Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
Xwtek

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by Xwtek »

jal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:37 am
Akangka wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 amIs Indonesian language pronounciation included? I used to pronounce manga as [man.ga]. It turns out that it's pronounced [maŋ.ɡa], the same as mangga.
The funny thing being that in most European languages, /n.g/ becomes [ŋ.ɡ], so [maŋ.ɡa] is the automatic option for most of us. Cool to hear from another language.
It's actually hypercorrection. To make it sound "Japanese", I pronounced it as man-ga. Indonesia doesn't really have [n.g]. The closest thing Indonesia have is either [n.k] or [ŋ.g]. However, it's mostly more because of lack of words. The phonotactics of Indonesian (at least for my tongue) is pretty tolerant of disharmonious nasal + stop, except for [ntʃ] and [ndʒ]
Also I pronounced <m> and <n> as /m/ and /n/ regardless what it follows except <nk> and <ng> in a single word in English.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Akangka wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:52 pm It's actually hypercorrection. To make it sound "Japanese", I pronounced it as man-ga. Indonesia doesn't really have [n.g]. The closest thing Indonesia have is either [n.k] or [ŋ.g]. However, it's mostly more because of lack of words. The phonotactics of Indonesian (at least for my tongue) is pretty tolerant of disharmonious nasal + stop, except for [ntʃ] and [ndʒ]
Also I pronounced <m> and <n> as /m/ and /n/ regardless what it follows except <nk> and <ng> in a single word in English.
It is akin to English Bei/ʒ/ing where the expected Anglicization Bei/dʒ/ing is actually closer to the native pronunciation.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

...Wait, what? Chaise is not a homophone of chase?
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

StrangerCoug wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 pm ...Wait, what? Chaise is not a homophone of chase?
In American English it's usually pronounced like chase; I usually prefer the French pronunciation personally.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am
StrangerCoug wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 pm ...Wait, what? Chaise is not a homophone of chase?
In American English it's usually pronounced like chase; I usually prefer the French pronunciation personally.
Is it? IME, most people say /ʃeɪz/. Both the AHD and the MW agree. (I generally say /ʃɛz/.)
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:08 pm
Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am
Is it? IME, most people say /ʃeɪz/. Both the AHD and the MW agree. (I generally say /ʃɛz/.)
That's interesting. I've always heard people pronounce chaise longue like "chase lounge"; I've noticed because it drives me crazy, like people who write "rouge" when they mean "rogue." :P
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:08 pm
Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am In American English it's usually pronounced like chase; I usually prefer the French pronunciation personally.
That's interesting. I've always heard people pronounce chaise longue like "chase lounge"; I've noticed because it drives me crazy, like people who write "rouge" when they mean "rogue." :P
I thought those were usually called lounge chairs.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vijay wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 pm I thought those were usually called lounge chairs.
Same here.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 pmI thought those were usually called lounge chairs.
To me, these are different things. What I think of as a "lounge chair", Wikipedia calls a sunlounger. A chaise is something altogether more sofa-like
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:23 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 pmI thought those were usually called lounge chairs.
To me, these are different things. What I think of as a "lounge chair", Wikipedia calls a sunlounger. A chaise is something altogether more sofa-like
This.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:13 pm
This.
I did not know that the two had separate terms.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 pm
Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:13 pm
This.
I did not know that the two had separate terms.
I have occasionally heard a lounge chair called a "chaise," but usually I've heard the term reserved for the sofa-like chaise.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:28 pm I have occasionally heard a lounge chair called a "chaise," but usually I've heard the term reserved for the sofa-like chaise.
I am personally not familiar with the terms chaise or chaise longue.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

I’m not sure I really had to unlearn it, since I never assumed it was correct, but I used to silently-in-my-head “say”
“You-be-QUITE-us” for “ubiquitous”, before I had ever heard it.

Others: “kly-TOR-is” (you can probably guess why I hadn’t heard that one out loud),
“chol-MON-de-Ley” instead of “CHUM-ly”,
and others it’s taking me too long to remember.

[edit]: Oh! Place names! There’s bunches!
(Naive pronunciation instead of correct pronunciation):
“Saint Mary Axe” instead of “Simmery Axe”;
“Port Huron” instead of “Porch Yearn”,
“Baltimore Maryland” instead of “Balmer Merlin”
“New Orleans” instead of “Nawlins”
[/edit]
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

TomHChappell wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:14 pm “Baltimore Maryland” instead of “Balmer Merlin”
YM “Bawdimer, Marilyn”.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

I had to unlearn the pronunciation for either pidgin or pigeon. They're both either [pɪdʒɪn] (British) or [pɪdʒən] (US). I used to pronounce the former as the [pɪdʒɪn] and the latter as [pɪdʒən]. Since I align more to US English (despite Indonesian usually align more to British), I'll use the latter.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Honestly, if you used both in front of me, I don't think I'd notice the difference.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Xwtek wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am I had to unlearn the pronunciation for either pidgin or pigeon. They're both either [pɪdʒɪn] (British) or [pɪdʒən] (US). I used to pronounce the former as the [pɪdʒɪn] and the latter as [pɪdʒən]. Since I align more to US English (despite Indonesian usually align more to British), I'll use the latter.
I'm a native speaker of BrE and have schwa (or possibly syllabic [n]) in the second syllable of pigeon. The first dictionary I checked (Chambers) shows both pronunciations with the one with schwa first. So no correction necessary!
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

anteallach wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:25 pm
Xwtek wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am I had to unlearn the pronunciation for either pidgin or pigeon. They're both either [pɪdʒɪn] (British) or [pɪdʒən] (US). I used to pronounce the former as the [pɪdʒɪn] and the latter as [pɪdʒən]. Since I align more to US English (despite Indonesian usually align more to British), I'll use the latter.
I'm a native speaker of BrE and have schwa (or possibly syllabic [n]) in the second syllable of pigeon. The first dictionary I checked (Chambers) shows both pronunciations with the one with schwa first. So no correction necessary!
I agree - I have /@/ in 'pigeon' and /I/ in 'pidgin'. However, my father I know has /I/ in 'pigeon', and I think that's not too uncommon.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I am a native NAE-speaker and I have [ɘ] (which is how I pronounce stressed /ɪ/) in both. Mind you I have the weak vowel merger, with [ɘ ə] being allophones in unstressed syllables.