Ergativity for Novices

Natural languages and linguistics
bradrn

Ergativity for Novices

Post by bradrn »

For my most recent conlang, I decided to use an ergative morphosyntactic alignment. Naturally, I began to research how ergativity works — only to find that there are very few overviews of ergativity available online, and those that do exist aren’t terribly detailed. Furthermore, since I started reading published books and articles about ergativity a week or two ago, I have realised that there are many important details which are not covered in existing tutorials. Due to this, I have decided to write my own overview of ergativity, which aims to be much more detailed than existing tutorials, while being short enough to avoid qualifying as ‘book-length’. My inspiration here is Whimemsz’s excellent Polysynthesis for Novices thread on the old board (currently broken, but here’s an archived version); this overview will probably end up being a bit longer than that, but my aim is much the same.

I would welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, corrections or additions from anyone reading this, if they have any!

Contents:
What is ergativity?
Morphological ergativity: case-marking, agreement and word order
Split ergativity — Part 1
Split ergativity — Part 2
Split ergativity — Part 3
Syntactic ergativity
Diachronics of ergativity

Sources:
My main sources were the following:
  • R. M. W. Dixon, 1994. Ergativity — An excellent resource covering just about every aspect of ergativity, and my main source for this thread. I highly recommend reading this book for anyone who is interested in ergativity beyond what I can cover in this thread. I will refer back to this book a lot; in future posts, I will refer to it simply as ‘Dixon’.
  • William B. McGregor, 2009. Typology of Ergativity — This article has often been recommended on this forum, but I see it as more of a quick review of the subject than as a tutorial suitable for learning from. Still, it contains descriptions of some phenomena which Dixon does not mention. Similarly to the previous source, I will refer to this one as ‘McGregor’.
Any other sources will be cited when they are used.
Last edited by bradrn on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
jal

Re: Ergativity for Novices

Post by jal »

Also:
Ergativity occurence (e.g. present nom-acc, past erg-abs)
The possible origins of ergativity
Split ergativity (active-stative): fluid-S vs. static-S (and verb vs. argument marking)

JAL
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

jal wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:22 am Also:
Ergativity occurence (e.g. present nom-acc, past erg-abs)
The possible origins of ergativity
Split ergativity (active-stative): fluid-S vs. static-S (and verb vs. argument marking)
I plan to cover all of these! The first and third will be part of the chapter on split ergativity; the second will have a whole chapter devoted to it (well, half a chapter to be precise; the other half will be on turning accusative systems into ergative ones).

jal

Post by jal »

bradrn wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 amI plan to cover all of these!
Cool! Eager to read it :).

JAL
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

I’m also interested in this thread :) playing with alignment is always fun.

