Emok Scratchpad & Questions

Conworlds and conlangs
Elisas_001

Emok Scratchpad & Questions

Post by Elisas_001 »

Hello!

I'm new to conlang and trying something out for a world I've been working on.

I decided to start with the proto-language of the world for a couple reasons:

1) If I make something weird it will actually be used less
2) It gives me a starting point for other languages
3) Because it's the literal language of the literal god and the first of everything, it can actually be a little bit more logical/artificial sounding rather than messy and inconsistent (at least in my head)

Here's some basic info, some examples of what I have so far and some questions I'd like feedback on before I dive further in, because I'm getting cold feet standing on the edge of this high dive.

(PS. I literally just start learning a lot of the more advanced grammar vocab recently, so I would really, really appreciate it if people notice I have the incorrect name for something (or just a name I made up) that it gets pointed out with like a sentence of explanation? Pretty please!)

Premise/Background
Everything was once "one" big combo of energy and matter which then split, a la Big Bang. Different flavors of energy and of matter now make up a "physical world" and a "spiritual/energetic world" and shards/souls which remained intact enough hold dominion over the other, smaller pieces which are similar to them -> these are the gods and their domains.

Goals
  • I wanted a very simple phonology and was interested in getting a Polynesian sound, but a little harsher.
  • I wanted an agglutinative language where some core ideas and concepts could be easily combined to express other ideas
  • I wanted to have a lot of control over how perception, time, certainty are described, as well as ways to express the sense of completeness/isolation/part of a whole. All of these concepts seemed like they might be foremost in the main speakers' minds
What I have so Far
Phonology
Vowels
WrittenPronouncedEnglish Exampled
aahsaw
eaysay
iihbig
oohmow, sew
uoomoo, glue[/cell
yeeglee, tea
Consonants
p,b,d,t,g,h,l,m,k,glottal stop (')

Verb Tenses

Verbs are conjugated for tense by adding a tense suffix to the end of the verb, directly after the stem.
Tense Relative To PresentContinuingSimplePerfect
Far Past-oga--oma--oha-
Undetermined/Intermediate Past-ogi--omi--ohi-
Immediate Past-ogo--omo--oho-
Permanent Present-ego- (never was) -ega- (always is)
Now-ege--eme--ehe-
Fleeting-egi-
Immediate Future-ago--amo--aho-
Undetermined/Intermediate Future-agi--ami--ahi-
Far Future-aga--ama--aha-
Verbs are given a mood by adding a mood suffix directly after the tense suffix. These can convey the speakers perception of the events in terms of certainty that a thing has/will happen or their desire for it to happen.
Verbal MoodSuffixEnglish Implication
Potential-giThat may happen/ That may have happened
Belief-gaI think that will happen/ I think that happened
Probable-haThat probably will happen/That probably happened
Unprobable-hoThat probably did not happen/ That probably will not
Desire-huI hope that happens/She hopes that is what happened
Conviction-laI know that happened/ They know that will happen
Positive Certainty-leThat definitely happened
Negative Certainty-loThat definitely did not happen
Uncertainty (Lacking Conviction)-luI’m not sure that happened
Reflexive/Imperative
This can be created by adding a pronoun as a prefix to the verb. Imperatives will often have the desire (-hu) or the conviction (-la) mood as well as the immediate present tense (-eme-), if no other tense is important to meaning. An exception might be an order for something to be completed in the far future. Example (speaking to a singular listener): uk-STEM-ahala -> uk’oahala (you will have done…)

Demonstratives/Articles and Pronouns

Articles & quantifiers are attached to the end and beginning of the noun they modify (subj or obj). Demonstratives are attached as a prefix to the verb they are object to (much like pronouns in the reflexive/imperative situations.

Note: Demonstratives are only used for inanimate things.

