Two hours southwards

Natural languages and linguistics
alice

Two hours southwards

Post by alice »

It's interesting to read about languages which, instead of using relative terms like "left", "right", "forwards", "backwards" instead use absolute terms like points of the compass. Do any of these languages combine this with the TIME IS SPACE metaphor?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Pabappa

Re: Two hours southwards

Post by Pabappa »

It would be difficult to distinguish from a literal interpretation... e.g. at first I thought this thread was about you taking a vacation to the tropics. Even in a premodern era one could still speak of traveling on foot, on horseback, etc in a cardinal direction.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

In English, if distance is being measured in travel time, directions will be cardinal.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pmIn English, if distance is being measured in travel time, directions will be cardinal.
Except when crows are involved.
dhok

Post by dhok »

I think a more interesting question is whether there are languages that combine TIME IS SPACE distance-measurement with relative directions--e.g. "That hunting-ground is three hours left of here."

(Are there any languages that don't use time to measure distance at all? I presume it must have been a less widespread metaphor before the invention of the railroad or at least the stagecoach, since delays were more common and unpredictable.)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I can't seem to think of an example in Malayalam of time being used to measure distance.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm In English, if distance is being measured in travel time, directions will be cardinal.
"It's four hours that way" (pointing).

I'm actually failing to come up with a direction expression that works with "It's four miles _____" but not with "It's four hours _____." (But I can be crappy with examples.)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

As a partial answer to what I think is alice's question, time runs from east to west in Kuuk Thaayorre.
alice

Post by alice »

zompist wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:33 am As a partial answer to what I think is alice's question, time runs from east to west in Kuuk Thaayorre.
That's the idea, where you express relative time with reference to an absolute set of directions.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

It's not really the same thing, but there's a curious feature of Gaelic that the words for north and south, tuath and deas, can also mean left and right respectively, as if you're facing east. As deas is a cognate of dexter, right is presumably the original meaning.