Can I recommend this article?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Nerulent wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 am I’m also interested in this thread :) playing with alignment is always fun.
I’m glad you’re interested! I agree that playing with alignment is great fun: I’ve always enjoyed it, although I never had the tools to do it to any great extent until I started looking into ergativity more seriously a couple of weeks ago.
Can I recommend this article?
Thanks for the recommendation — I think this must be one of the most fascinating articles on linguistics I’ve ever read! In particular, those are fascinating examples that DeLancey gives; I’ll have to find some place in this thread to include them. Plus, by casting doubt on ‘ergativity’ as a useful concept, it’s highly relevant to the whole motivation for this thread. After rereading it several times, I believe DeLancey’s main conclusions are:
  1. ‘Ergativity’ is invalid as a unitary, useful concept: although there are many languages in which S=O are treated the same and A is treated differently, they manifest this ‘ergativity’ differently enough that the concept of ergativity is not ‘an interesting or typologically/theoretically useful one’. (e.g. pure ergativity, split ergativity, active-stative and optional ergative marking are all different enough that it is not useful to combine them under the one label of ‘ergativity’.)
  2. Furthermore, even in languages which clearly have an ‘ergative case’ — that is, a case used primarily or only for A arguments — this case often has many additional semantic roles in addition to simply marking the noun. Moreover, the exact semantics of this ‘ergative’ vary greatly between languages, meaning that it is not typologically useful to group together all noun markers which have been called ‘ergative’ as being representative of a single concept.
  3. S, A and O, while certainly useful at a descriptive level across many languages (i.e. they are useful as as ‘etic’, or descriptive, properties), nowhere behave as a natural class in individual languages (i.e. they are not useful as ‘emic’ properties).
And my responses to these claims are:
  1. Outside the marking of verbal arguments, I agree that ergativity has no typological meaning: indeed, in his book on this subject (cited above), Dixon makes a point of going through just about every major typological variable and showing that none are affected significantly by whether the language in question is nominative-accusative or ergative-absolutive. But this does not take away from the fact that there are many phenomena which display ‘ergativity’ in the sense that they equate S=O and distinguish A, and moreover these phenomena very often co-occur with each other. Additionally, many of these ergative phenomena share similar underlying ideas of volition, control and animacy. I would say that this indicates that there is some sort of merit in combining them under the one name ‘ergativity’, even if they do superficially display a wide variety of differences.
  2. In support of this assertion, DeLancey provides examples from Lhasa Tibetan and Sahaptin, in which the so-called ‘ergative’ markers do have more of a semantic or pragmatic role than a purely syntactic role. But this ignores the large number of languages which do in fact have a purely syntactic ergative case which is consistently used only for A: such languages include very many Australian languages, Northwestern Causasian languages, Basque, Indic languages, and probably others as well. So it is clear that there certainly exists some sort of unitary ergative marker, even if there are many languages in which this marker takes on additional roles as well as (or even mostly instead of) its fundamental role as an A-marker.
  3. I think this is actually a very insightful and important point: although we cannot doubt the existence of S, A and O as useful descriptive properties when comparing different morphosyntactic alignments across multiple languages, these ‘primitive’ relations are not actually reflected in any way in the majority of individual languages. But this point is actually irrelevant for this thread: the whole point of this thread is to give an overview of many different ‘ergative’ alignment systems from a descriptive point of view, which is exactly the point of view where S, A and O become useful.
Or to summarise: (1) Ergativity is not as useful as a unitary typological property as some people think, but it is still useful in that it designates a collection of fairly similar morphosyntactic and semantic systems with shared characteristics; (2) Contrary to the article’s conclusions, there does exist a purely syntactical ‘ergative’ case, attested across many languages, even if some languages have extended it to have a mainly semantic or pragmatic role; (3) This is a very important point which should be acknowledged more, but it is not relevant to this thread.

(Gosh, I suppose now I have to include all this stuff as well in my tutorial on ergativity… It’s lucky I haven’t released anything yet, so can rewrite things as needed!)

(As for progress: the first chapter is now probably around 3/4 finished; I don’t have any more time to work on it tonight, but I hope to release it tomorrow. It should be out the day after at latest if it takes a bit more time to finish than I expect.)

jal

Post by jal »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:50 amthere does exist a purely syntactical ‘ergative’ case, attested across many languages, even if some languages have extended it to have a mainly semantic or pragmatic role
Or, might it be the other way around, that certain pragmatic markers have been co-opted to indicate syntactic ergativity?

JAL
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

What I'd love to know is what merit there is if any to call the labile verbs of English (break, boil, open...) "ergative" verbs.

I notice some verbs may even be labile or non-labile:
- The door opened while making a creaky sound.
- (in chess) She opens with e4.
... although the non-labile use may be limited to some competitive activities like chess.
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jal

Post by jal »

Ser wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am... although the non-labile may be limited to some competitive activities like chess.
According to the Wikipedia page on labile verbs, "cool" is a labile verb too, and I think it's pretty normal to say "I'll cook tonight"? Or does English require an object there ("I'll cook dinner tonight")? Anyway, I think that volition/animacy might play a role here.

JAL
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

I've seen "ergative" used that way, Ser, for example of classical Chinese. Some people criticise it, but it seems to be reasonably well established, and it's hard to see it being confusing. (It's less confusing than "unergative" anyway; in a split-S language, it's the unergative verbs that get ergative subjects, of course.)

branrn, one caution about the Dixon book. It's treatment of syntactic ergativity is really skewed by his focus on conjunctions ("Sam kissed Frodo and left" and so on), which is a peripheral phenominon---restrictions on relative clauses and things like that are a lot more common. (Apologies if I've said this too many times before, it's a bit of a hobby horse of mine.)

I love "The Blue Bird of Ergativity."

I'll add recommendations of Polinsky, Syntactic ergativity, and Baker and Bobalijk, On inherent and dependent theories of ergative case. They're both handbook-level syntactic discussions, the first might give you a better sense of the sorts of syntactic phenomena that sometimes go along with morphological ergativity, the other defending an interesting way of thinking about ergative (and accusative) case.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

jal wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 am
Ser wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am... although the non-labile may be limited to some competitive activities like chess.
According to the Wikipedia page on labile verbs, "cool" is a labile verb too, and I think it's pretty normal to say "I'll cook tonight"? Or does English require an object there
It does not. (See also the idiomatic expression "Now you're cooking (with gas)!")
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

jal wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am
bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:50 amthere does exist a purely syntactical ‘ergative’ case, attested across many languages, even if some languages have extended it to have a mainly semantic or pragmatic role
Or, might it be the other way around, that certain pragmatic markers have been co-opted to indicate syntactic ergativity?
I doubt it: McGregor (cited in first post) has a discussion on the origins of ergative case-markers, and states that the most important sources are other case-markers (particularly ablative or instrumental), demonstratives and pronouns. Still, even if a diachronic source is a pragmatic marker, this has little (if any) relevance synchronically.
Ser wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am What I'd love to know is what merit there is if any to call the labile verbs of English (break, boil, open...) "ergative" verbs.

I notice some verbs may even be labile or non-labile:
- The door opened while making a creaky sound.
- (in chess) She opens with e4).
... although the non-labile may be limited to some competitive activities like chess.
I don’t see anything wrong per se with calling these verbs ‘ergative’, but I think it’s a separate phenomenon to morphological ergativity, since it’s very common to have ambitransitive verbs with S=O in otherwise 100% nominative-accusative languages. (For this reason I prefer the term unaccusative, which makes it clear it’s a separate phenomenon.)
akam chinjir wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:23 am branrn, one caution about the Dixon book. It's treatment of syntactic ergativity is really skewed by his focus on conjunctions ("Sam kissed Frodo and left" and so on), which is a peripheral phenominon---restrictions on relative clauses and things like that are a lot more common. (Apologies if I've said this too many times before, it's a bit of a hobby horse of mine.)
Thanks for the warning! I did think it was a bit odd how one phenomenon with coordination was elevated to a status on par with morphological ergativity, while e.g. the many fascinating and common phenomena involved in split ergativity have been demoted to merely subcases of a single ‘split ergative’ concept.

(Also, N.B.: If you’ve already read Dixon, you may find this thread a bit less useful, since that covers the same content I want to cover but in a more detailed fashion: this thread is mainly aimed at people who know little to nothing about ergativity but want to learn about all the little details involved in it.)
I love "The Blue Bird of Ergativity."
I must say I do as well. Although I don’t totally agree with all its conclusions (see my response a couple of posts ago), I do think that it has an important cautionary message, in that well-established linguistic terms may not necessarily be as useful as people think they are. (e.g. I’d very much like to get rid of ‘participle’, ‘infinitive’, ‘adverb’ — ‘adverb’ in particular I think is a ‘blue-bird-category’ like DeLancey talks about, which would be why I consistently get confused by it.)
I'll add recommendations of Polinsky, Syntactic ergativity, and Baker and Bobalijk, On inherent and dependent theories of ergative case. They're both handbook-level syntactic discussions, the first might give you a better sense of the sorts of syntactic phenomena that sometimes go along with morphological ergativity, the other defending an interesting way of thinking about ergative (and accusative) case.
Thanks for the recommendations! Although I can’t access the second one, the Polinsky article was pretty interesting: their main point appears to be that syntactic ergativity includes restrictions on relativisation and restrictions on control (whatever that is) as well as coreferential deletion. This sounds interesting, but they do most of their discussion using Minimalism, which I don’t know well at all (and don’t believe in in any case), so I can’t really understand anything beyond that. However, I did find a paper by Kazenin (SciHub link) which looks a bit more useful, so I’ll try reading that instead.

Estav

Post by Estav »

I'd be interested in learning more about interactions between ergativity and verb valence. A lot of descriptions that I've read imply that it is usual in languages with morphological ergativity to be able to use a verb ambitransitively, with the absolutive-marked subject of the intransitive usage corresponding semantically to the absolutive-marked object of the transitive usage. (This in turn seems to be connected to the idea that no ergative language has a true passive voice, as argued in chapter 8 of "Ergativity in Tongan", by Yuko Otsuka, 2000.) But that doesn't seem to be logically necessitated by the existence of ergativity: alternative strategies like having different lexemes for transitive and intransitive uses are conceivable, so I'm curious if verbs exhibiting that kind of ambitransitivity are in fact found in all languages with ergative alignment.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Estav wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:37 pm I'd be interested in learning more about interactions between ergativity and verb valence. A lot of descriptions that I've read imply that it is usual in languages with morphological ergativity to be able to use a verb ambitransitively, with the absolutive-marked subject of the intransitive usage corresponding semantically to the absolutive-marked object of the transitive usage. … But that doesn't seem to be logically necessitated by the existence of ergativity: alternative strategies like having different lexemes for transitive and intransitive uses are conceivable, so I'm curious if verbs exhibiting that kind of ambitransitivity are in fact found in all languages with ergative alignment.
Surprisingly, no! Dixon finds that ergativity has little to no correlation with the number or type of ambitransitive verbs. Some ergative languages have mostly rigidly transitive and intransitive verbs; some do have many ambitransitive verbs where the ergative argument can be omitted (in the same way that e.g. English has many verbs where the accusative argument can be omitted) — but neither is particularly characteristic of ergative languages in particular.

(I do address this topic briefly in my first post, which I have actually just almost finished and was about to release now. But I think now I’ll add a bit more content about ambitransitive verbs before I submit it.)
(This in turn seems to be connected to the idea that no ergative language has a true passive voice, as argued in chapter 8 of "Ergativity in Tongan", by Yuko Otsuka, 2000.)
This is wrong as well: passive voices are certainly found in ergative languages, although not at the frequency in which they are found in transitive languages. For instance, Mayan languages, which are known for their considerable ergativity, typically have at least one passive and antipassive, and often more with different semantic meanings: for instance, Mam has ‘an antipassive and at least four varieties of passive’ (Dixon).

Estav

Post by Estav »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 pm Some ergative languages have mostly rigidly transitive and intransitive verbs; some do have many ambitransitive verbs where the ergative argument can be omitted (in the same way that e.g. English has many verbs where the accusative argument can be omitted) — but neither is particularly characteristic of ergative languages in particular.

(I do address this topic briefly in my first post, which I have actually just almost finished and was about to release now. But I think now I’ll add a bit more content about ambitransitive verbs before I submit it.)
Thanks, I look forward to it!
(This in turn seems to be connected to the idea that no ergative language has a true passive voice, as argued in chapter 8 of "Ergativity in Tongan", by Yuko Otsuka, 2000.)
This is wrong as well: passive voices are certainly found in ergative languages, although not at the frequency in which they are found in transitive languages. For instance, Mayan languages, which are known for their considerable ergativity, typically have at least one passive and antipassive, and often more with different semantic meanings: for instance, Mam has ‘an antipassive and at least four varieties of passive’ (Dixon).
My phrasing "true passive voice" was probably badly worded. The existence of multiple varieties of "passive" constructions doesn't seem to contradict Otsuka's position: in fact, it might indirectly support it, if each of these varieties has some nuance that makes it not a straightforward equivalent to the single passive voices found in certain nominative-accusative languages. What Otsuka says is
We will propose that there are two kinds of passive: syntactic and lexical. We will argue that although syntactic passive and ergative case system are mutually exclusive, lexical passive can exist in an ergative language. In §8.2, we will show that our hypothesis is borne out by
reviewing various studies on passive constructions in ergative languages. In §8.3, we will consider five constructions in Tongan that are often interpreted as passive when translated into English. It will be shown that none of them involve syntactic passivisation. Instead, we will argue that Tongan uses other means, including the lexical passive, to reflect semantic/pragmatic factors that would be expressed by
syntactic passivisation in a language that has a syntactic passive construction. Our conclusion is that syntactic passive and ergative case marking are mutually exclusive. (page 214)
However, I haven't read enough of this source to understand the technical analysis of what this distinction means.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Estav wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm
My phrasing "true passive voice" was probably badly worded. The existence of multiple varieties of "passive" constructions doesn't seem to contradict Otsuka's position: in fact, it might indirectly support it, if each of these varieties has some nuance that makes it not a straightforward equivalent to the single passive voices found in certain nominative-accusative languages. What Otsuka says is
We will propose that there are two kinds of passive: syntactic and lexical. We will argue that although syntactic passive and ergative case system are mutually exclusive, lexical passive can exist in an ergative language. In §8.2, we will show that our hypothesis is borne out by
reviewing various studies on passive constructions in ergative languages. In §8.3, we will consider five constructions in Tongan that are often interpreted as passive when translated into English. It will be shown that none of them involve syntactic passivisation. Instead, we will argue that Tongan uses other means, including the lexical passive, to reflect semantic/pragmatic factors that would be expressed by
syntactic passivisation in a language that has a syntactic passive construction. Our conclusion is that syntactic passive and ergative case marking are mutually exclusive. (page 214)
However, I haven't read enough of this source to understand the technical analysis of what this distinction means.
Having now read (or at least skimmed) through the linked article, I am certainly willing to admit that the ‘passive’ in ergative languages could be different from the ‘passive’ in non-ergative languages (although I lack the appropriate theoretical background to understand Otsuka’s argument to any great extent). However, the difference seems so subtle to me that I don’t see any point in distinguishing between the two types of passive.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