[cell]
Article Quantifier Demonstrative
(proximal)
Demonstrative
(distal)
Some A-
(some/portion of)
-a
(part/incomplete)
Ay-
(some of this)
Y’a-
(some of that)
All/Every E-
(the, one, every___)
-e
(complete/whole, -full)
Ey-
(all of this)
Y’e-
(all of that)
Singular I-
(the, a, an)
-I
(alone, singular)
Iy-
(this)
Y’I-
(that)
Plural U-
(the, a, an, any)
-u
(many, plural, multitudinous, -full)
Uy-
(these)
Y’u-
(those)
Negative O-
(no, not, un, none)
-o
(none, zero, lacking, -less)
Oy-
(none of this/these)
Y’o-
(none of that/those)

Pronouns can be used independently as the subject or object of a verb. They can stand alone or prefix the verb which they are object to in the imperative/reflexive situation.

They can also be used to modify a noun being possessed by suffixing them to -hi’(pronoun).

Example: My money = bahi’el (wealth of me). This could further be modified to abahi’el (some of my wealth), ebahi’el (all of my wealth) or obahi’el (none of my wealth)

1st Person 2nd Person 3rd Person
Inclusvie Exclusive Animate Inanimate
Singular ek uk ak ok
Plural el et ul al ol
Elisas_001

Re: Emok Scratchpad & Questions

Post by Elisas_001 »

Word Order and Sentence Structure
Okay, so here's where I've got some big questions about is this even working.

I just picked a way and started translating sentences to see what would happen, so I'll explain my idea and then ask for some feedback on specific things.

Birds sing
Eyku belamokegale
e-yku belamok-ega-le
ALL-bird sing-PRMPRESENT-CERTAINTY

Children play
Edaba ubiegale
e-daba ubi-ega-le
ALL-child play-PRMPRESENT-CERTAINTY

Those are nice and simple, in some ways. Though they talk about an absolute trait of a class of things, hence using "e" for all instead of "u" for plural, and the permanent tense "ega" and the certain mood "le".

But then things started getting weird. I wanted to try something with adverbs and have them only exist as adjectives which modified the actor.

Yellow daffodils nodded gaily
Gehotahelage'idiu babomoga
geh-otah-hela-ge'-idi-u bab-omo-ga
yellow-spring-flower-with-happy-PL nod-PSTSMP-PERCEIVED

So the -ga implies that the speaker is projecting happiness onto the daffodils as they nodded.

ge' is used to suffix adjectives onto the end of a noun to describe how the noun is acting, otherwise adjectives are glommed onto the front of the noun stem (and I've yet to establish a specific order). Is that too much?

I recited twice.
Ekitibi'omokomole
ek-iti-bi'-omok-omo-le
1S-two-times-spoke-PSTSMP-CERT

I figured instead of having ek hang out all on it's own when there was nothing else it would get attached to the verb, thoughts?

Then I was like, wait, how do I show repetition. I could put a number down then affix it onto the verb with the multiplier bi'. But again, I'm worried this is becoming over complicated and illegible.

Basically, I really like the agglutinatve aspects of this language and I like trying to fill the adverb role in a different way, but I'm not sure how manageable it is in it's current form OR how on earth I'm going to deal with more complicated sentence structures and clauses. Also, I don't really know where to start because I'm new to this. Ideas, critique and suggestions are so incredibly welcome.
Elisas_001

Post by Elisas_001 »

Two other weird examples.

Up jumped the smallest boy
E'akimihibihodaba atuahakaomile
e'a-kimi-hibi-hod-daba atu-ahaka-omi-le
DIM(the)-most-small-male-child upward-jump-IMMD PST SMP- CERT

So movement direction is created by adding it to the verb.

My little white kitten purrs softly
Hibibahkiladabahi'ekige'lubi ahememele
hibi-bah-kila-daba-hi'-ek-ge'-lubi ahem-eme-le
small-white-cat-child-POSS-1S-with-softness hum-PRES SMP-CERT

So I'd worked out the possessive before I got to this sentence, suffix the pronoun for the source/owner using hi', and I guess that's closer to the kitten's identity than the manner in which is purrs, so it goes closer to kiladaba (cat-child). Also, had to add an 'I' inbetween ek and ge' because I'm thinking I don't want consonants next to each other unless they're h, but does that make things too difficult?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Welcome Elisas_001! What you have so far looks great — and quite different to what we normally have on this board — so I’d encourage you to keep on working on it. I do have some feedback on what you’ve done so far, though. In particular:
Elisas_001 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm Premise/Background
Everything was once "one" big combo of energy and matter which then split, a la Big Bang. Different flavors of energy and of matter now make up a "physical world" and a "spiritual/energetic world" and shards/souls which remained intact enough hold dominion over the other, smaller pieces which are similar to them -> these are the gods and their domains.
Most conworlds on this board tend to be more Earthlike, but what you have here looks very interesting. It would be particularly fascinating to see an in-depth treatment of this concept (à la Ik'Thulu).
Goals
  • I wanted a very simple phonology and was interested in getting a Polynesian sound, but a little harsher.
  • I wanted an agglutinative language where some core ideas and concepts could be easily combined to express other ideas
  • I wanted to have a lot of control over how perception, time, certainty are described, as well as ways to express the sense of completeness/isolation/part of a whole. All of these concepts seemed like they might be foremost in the main speakers' minds
As with your world, these goals look unusual, but very interesting. As you have noticed, that last point requires a lot of granularity in tense, aspect and mood, which you have already begun to describe. You may want to investigate Ithkuil, which has a very similar goal.
Phonology
Vowels
WrittenPronouncedEnglish Exampled
aahsaw
eaysay
iihbig
oohmow, sew
uoomoo, glue[/cell
yeeglee, tea
Consonants
p,b,d,t,g,h,l,m,k,glottal stop (')
In general, this is not the best way to describe a phonology. The main problem is that, depending on the accent of the speaker, they will pronounce your given example words in different ways. For instance, I pronounce moo as a central vowel, whereas many other English speakers pronounce it as a back vowel. I would highly encourage you to learn IPA, so you can unambiguously describe your phonemes. For now, here’s my best guess as to what your sounds actually are, and which letters they correspond to:

⟨p t k ʼ⟩ /p t k ʔ/
⟨b d g⟩ /b d g/
⟨h l m⟩ /h l m/
⟨a e i o u y⟩ /o e͡i ɪ ə͡u~o͡u u i/

It’s worth noting that this is a very unusual phonology… for instance, it’s very rare to have /l/ as your only approximant (most languages have /j/ as well), or /h/ as your only fricative, and it’s extremely unusual to have both of those at once. (Pirahã does come close, but that language is considered to be pretty weird.) The vowel system also seems very unusual, although a more fuller discussion of that will have to wait until you give proper IPA values for the vowels.
Verbs are conjugated for tense by adding a tense suffix to the end of the verb, directly after the stem.
Tense Relative To PresentContinuingSimplePerfect
Far Past-oga--oma--oha-
Undetermined/Intermediate Past-ogi--omi--ohi-
Immediate Past-ogo--omo--oho-
Permanent Present-ego- (never was) -ega- (always is)
Now-ege--eme--ehe-
Fleeting-egi-
Immediate Future-ago--amo--aho-
Undetermined/Intermediate Future-agi--ami--ahi-
Far Future-aga--ama--aha-
I’ve always had a fondness for languages with more than three tenses — it’s nice to see someone else exploring this area! It would be nice to see a fuller discussion of the situations where each tense is used. I would note though that ‘continuing’, ‘simple’ and ‘perfect’ are in fact aspects rather than tenses in linguistics, despite the way ‘tense’ is traditionally defined in English grammar. Given your goal of describing as many nuances of perception as possible, it would be interesting to have more than three aspects as well.
Verbs are given a mood by adding a mood suffix directly after the tense suffix. These can convey the speakers perception of the events in terms of certainty that a thing has/will happen or their desire for it to happen.
Verbal MoodSuffixEnglish Implication
Potential-giThat may happen/ That may have happened
Belief-gaI think that will happen/ I think that happened
Probable-haThat probably will happen/That probably happened
Unprobable-hoThat probably did not happen/ That probably will not
Desire-huI hope that happens/She hopes that is what happened
Conviction-laI know that happened/ They know that will happen
Positive Certainty-leThat definitely happened
Negative Certainty-loThat definitely did not happen
Uncertainty (Lacking Conviction)-luI’m not sure that happened
What you call moods here are actually evidentials. Mood is different, although equally fascinating, and given the type of language this is, I would add some moods too.
Reflexive/Imperative
This can be created by adding a pronoun as a prefix to the verb. Imperatives will often have the desire (-hu) or the conviction (-la) mood as well as the immediate present tense (-eme-), if no other tense is important to meaning. An exception might be an order for something to be completed in the far future. Example (speaking to a singular listener): uk-STEM-ahala -> uk’oahala (you will have done…)
Your first sentence here is a little vague — can you give an example please? As for the imperative, many natlangs have a special affix for that (often as part of their mood system); you might want to consider doing that.

