The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Natural languages and linguistics
Tropylium

Re: The Great Proto-Indo-European Thread's Sequel

Post by Tropylium »

Anthony Yates recently argues that the reason *χ ≤ *h₂ was geminated but *s wasn't is that *s was unspecified for voice, while *χ contrasted with *ʁ ≤ *h₃. I suppose this could be taken to imply that there was an (allophonic) change *-s- > *-z- before the voice-to-gemination shift he defends.

(new notation coined: "*x ≤ *y" for "either *x = *y or *x < *y")

*h₂ = *q is maybe still possible (esp. given correspondences of the type PIE *h₂ ~ Uralic *k, or for that matter PIE *h₂ ~ Afrasian *x (I suspect because of reasons that Proto-Semitic *x *ɣ *ħ *ʕ do not come intact from Proto-Afrasian, but rather from PAA *q *ɢ *χ *ʁ)). I would however take this hypothesis to go with a reanalysis of the IE family tree as {{Core IE, Hittite}, Luwic} rather than {Core IE, {Hittite, Luwic}}.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Tropylium wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm Anthony Yates recently argues that the reason *χ ≤ *h₂ was geminated but *s wasn't is that *s was unspecified for voice, while *χ contrasted with *ʁ ≤ *h₃. I suppose this could be taken to imply that there was an (allophonic) change *-s- > *-z- before the voice-to-gemination shift he defends.

This requires that *h3 was a voiced counterpart of *h2, while it looks more as if the difference was one of labialization. (And don't get me started with Kath's "*h2w" as an entity distinct from *h3, which I still consider entirely fictitious.)
*h₂ = *q is maybe still possible (esp. given correspondences of the type PIE *h₂ ~ Uralic *k, or for that matter PIE *h₂ ~ Afrasian *x (I suspect because of reasons that Proto-Semitic *x *ɣ *ħ *ʕ do not come intact from Proto-Afrasian, but rather from PAA *q *ɢ *χ *ʁ)). I would however take this hypothesis to go with a reanalysis of the IE family tree as {{Core IE, Hittite}, Luwic} rather than {Core IE, {Hittite, Luwic}}.
1. I see no reason to assume a relationship between IE and Afrasian. These language families look utterly different and seem to have utterly different origins, and the only motivation to connect them to each other was 19th-century typology ("both are inflected"), which is simply obsolete: there are plenty more "inflected", i.e. fusional languages which only lunatics would connect to IE or Afrasian (e.g., in the Americas), and the inflectional systems of IE and Afrasian are so completely different that no connection can be drawn between them.

2. The proposal that Hittite was more closely related to Core IE than to Luwian is a very bold one. Why do you think that way?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:03 pm Think about how English speakers tend to pronounce a name like Bach as [bæk].
Actually, we pronounce Bach like /bɑːk/, to nitpick.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I think he meant loans, not genetics. Though few words with laryngeals are thought to be loans.
jal

Post by jal »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:03 pmfor instance, they didn't take part in the root structure constraints that govern the distribution of stops
Isn't this a bit circular reasoning though? There could just well be two classes of stops, one having a constraint, the other not.

Note that I, like I said, have no knowledge of PIE other than the bits I pick up here, so this is not an attempt to dismiss or approve anything, just pointing out what could be faulty reasoning :).

JAL
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

It's ad-hoc to posit a second unconstrained class of stops, given that it would contain only the laryngeals.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Pabappa wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm I think he meant loans, not genetics. Though few words with laryngeals are thought to be loans.
Fair. Indeed, I think there are quite a few Neolithic Wanderwörter in both IE and Semitic. I don't know, though, how many of those include laryngeals.
My conlang pages
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

KathTheDragon wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:14 am It's ad-hoc to posit a second unconstrained class of stops, given that it would contain only the laryngeals.
Yes, while the laryngeals appear to be in a class of their own (*s behaves very differently, but sibilants often behave differently than other fricatives), it is very ad-hoc to declare this class to be stops. That's just circular reasoning. So far, the (difficult and somewhat ambiguous) evidence from Lycian notwithstanding, we have no really compelling reason to assume that the laryngeals were stops in either Early PIE or Late PIE.
My conlang pages
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 pm
Tropylium wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm Anthony Yates recently argues that the reason *χ ≤ *h₂ was geminated but *s wasn't is that *s was unspecified for voice, while *χ contrasted with *ʁ ≤ *h₃. I suppose this could be taken to imply that there was an (allophonic) change *-s- > *-z- before the voice-to-gemination shift he defends.

This requires that *h3 was a voiced counterpart of *h2, while it looks more as if the difference was one of labialization. (And don't get me started with Kath's "*h2w" as an entity distinct from *h3, which I still consider entirely fictitious.)
We can continue debating this for PIE, but I gather everyone agrees that Hittite had four laryngeals /χ χʷ ʁ ʁʷ/ ‹ḫḫ ḫḫu ḫ ḫu› (though with the voice contrast only medially), with the voiced ones often derived from *h₃. People like Melchert take this as the Proto-Anatolian state too, with the introduction of labialized laryngeals from *H+w as a defining Anatolian innovation. Kloekhorst would change these to PAn *qː *qːʷ *q *qʷ and shuffles the development of *h₃ somewhat but does not get rid of the four-way contrast either.

— Another possible reconstruction that could be entertained is *kʰ for *h₂, which might work better with his "Achaean" argument (5.3 §) (but it would also raises questions about whatever happened to other voiceless aspirates, & about what to do with *h₃; perhaps *kʷʰ??).
2. The proposal that Hittite was more closely related to Core IE than to Luwian is a very bold one. Why do you think that way?
There are already known areally shared innovations across Anatolian (e.g. stop gemination, stressed vowel lengthening, a tendency for vowel system simplification), plus really not that many Proto-Anatolian innovations, including a few that I think can be archaisms rather than innovations (*h₂ʷ, most issues of vocabulary). I suspect no-one has so far considered this idea seriously enough. For another Core IE = Hittite ≠ Luwic isogloss, there's the merger of *eh₁ into *ē (and in Luwic rather *ē *eh₁ > *ī *ā).

Of course this runs into some problems due to the k/h₂ isogloss being not even Luwic/Rest but rather Carian–Lycian/Rest.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am
Pabappa wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm I think he meant loans, not genetics. Though few words with laryngeals are thought to be loans.
Fair. Indeed, I think there are quite a few Neolithic Wanderwörter in both IE and Semitic. I don't know, though, how many of those include laryngeals.
Bomhard has the following examples for *χ ~ *h₂ (note how almost all of them have poor distribution across AA):
PS √lχp-, √lχp-, √lχm- 'to beat' (~ Berber, Cushitic) ~ PIE *lah₂w- 'to beat'
PS √šχn- 'to be warm' ~ PIE *sh₂wen- 'sun'
PS √χlkʼ- 'to wear down' ~ PIE *h₂al- 'to grind'
PS √χnb- 'to grow' ~ PIE *h₂andʰ- 'to bloom'
PS √χtʼtʼ- 'to carve' ~ PIE *h₂ad- 'to cut'
PS √χlʕ- 'to pull out' ~ PIE *h₂wel- 'to pull'
Arabic √χṭb- 'to preach', √χṭl- 'to prattle' (analyzed as extensions of *χtʼ-) ~ PIE *h₂wedH- 'to speak'
Egyptian ḫnt 'face' ~ PIE *h₂ant- 'front, etc.'
(also Egyptian ḫm 'to be wild' ~ PIE *h₂nēr 'man', bridged by supposed Dravidian cognates meaning 'male animal', but I really would not buy this)

Though for sure they could also be later than any possible *q > *χ shifts in Semitic. I'd also have to check if any of these rather have the newly proposed *x̣ (which gives West Semitic *ħ ~ East Semitic *x) which to me seems the most likely to have been a stop *qʼ or affricate *qχʼ the longest.

There's just one example for *ʁ ~ *h₃: PS √ʁrb- 'to abandon' ~ PIE *h₃orbʰos 'orphan'. This little could be coincidence too for sure.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Pabappa wrote:Do we really know if it was geminate? Could the hittites have been sloppy spellers, like us, where "egg" has 2 g's,"bee" & "be" rhyme, etc? They used double letters for voiceless single stops elsewhere, right?
This made me think of sloppy spelling as in common inaccurate spellings. What if they have infected the Hittite corpus?