(Note: This chapter is intended as an overview of ergativity for those who know little to nothing about it, so it may be a bit boring if you are already aware of the fundamentals — but I would still recommend that you at least skim through the chapter below, since I do cover some concepts which are not often mentioned in discussions of this subject. Hopefully the next chapter will be more interesting! Also, I’m not entirely confident how clear the descriptions below are, so please tell me if something I’ve written seems unclear, or if you have any questions!)

What is ergativity?

The universal grammatical relations

Let’s start with the basics. Recall that all languages contain two main types of clauses:
  • Intransitive clauses, which contain a verb plus one core argument (e.g. I laugh). Verbs which can occur in these clauses are also called intransitive verbs.
  • Transitive clauses, which contain a verb plus two core arguments (e.g. I see you). Verbs which can occur in these clauses are also called transitive verbs.
(Some languages also have ambitransitive or labile verbs, which can be used both transitively and intransitively; I will return to these later.)

Based on this, we can classify noun phrases in a sentence as being in one of three ‘primitive’ grammatical relations:
  • The sole argument of an intransitive verb, denoted S
  • The subject of a transitive verb, denoted A
  • The object of a transitive verb, denoted O
(Note that conventions differ for these abbreviations. The ones above are Dixon’s, and seem to be more standard, but in the ALC, zompist prefers using e, a, p. In this text I will use Dixon’s abbreviations.)

For instance, the noun phrases in the following sentences can be classified as:

I (S) laugh
I (A) see you (O)
I (S) go
I (A) go there (O)

These relations are almost always marked in some way: either through case-marking on the noun phrases, agreement markers on the verb, word order, or a combination of these. For instance, in English, A is the first argument, whereas O is the second argument. In a language like Latin, they would be determined by the fact that A is in the nominative case, while O is in the accusative case.

A, O and control

For a transitive verb with two arguments, one argument is mapped onto A, while the other is mapped to O. An important question about these is this: how, for a particular verb, can one determine which argument is A and which argument is O?

The answer has to do with the idea of control over an action. In the majority of languages (those with what Dixon calls ‘syntactic-based marking’), given a verb, the arguments which get mapped to A and O roles can be determined by looking at a prototypical usage of that verb. Generally, in that prototypical usage, one argument will have control over the action, while another argument will be most affected by that action. The former argument is called the agent and is assigned the A role, while the latter argument is the patient and is assigned the O role. For instance, with the word hit, a prototypical usage would be something like He hit me; in this prototypical sentence, the hitter he is in control of the action, while the ‘hittee’ me is most affected by the action. Thus, on the basis of this prototypical usage, the hitter is mapped to A role, while the hittee is mapped to O role. (English uses (mostly) word order to mark A and O, and so this is why the hitter comes before the verb while the hittee comes after it.) Note the use of the ‘prototypical’ meaning to determine A and O: even in a sentence like The falling branch hit me, where the branch is not really in control of the action, the branch is still mapped to A and I am mapped to O, based on the mappings determined from the prototypical sentence.