________

Now, your word order. It seems you have a couple of questions about this, so I’ll do my best to try and answer them:
Elisas_001 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:32 pm But then things started getting weird. I wanted to try something with adverbs and have them only exist as adjectives which modified the actor.
I’m not sure how you would do this. In a sentence like You will go there tomorrow, the adverb tomorrow is not modifying the actor (i.e. you) in any sensible way; instead, it is modifying the action. Some highly agglutinative languages manage this by making adverbs into affixes attached to the verb; see below for more details on this.
Yellow daffodils nodded gaily
Gehotahelage'idiu babomoga
geh-otah-hela-ge'-idi-u bab-omo-ga
yellow-spring-flower-with-happy-PL nod-PSTSMP-PERCEIVED

So the -ga implies that the speaker is projecting happiness onto the daffodils as they nodded.
I don’t understand how this follows. Earlier in your description you describe -ga as meaning ‘belief; I think that will happen’. So surely this sentence would actually mean ‘I think yellow daffodils nodded gaily’?
ge' is used to suffix adjectives onto the end of a noun to describe how the noun is acting, otherwise adjectives are glommed onto the front of the noun stem (and I've yet to establish a specific order). Is that too much?
Personally, I do think this is too much. In fact, I think it is quite unplausible to ‘glom on’ adjectives to the noun like you describe here. Not even the most highly agglutinating languages in the world do this. If adjectives are separate words to nouns, then why would a speaker use a construction like gehotahelageʼidiu ‘yellow-spring-flower-adj.joiner-happy-PL’ over the conceptually simpler geh otahelau geʼ idi ‘yellow spring-flower-PL adj.joiner happy’?

(On the other hand, given the existence of noun incorporation, I’m not going to rule this out entirely. Of course, one of the motivations of noun incorporation is that an incorporated noun has different semantics to a non-incorporated noun, so you could consider doing something similar for your ‘adjective incorporation’.)
I recited twice.
Ekitibi'omokomole
ek-iti-bi'-omok-omo-le
1S-two-times-spoke-PSTSMP-CERT

I figured instead of having ek hang out all on it's own when there was nothing else it would get attached to the verb, thoughts?
This is very, very normal. In fact, almost all agglutinative languages do this. Generally, what happens is that the verb has an affix showing what person its subject is. This is called agreement For instance, here’s a random example from a grammar of Bororo I happen to be looking at:

io-rɨdɨ-re
1s-see-neutral
Maria
Maria-referent
jarɨji
yesterday

I saw Maria yesterday.

Here, the verb ‘rɨdɨ’ see has a personal affix io- ‘1s’ attached to it. If the subject had been Maria, the verb would instead have a ‘3s’ agreement marker to agree with the third person subject. Often, languages with personal agreement are pro-drop; this means that if the personal affix is there, the subject pronoun is dropped as it is now redundant. This can be seen in the Bororo example; it’s also what you did in your example above.

(Another related phenomenon is polypersonal agreement, which is where the verb agrees with two or more of its arguments. This is pretty interesting, and you may want to look into it)
Then I was like, wait, how do I show repetition. I could put a number down then affix it onto the verb with the multiplier bi'. But again, I'm worried this is becoming over complicated and illegible.

Basically, I really like the agglutinatve aspects of this language and I like trying to fill the adverb role in a different way, but I'm not sure how manageable it is in it's current form OR how on earth I'm going to deal with more complicated sentence structures and clauses. Also, I don't really know where to start because I'm new to this. Ideas, critique and suggestions are so incredibly welcome.
On adverbs, there are basically two approaches:
  • Have adverbs as in English, separate from the verb. This is what the vast majority of languages do. I would recommend doing this.
  • In some very, very agglutinative languages (called polysynthetic ones), the verb has a set of affixes which can convey adverbial meanings. For instance, Koasati has affixes like -mááli ‘in the same manner’, which can give you words like ááthimááli ‘[the cypress also] gives fruit in that same manner’.
And as for extreme agglutinativity/polysynthesis: you should really, really have a look at the polysynthesis thread from the old board. It could give you a lot of ideas as to how agglutinative languages actually work, how they express the same concepts that you’re exploring here, and possibly some ideas on what to add to your language.