Also, much of those "sloppy spellings" actually have sound etymological reasons - egg is a borrowing from Old Norse, which had phonemic gemination. English "bee" and some forms of "be" had already merged in pronunciation and spelling back in Old English, where they were "bēo". The invention of different spelling was probably not a mistake but a purposeful and useful invention.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

mèþru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 pm The invention of different spelling was probably not a mistake but a purposeful and useful invention.
Yes, function words need at least three letters even when the pronunciation alone doesn't demand it - bee, egg, eye, axe, tie...
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Nortaneous wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:35 pm
mèþru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 pm The invention of different spelling was probably not a mistake but a purposeful and useful invention.
Yes, function words need at least three letters even when the pronunciation alone doesn't demand it - bee, egg, eye, axe, tie...
In the US, "ax" is also an acceptable spelling of the noun, so... :P
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

In Latin, all the correlative pronouns for motion-towards look like ablatives. Does anyone know how that came about? Are these, somehow, maybe remnants of the Indo-European instrumental?

I'm talking about quō 'where to?', aliquō/quōquam/quōpiam 'to some place', eō 'to there', eōdem 'to the same place', quōquō/quōcumque 'no matter where [you go] to', aliō 'to somewhere else'.
vegfarandi

Post by vegfarandi »

Tropylium wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 am
WeepingElf wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am
Bomhard has the following examples for *χ ~ *h₂ (note how almost all of them have poor distribution across AA):
PS √lχp-, √lχp-, √lχm- 'to beat' (~ Berber, Cushitic) ~ PIE *lah₂w- 'to beat'
PS √šχn- 'to be warm' ~ PIE *sh₂wen- 'sun'
PS √χlkʼ- 'to wear down' ~ PIE *h₂al- 'to grind'
PS √χnb- 'to grow' ~ PIE *h₂andʰ- 'to bloom'
PS √χtʼtʼ- 'to carve' ~ PIE *h₂ad- 'to cut'
PS √χlʕ- 'to pull out' ~ PIE *h₂wel- 'to pull'
Arabic √χṭb- 'to preach', √χṭl- 'to prattle' (analyzed as extensions of *χtʼ-) ~ PIE *h₂wedH- 'to speak'
Egyptian ḫnt 'face' ~ PIE *h₂ant- 'front, etc.'
(also Egyptian ḫm 'to be wild' ~ PIE *h₂nēr 'man', bridged by supposed Dravidian cognates meaning 'male animal', but I really would not buy this)

Though for sure they could also be later than any possible *q > *χ shifts in Semitic. I'd also have to check if any of these rather have the newly proposed *x̣ (which gives West Semitic *ħ ~ East Semitic *x) which to me seems the most likely to have been a stop *qʼ or affricate *qχʼ the longest.

There's just one example for *ʁ ~ *h₃: PS √ʁrb- 'to abandon' ~ PIE *h₃orbʰos 'orphan'. This little could be coincidence too for sure.
What does the √ signify?
Duriac Threadhe/him
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

root.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Do anyone has free resource of PIE morphology? I only found two book. One is Late PIE. And the others concerns more of culture than morphology
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Ser wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:28 pm In Latin, all the correlative pronouns for motion-towards look like ablatives. Does anyone know how that came about? Are these, somehow, maybe remnants of the Indo-European instrumental?

I'm talking about quō 'where to?', aliquō/quōquam/quōpiam 'to some place', eō 'to there', eōdem 'to the same place', quōquō/quōcumque 'no matter where [you go] to', aliō 'to somewhere else'.
Are you sure they aren't datives?
My conlang pages
Howl

Post by Howl »

Ser wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:28 pm In Latin, all the correlative pronouns for motion-towards look like ablatives. Does anyone know how that came about? Are these, somehow, maybe remnants of the Indo-European instrumental?

It is a remnant of an old allative case ('where to'?) in -o which has been attested in Hittite ( ne-e-pi-ša 'to heaven' ).
Akangka wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:36 pm Do anyone has free resource of PIE morphology? I only found two book. One is Late PIE. And the others concerns more of culture than morphology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Ind ... n_language is a very good starting point. See also the list of subtopics at the bottom there.