The important takeaway here is this: The A relation represents the argument which prototypically controls the event, while the O relation represents the argument which prototypically does not control the event. This is in fact an important statement about A and O, and will become very important later, when we look at split ergativity.

(Aside: The above procedure of using a prototypical sentence to find the agent and patient may seem a bit restrictive: in particular, many non-prototypical sentences do not have A as the agent and O as the patient — and what about verbs where there is no obvious agent or patient? This second problem in particular can be seen in English: I like the painting has I as A and the painting as O, but The painting pleases me does the opposite. There are several languages which solve this problem by using ‘semantically-based marking’: in these languages, nouns are marked for their semantic role in each individual sentence, rather than their semantic role in the prototypical sentence. For instance, the Tibeto-Burman language Manipuri has three nominal suffixes: (a) -nə, marking the controller of an action; (b) -bu, marking an animate affected by an action; (c) -də / -ŋondə, marking something indirectly involved in an action. These nominal suffixes apply at the level of individual sentences: Dixon gives the example I-nə touched Tomba-bu, with the implication that I am in control i.e. I did it intentionally, vs I-∅ touched Tomba-bu, with the implication that I am not in control i.e. I did it unintentionally. (This sort of duality in meaning will become very familiar later on, when we look at Fluid-S systems.) Languages with semantically-based marking are fascinating, but this topic is tangential to ergativity, so I will refrain from further discussion; for more information, refer to Dixon’s book, cited in the introductory post.)

Morphosyntactic alignment: tripartite, nominative-accusative, and ergative-absolutive languages

A quick recap: In the previous sections, we have established that the core arguments of verbs can be analysed in terms of three ‘primitive’ grammatical relations, these being the sole intransitive argument S, the transitive agent A, and the transitive patient O. I now want to focus on the way in which these relations are marked, called the morphosyntactic alignment of a language.

The ‘simplest’ morphosyntactic alignment is a tripartite alignment, where S, A and O are all marked differently. This is the approach taken by the Nez Perce language. Nez Perce has three noun cases: -∅ for S, -nim for A, and -ne for O. In an intransitive sentence, there is only one argument, marked with -∅; in a transitive sentence, there are two arguments, one with -nim and one with -ne.

However, this approach is quite redundant — if we see a core argument of an intransitive sentence, we automatically know that it must be in S role! So, if we merge the marking of S with A, or S with O, we can only get by with only two different types of marking without any ambiguity. This is the approach taken by the majority of the world’s languages.

If S is merged with A, the resulting alignment is called nominative-accusative. This alignment has two different ways of marking arguments: one is used for S and A, and the other is used for O. If a language has noun cases, the S/A case is called the nominative case, while the O case is called the accusative case. If it isn’t obvious, English is an example of a nominative-accusative language, as shown by its word order: S and A both go before the verb, while O goes after. Insofar as English has noun cases, they are also nominative-accusative: the nominative pronouns I, us, he, she, they are used for S and A, while the accusative pronouns me, we, him, her, them are used for O.

Perhaps a clearer example of a nominative-accusative language is Latin. To borrow an example from Dixon:

domin-us
master-NOM
veni-t
come-3s

The master comes

domin-us
master-NOM
serv-um
slave-ACC
audi-t
hear-3s

The master hears the slave

serv-us
slave-NOM
veni-t
come-3s

The slave comes

Note how the nominative case (here -us) is used for the S argument of veni- ‘come’ and the A argument of audi- ‘hear’, while the accusative case (here -um) is used only for the O argument of audi-.

Alternatively, S can be merged with O instead of A. The resulting alignment is called ergative-absolutive. As with nominative-accusative alignment, there are two different ways of marking arguments, but in ergative-absolutive languages one is used for A, and the other is used for S and O. A noun case which covers only A is called ergative, while the noun case which marks S and O is called absolutive. An example of an ergative language is the Australian language Dyirbal; to take examples from Dixon again:

ŋuma-∅
father-ABS
banaga-nʸu
return-NONFUT

Father returned

ŋuma-∅
father-ABS
yabu-ŋgu
mother-ERG
bura-n
see-NONFUT

Mother saw father

yabu-∅
mother-ABS
banaga-nʸu
return-NONFUT

Mother returned

Note how the ergative case is used only for the A argument of banaga ‘return’, while the absolutive case is used for the S argument of banaga ‘return’ and the O argument of bura ‘see’.

(Note: Dyirbal also has ‘noun markers’ which agree with each noun in case and noun class, as well as indicating deixis. Dixon notes that in all the Dyirbal examples he gives, he has omitted the noun markers for clarity: the sentences above should really be bayi ŋuma banaga-nʸu, bayi ŋuma baŋgun yabu-ŋgu bura-n, balan yabu banaga-nʸu.)

A further example of an ergative phenomenon can be found in English, where some ambitransitive verbs like break equate S with O rather than with A: I break the window, but the window breaks. This phenomenon is common even in otherwise fully nominative-accusative languages, and has been called an unaccusative verb.

A third common possibility for alignment is split ergativity. In split ergative alignments, S is sometimes merged with A and sometimes with O: the language is ‘split’ between nominative-accusative and ergative-absolutive alignments. This often has a fundamentally semantic basis: when the S is more agentive, S=A is used, but when S is less agentive, S=O is used. (Recall the earlier discussion about how the A argument is prototypically ‘agentive’, i.e. in control of the action.) Split ergativity is very common, much more so than ‘normal’ ergativity: in fact, almost all so-called ‘ergative’ languages are actually split ergative. For instance, Dyirbal (mentioned above) is in fact split ergative rather than ergative: pronouns use nominative-accusative alignment, but other nouns use ergative-absolutive alignment. Split ergativity is an important topic and will be covered in its own section.

It may be helpful to see a diagram of the various alignments. Here’s one, from Wikipedia:

This diagram shows how nominative-accusative alignment equates S and A, whereas ergative-absolutive alignment equates S and O. Unfortunately the diagram doesn’t show split ergativity, but you could picture it as having S divided up between A and O.

Other alignments

I would be remiss if I didn’t quickly cover the other possible alignments mentioned in the diagram, as well as some other common ones:
  • Direct alignment makes no distinctions whatsoever between S, A and O. This alignment is understandably very rare, but it does occur as part of some more complex split ergative systems.
  • Transitive alignment equates A and O, while keeping S separate. You could say that it combines the worst parts of tripartite and direct alignment, by redundantly marking S separately while not distinguishing between A and O. According to zompist, Justin Rye has called this alignment Monster Raving Loony, and I don’t disagree. Transitive alignment is found only in the Iranian language Rushani, and is a product of the fact that Rushani is in the middle of a transition from ergative-absolutive to nominative-accusative alignment; this will be covered in a later chapter.
  • Austronesian (or Phillipine-type) alignment is an unusual type of alignment, found in many Austronesian languages, in which every verb takes a ‘trigger’ affix; this affix determines the case-marking of the verb’s arguments.
  • Direct-inverse alignment uses an ‘animacy hierarchy’ to infer the roles in which the arguments of a verb are. If the arguments take opposite roles to those expected, a special ‘inverse’ marker is added to the verb. This alignment will be discussed later in the section on split ergativity, along with the animacy hierarchy itself.
  • Semantically-based marking (covered earlier), in which each noun is marked for its semantic role rather than S/A/O status, could be considered a type of alignment. Refer to the discussion above for more details.
What is ergativity?

So now we have established what ergative-absolutive alignment is: it’s a method of marking arguments in which S and O are grouped together, and A is marked separately. Now, if that were all there is to the concept of ‘ergativity’, there wouldn’t be much need for a thread like this. However, it turns out that there are many more different ‘ergative’ phenomena which equate S=O and separate A:
  • Ergative case-marking, discussed above
  • Ergative verbal agreement, in which one set of affixes is used for S=O arguments and another is used for A arguments
  • Ergative word order, where S and O have the same location in a sentence but A does not (e.g. a language which is SVO in transitive clauses but VS in intransitive clauses)
  • The many varieties of split ergativity, where the split between ergative-absolutive and nominative-accusative depends variously on the volitionality of the verb, the nature of the individual arguments, the tense/aspect of the clause, main vs subordinate clauses, or a combination of the above
  • ‘Syntactic ergativity’, in which syntactic operations such as coordination and relativisation treat S and O the same and A differently
  • The antipassive, a voice which is the ‘opposite’ of passive and is often found in ergative languages
Now, one might reasonably wonder whether it is even sensible to lump all these disparate phenomena together, based only on the fact that they treat S=O differently from A. This is the position taken by Scott DeLancey in his article The Blue Bird of Ergativity, in which he argues that these phenomena, while interesting on their own merits, do not deserve to be combined into a single typological category of ‘ergativity’; such a classification, he argues, would be as useless as a group consisting of all blue birds. I would disagree with this: many of the phenomena above co-occur with each other with a frequency which would be unusual if they were separate phenomena (e.g. all languages with syntactic ergativity also show either ergative case-marking or ergative verbal agreement). Additionally, I aim to show in future posts that many of the phenomena above share a common semantic basis.