And by the way: despite my criticisms above, I do think this is one of the most interesting starts to a conlang I’ve seen! Your goals in particular look very different to those of most conlangs, and I will be looking forward to seeing how you achieve them.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:09 am For now, here’s my best guess as to what your sounds actually are, and which letters they correspond to:

⟨p t k ʼ⟩ /p t k ʔ/
⟨b d g⟩ /b d g/
⟨h l m⟩ /h l m/
⟨a e i o u y⟩ /o e͡i ɪ ə͡u~o͡u u i/

It’s worth noting that this is a very unusual phonology… for instance, it’s very rare to have /l/ as your only approximant (most languages have /j/ as well), or /h/ as your only fricative, and it’s extremely unusual to have both of those at once.
The consonant inventory is a little weird, but not for those reasons. Not having /j/ is fine - it can be an allophone of /i/ adjacent to another vowel, and [j] frequently is analyzed that way. (One would then also expect [w] as an allophone of /u/ adjacent to another vowel.) The main problem is that there's /m/ but no /n/ - one would expect l > n. But the consonant inventory as given is plausible:

Toaripi (various papers that reference Brown 1973):
/p t k/
/f s/
/h l m/

Baule (Timyan 1977):
/p t c k kp/
/b d ɟ g gb/
/f s/
/l m/
/j w ɴ/
(ɴ = placeless nasal homorganic to the following consonant)

But Baule still has [n] - as a realization of /ɴ/ before a coronal, and as a realization of [l] in C1 position before a nasal vowel. The Toaripi SIL OPD is under the impression that Toaripi has /n/, but it's a SIL OPD, so who knows.

Very few pairs of languages have the same consonant inventory, so technically every consonant inventory is unusual. But the only problem here is the lack of /n/, and even then, one would expect [n] somewhere. Maybe voiced plosives are pronounced as nasals word-initially, or /l/ is realized as [n] in coda position...

The intended vowel inventory is probably /a e ɪ o i u/. (Using saw as a pronunciation guide is pretty bad - it's [ɑ] in the US west of the Mississippi, [ɔu̯] in parts of the Deep South, [ɔ] ~ [oə] in the US east of the Mississippi, and [oː] in the UK.) This seems reasonable, but "/ɪ/" should probably be analyzed as an underlying mid central or high-mid front vowel, as opposed to a lax high vowel; having a tense/lax contrast that's only needed for one vowel is a little weird, and /ɪ/ should be distinct from /i u/ in a way that makes it not subject to semivowelization.

Unless the English values are to be taken literally and we have [ɑ ej ɪ əw ɪj ʊw]. Which would be a little weird, but then you could analyze it as /a aj ə aw əj əw/ with a two-vowel system and /j w/ that can only appear in coda.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Looking at your example, it looks that the phoneme inventory is actually /a i u e o/ + /j/ written <a i u e o> + <y>.

Also, I see that your affixes lack variety, and there is no sandhi/epenthesis/other affix variations.

Tips how to make a good affix: think of an analytic construction, then do some change (e.g. removing the infinitive suffix) and delete the space, then do some more (e.g. phonetic erosion, stress-related reduction, and slurring).
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 am (Using saw as a pronunciation guide is pretty bad - it's [ɑ] in the US west of the Mississippi, [ɔu̯] in parts of the Deep South, [ɔ] ~ [oə] in the US east of the Mississippi, and [oː] in the UK.)
And in the Inland North THOUGHT is [ɒ~ɑ], albeit contrasting with PALM, which is [a].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Nortaneous wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 am Not having /j/ is fine - it can be an allophone of /i/ adjacent to another vowel, and [j] frequently is analyzed that way. (One would then also expect [w] as an allophone of /u/ adjacent to another vowel.)
But this was never mentioned at any point. I would have expected this to be mentioned if it existed.
The main problem is that there's /m/ but no /n/ - one would expect l > n. But the consonant inventory as given is plausible:

Toaripi (various papers that reference Brown 1973):
/p t k/
/f s/
/h l m/

Baule (Timyan 1977):
/p t c k kp/
/b d ɟ g gb/
/f s/
/l m/
/j w ɴ/
(ɴ = placeless nasal homorganic to the following consonant)
Gosh, these are interesting inventories. This makes the given consonant inventory sound much more plausible.
The intended vowel inventory is probably /a e ɪ o i u/. (Using saw as a pronunciation guide is pretty bad - it's [ɑ] in the US west of the Mississippi, [ɔu̯] in parts of the Deep South, [ɔ] ~ [oə] in the US east of the Mississippi, and [oː] in the UK.) This seems reasonable, but "/ɪ/" should probably be analyzed as an underlying mid central or high-mid front vowel, as opposed to a lax high vowel; having a tense/lax contrast that's only needed for one vowel is a little weird, and /ɪ/ should be distinct from /i u/ in a way that makes it not subject to semivowelization.
Given a very approximate reading of the English examples — yes, I suppose the vowel system could reasonably be /a e ɪ i o u/, or /a e ə i o u/, or /a ɛ e i o u/. I think I was misled by the fact that I pronounce saw and mow as /soː/ and /mə͡u/ respectively (I speak Australian English, I think), and /sɑ/ and /moː/ sound very unnatural to me. Of course, all this just proves my point that an English pronunciation guide is emphatically not the best way to present a phonology.

(By the way, I’ve never heard of /ɪ/ undergoing semivowelisation; could you elaborate on this? I can easily understand /i/ doing that, but not /ɪ/.)
Unless the English values are to be taken literally and we have [ɑ ej ɪ əw ɪj ʊw]. Which would be a little weird, but then you could analyze it as /a aj ə aw əj əw/ with a two-vowel system and /j w/ that can only appear in coda.
That’s a clever analysis! It would be pretty interesting to do a language based around this. And of course, it fits the highly-agglutinative theme (think NW Caucasian).
Xwtek wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am Looking at your example, it looks that the phoneme inventory is actually /a i u e o/ + /j/ written <a i u e o> + <y>.
I’m pretty sure that ⟨y⟩ is meant to be a vowel, rather than a semivowel — it’s listed with the vowels, and used as a vowel in affixes such as ⟨yʼa-⟩ ‘distal.some’, and in words such as ⟨yku⟩ ‘bird’.
Also, I see that your affixes lack variety, and there is no sandhi/epenthesis/other affix variations.
But in the context of being a highly-agglutinative language, this doesn’t necessarily have to happen to a large extent. All the polysynthetic and highly-agglutinative languages I can think of (with the notable exception of Navajo) are very boring from these perspectives; most of their affixes are just plain prefixes and suffixes, without many infixes, sandhi or other interesting phenomena. I suppose that when you have 30+ different affixes, any particularly difficult irregularities get rapidly analogised away.

Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 am I’m pretty sure that ⟨y⟩ is meant to be a vowel, rather than a semivowel — it’s listed with the vowels, and used as a vowel in affixes such as ⟨yʼa-⟩ ‘distal.some’, and in words such as ⟨yku⟩ ‘bird’.
You're spot on about ⟨yʼa-⟩. I just wonder why the vowel <y> is so rare, and I thought it only occur in V+y sequence which doesn't have to be in the same morpheme.
bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 am But in the context of being a highly-agglutinative language, this doesn’t necessarily have to happen to a large extent. All the polysynthetic and highly-agglutinative languages I can think of (with the notable exception of Navajo) are very boring from these perspectives; most of their affixes are just plain prefixes and suffixes, without many infixes, sandhi or other interesting phenomena. I suppose that when you have 30+ different affixes, any particularly difficult irregularities get rapidly analogised away.
Uh, no. Pretty much every language that I have read have some kind of sandhi or some mutation. For example, in Japan, you should put the verb to the approriate form before adding suffix. For example: iku + nai -> ikanai (*ikunai *ikinai *ikenai), but: iku + masu -> ikimasu (*ikumasu *ikamasu *ikemasu), iku + ba -> ikeba (*ikuba *ikaba *ikiba). Note that ikenai is iku + ru (potentive) + nai and ikemasu is iku + ru (potentive) + masu. However, the suffix is not simply -anai, -imasu, -eba, -eru, because for the verb taberu, the resulting form is instead tabenai, tabemasu, tabereba, taberareru, not *taberanai, *taberimasu, (tabereba is coincidentally correct), *tabereru. And having some sort of sandhi makes the affix more interesting feeling. Also, the affix should have more varied in length, with omission for the most common option. I'm not recommending complex sort of affix change. Just a simple sandhi. For example, paradigm for noun <yku> (using my own prefix) is SG yku -> ku, PL u+yku -> uyku, PART sed+yku-> sediku, ALL ane+yku -> aniku, NEG sed+yku+ha -> sedikuha. This can be made completely regular and still realistic.
There is also the fact that if you tell your everyday routine, none would be interested, but if you tell a controversial news, everyone would be interested.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Xwtek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 am
bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:38 am But in the context of being a highly-agglutinative language, this doesn’t necessarily have to happen to a large extent. All the polysynthetic and highly-agglutinative languages I can think of (with the notable exception of Navajo) are very boring from these perspectives; most of their affixes are just plain prefixes and suffixes, without many infixes, sandhi or other interesting phenomena. I suppose that when you have 30+ different affixes, any particularly difficult irregularities get rapidly analogised away.
Uh, no. Pretty much every language that I have read have some kind of sandhi or some mutation. For example, in Japan, you should put the verb to the approriate form before adding suffix. For example: iku + nai -> ikanai (*ikunai *ikinai *ikenai), but: iku + masu -> ikimasu (*ikumasu *ikamasu *ikemasu), iku + ba -> ikeba (*ikuba *ikaba *ikiba). Note that ikenai is iku + ru (potentive) + nai and ikemasu is iku + ru (potentive) + masu. However, the suffix is not simply -anai, -imasu, -eba, -eru, because for the verb taberu, the resulting form is instead tabenai, tabemasu, tabereba, taberareru, not *taberanai, *taberimasu, (tabereba is coincidentally correct), *tabereru. And having some sort of sandhi makes the affix more interesting feeling. Also, the affix should have more varied in length, with omission for the most common option. I'm not recommending complex sort of affix change. Just a simple sandhi. For example, paradigm for noun <yku> (using my own prefix) is SG yku -> ku, PL u+yku -> uyku, PART sed+yku-> sediku, ALL ane+yku -> aniku, NEG sed+yku+ha -> sedikuha. This can be made completely regular and still realistic.
You know, I previously had here a long list of highly-agglutinative languages, and wrote that none of them had any sort of sandhi. But then I looked in reference grammars for several of them, and discovered that in fact all of those did have some sort of sandhi or morphophonological alteration, even if it was quite minor in scope. So thanks for teaching me that!

(I do think many conlangers ignore this area though. I personally am getting around this by making a protolanguage instead, which I will run through a sound change applier to get my sandhi etc.)
There is also the fact that if you tell your everyday routine, none would be interested, but if you tell a controversial news, everyone would be interested.
Huh? What does that have to do with anything else in this thread?

Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:54 am Huh? What does that have to do with anything else in this thread?
It means that conlang should aim to be weirder than average natlang. Just like a good story may be too dramatic if it were real life.

Also, the suffixes look like completely made up and not coming from a word that gets accreted to another word.

Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Nortaneous wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 amThe intended vowel inventory is probably /a e ɪ o i u/. (Using saw as a pronunciation guide is pretty bad - it's [ɑ] in the US west of the Mississippi, [ɔu̯] in parts of the Deep South, [ɔ] ~ [oə] in the US east of the Mississippi, and [oː] in the UK.) This seems reasonable, but "/ɪ/" should probably be analyzed as an underlying mid central or high-mid front vowel, as opposed to a lax high vowel; having a tense/lax contrast that's only needed for one vowel is a little weird, and /ɪ/ should be distinct from /i u/ in a way that makes it not subject to semivowelization.
I vaguely recall seeing a language with /i ɪ e a o u/ in a linguistics textbook many years ago, which shocked me at the time because, on top of the /i ɪ/ - /u/ asymmetry, the "/ɪ/" was actually /i/ and the "/i/" was actually an "ultra-tense" /i̝ /... Do not ask me what language that was or the textbook I read that in. This might as well be a false memory...
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Ser wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm
Nortaneous wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 amThe intended vowel inventory is probably /a e ɪ o i u/. (Using saw as a pronunciation guide is pretty bad - it's [ɑ] in the US west of the Mississippi, [ɔu̯] in parts of the Deep South, [ɔ] ~ [oə] in the US east of the Mississippi, and [oː] in the UK.) This seems reasonable, but "/ɪ/" should probably be analyzed as an underlying mid central or high-mid front vowel, as opposed to a lax high vowel; having a tense/lax contrast that's only needed for one vowel is a little weird, and /ɪ/ should be distinct from /i u/ in a way that makes it not subject to semivowelization.
I vaguely recall seeing a language with /i ɪ e a o u/ in a linguistics textbook many years ago, which shocked me at the time because, on top of the /i ɪ/ - /u/ asymmetry, the "/ɪ/" was actually /i/ and the "/i/" was actually an "ultra-tense" /i̝ /... Do not ask me what language that was or the textbook I read that in. This might as well be a false memory...
Abawiri has /a ɒ ɛ i y u i̝/.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Xwtek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 am
bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:54 am Huh? What does that have to do with anything else in this thread?
It means that conlang should aim to be weirder than average natlang. Just like a good story may be too dramatic if it were real life.
I completely disagree with this! Conlangs are an entirely different genre to stories; for me personally, much of the skill in a conlang is in making it as naturalistic and ‘average’ as possible.

(Of course, a really, really weird conlang can be fascinating too, if well executed; that’s how I’m hoping thread will turn out. But most of the time those end up as ‘kitchen sinks’.)
Also, the suffixes look like completely made up and not coming from a word that gets accreted to another word.
What makes you say this? They look fine to me.

Darren

Post by Darren »

According to Wikipedia, Ukranian has /i u ɪ ɛ ɔ a/ which is basically the same thing, although
Wikipedia wrote: /ɪ/ may be classified as a retracted high-mid front vowel,[1] transcribed in narrow IPA as [e̠], [ë], [ɪ̞] or [ɘ̟].
Nila_MadhaVa

Post by Nila_MadhaVa »

Xwtek wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am Also, I see that your affixes lack variety, and there is no sandhi/epenthesis/other affix variations.
Xwtek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 am Also, the suffixes look like completely made up and not coming from a word that gets accreted to another word.
You might have missed this from the first post:
Elisas_001 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm 3) Because it's the literal language of the literal god and the first of everything, it can actually be a little bit more logical/artificial sounding rather than messy and inconsistent (at least in my head)
This lang seems very much like my own "divine proto-lang", in particular that there was nothing before it, i.e. it is an a priori conlang within the context of the setting, it is not a natlang with a parent. I don't see why such a lang wouldn't be highly (even totally) regular or why it's affixes should come "from a word that gets accreted to another word".
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Nila_MadhaVa wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Xwtek wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am Also, I see that your affixes lack variety, and there is no sandhi/epenthesis/other affix variations.
Xwtek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 am Also, the suffixes look like completely made up and not coming from a word that gets accreted to another word.
You might have missed this from the first post:
Elisas_001 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm 3) Because it's the literal language of the literal god and the first of everything, it can actually be a little bit more logical/artificial sounding rather than messy and inconsistent (at least in my head)
This lang seems very much like my own "divine proto-lang", in particular that there was nothing before it, i.e. it is an a priori conlang within the context of the setting, it is not a natlang with a parent. I don't see why such a lang wouldn't be highly (even totally) regular or why it's affixes should come "from a word that gets accreted to another word".
I can’t speak for Xwtek, but I didn’t see that — thanks for pointing it out! In that case, it does make sense for this language to be much more logical and/or more precise than any human language.

Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Nila_MadhaVa wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Ah, so, thats why. It's excusable, then.