e i o u/

o u > ə ɨ, except before [l], which vocalizes/drops, resulting in:

al > aɒ̯ > ɒ
el > eo̯
il > iu̯
ol > oo̯ > o
ul > uu̯ > u

(This creates fun alternations such as tamo/tamol > tamə/tamo)

But if original /u/ fronts, it seems appropriate for original [u̯] to front, and I am thinking of having an original [u̯] in a series of dipthongs like:

[au̯ eu̯ iu̯ ou̯]

Which would then become:

[aɨ̯ eɨ̯ iɨ̯ oɨ̯]

These don't seem very stable. It seems like they might be prone to further fronting, like to [ai̯ ei̯ i oi̯], which I guess works, but does anyone have any other ideas for what they could become? Especially since it's not syllabic, I feel that the [ɨ̯] offglide is likely to become a consonant. But what consonant is [ɨ̯] likely to become?
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

missals wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pmBut what consonant is [ɨ̯] likely to become?
/ɰ/ or /j/ seem the likeliest to me.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

is /pʃ/ > /ʙ/ plausible?
when the hell did that happen
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

bbbosborne wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm is /pʃ/ > /ʙ/ plausible?
I don't think so, /ʙ/ usually is a result of lenition of /b/, like /r/ is a result of lenition of /d/ or /z/ (i.e. Proto Germanic > North and West Germanic)
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

missals wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pmBut what consonant is [ɨ̯] likely to become?
For me, it is /ɹ̪/.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero