48 hour conlang challenge

Conworlds and conlangs
dewrad

48 hour conlang challenge

Post by dewrad »

I’m going to be honest: my current project is kinda boring me. I’ve been working on religion, calendars and astronomy (on the one hand, it is amazingly satisfying to know which of your invented planets is the most luminous in the sky; but on the other hand it is a pain in the proverbial to determine how that impacts on everything else) - and I am coming against a wall.

I can’t be the only one like this.

For those of you who are in the same boat, I propose a challenge. Drop whatever you are doing and create something new: in 48 hours time after reading this post, come up with a totally new language. Perhaps just a naming language that you can use for your main project, perhaps something totally distinct. Maybe it’s a “full” language, maybe it’s just dicking around with an idea: have a go and what can you create?

By 23:15 on Friday 11th May, I pledge to have a reasonable response to this post. Would you like to join me?
Kuchigakatai

Re: 48 hour conlang challenge

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Yeah, okay, let's see what I can come up with, by 15:32 on Friday 10th in my case.
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Wed May 08, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

By 6:35 on May 10th, we’ll see what I’ve got...
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
dewrad

Post by dewrad »

Clearly, I have an issue with mathematics (this is the major reason why the whole "designing a whole astrological system from scratch" thing is genuinely killing me): by "Friday 11th", I obviously mean "Friday 10th".
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

dewrad wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 pm Clearly, I have an issue with mathematics (this is the major reason why the whole "designing a whole astrological system from scratch" thing is genuinely killing me): by "Friday 11th", I obviously mean "Friday 10th".
Might I offer to help? Two heads are better than one, and I've been working on astrological systems for a while now...
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Ok, 6:00pm on 5/10 it is. This is a great idea by the way.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

For me it's 9:21am 5/11.

Love doing this sort of thing. I'll adopt my usual rule that I'm not allowed to look anything up, because otherwise I won't get anything done on an actual language.
Solarius

Post by Solarius »

Ooh, a good idea indeed. It's due on 9:36 on 5/10 then.
kodé

Post by kodé »

OMG this is just what the doctor ordered. Saturday 5/11 by 8:56 pm.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

For me it is 8:34 pm 11 May 2019.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

I'm terribly sorry to ask for this, dewrad, but I've been in the hospital for a bit and was wondering if I might get an extension of 24 hours on the challenge?
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

21:41:00 UTC 2019/05/11 for me! I had a sudden inspiration.
Yaa unák thual na !
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Guys, why are you calling the threads for your conlangs "scratchpads"? The original idea behind scratchpads was to have a scratchpad per user to put multiple sketches in, likely of unrelated constructed languages...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ser wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm Guys, why are you calling the threads for your conlangs "scratchpads"? The original idea behind scratchpads was to have a scratchpad per user to put multiple sketches in, likely of unrelated constructed languages...
Probably because I did not have a scratch pad on here, and was creating one because I wanted one for working on my language for this.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
dewrad

Post by dewrad »

Pedant wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:53 am I'm terribly sorry to ask for this, dewrad, but I've been in the hospital for a bit and was wondering if I might get an extension of 24 hours on the challenge?
To be honest, you don't really need to ask me! It's not a deadline I've set for you, but a suggestion that you might like to set a deadline for yourself and ultimately you're in charge of that :)

(Besides, it would be churlish of me to say no: due to a family emergency I've been on the road for most of the day and am nowhere near finished myself! If I can give myself an extension, I'm sure you can.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

7:03 PM on Sunday, May 12 for me.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Ser wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm Guys, why are you calling the threads for your conlangs "scratchpads"? The original idea behind scratchpads was to have a scratchpad per user to put multiple sketches in, likely of unrelated constructed languages...
Ah, I've had the wrong idea myself. (But maybe I could do with one of those!)
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

...ah. Really? Honestly that I didn’t know. What would be a better word to use, then?
Spell Merchant | Patreon
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

"Thread"