On the other hand, it is worth noting that the ‘ergativity’ of a language has little to no effect on any aspect of the language outside the list above: DIxon reports that ergativity has little correlation — if any — to whether a language has voice, a distinct class of adjectives, or a large number of ambitransitive/labile verbs; the only correlation he can find is that ergativity may be more common in dependent-marking languages.

(The mention of ambitransitive verbs is worth elaborating on. Some ambitransitive verbs have S=A, for instance I go there / I go; others have S=O, for instance I break it / It breaks. Despite the fact that the former verb appears ‘accusative’, whereas the later appears ‘ergative’, the number and type of ambitransitive verbs has no relation to whether a language is mainly accusative or ergative. For instance, Latin is accusative, whereas Dyirbal is ergative, but both have a nearly complete lack ambitransitive verbs; Fijian is not ergative, but almost all verbs in Fijian are ambitransitive, and there is a nearly equal split between S=A and S=O ambitransitive verbs, with only a slight bias (3%) towards S=A.)

The distribution of ergativity

Although not particularly relevant for conlanging, it can sometimes be useful to know where in the world ergative languages occur:
  • In Europe, almost all languages are nominative-accusative. The only exceptions are Basque, in western Europe, and the three Caucasian families (Northwest Caucasian, Northeastern Caucasian/Nakh-Dagestanian, South Caucasian/Kartvelian) of northeastern Europe.
  • Africa is remarkably devoid of ergative languages, but ergativity has been found in several Western Nilotic languages (spoken in southern Sudan), most notably Päri.
  • In Asia, many Tibeto-Burman languages are ergative, and so are many Indic and Iranian languages. So is the language isolate Burushaski. Another cluster of ergative languages can be found in the ancient Middle East: Sumerian, Hurrian, Urartian, Hattic, Elamite and the Anatolian languages all show ergative characteristics. Some Siberian families, namely Chukotko-Kamchatkan and Yukaghir, are also ergative.
  • Many Austronesian languages show some ergativity, particularly the Polynesian languages Tongan and Samoan. In Māori the passive voice is apparently used so often that it can appear ergative in some ways, although at the moment it is still very much a nominative-accusative language. Apparently the Tamanic subgroup (on Borneo) and the South Sulawesi subgroup also display some ergativity. Many Phillipine and Formosan languages, while not ergative, show an unusual ‘Austronesian’ morphosyntactic alignment (see above). Acehnese has a form of active-stative split ergativity known as ‘Fluid-S’.
  • The greatest concentration of ergative languages is probably in Australia: the great majority of Australian languages show some ergative characteristics, and many have highly ergative grammars. Of particular note is the Dyirbal language, spoken south-west of Cairns (in north-eastern Queensland); we will be seeing a lot more of Dyirbal later, as it is a pretty much perfect example of a highly ergative language. Several Papuan languages, including Enga, Hua, Yimas, Yawa, Koiari, Kaluli, Ku Wara and Kanum, show ‘superficial’ ergative features.
  • North America has few highly ergative languages, the main exception being the Eskimo-Aleut family. Tsimshian has also been reported to be ergative. Nez Perce is not ergative but has an unusual ‘tripartite’ alignment (see above); its sibling language Sahaptin has a slightly more complex system. Many North American languages have a form of split ergativity known as active-stative alignment, the usual examples being Lakota and Eastern Pomo; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active%E2 ... _languages for a fuller list.
  • In Central America, many Mayan languages are highly ergative; Mayan languages often show many interesting features related to ergativity. The Mixe-Zoque family also shows ergativity.
  • Many South American language families, including Jê, Arawak, Tupí-Guaraní, Panoan, Tacanan, Chibchan, Maku and Carib, show complex split ergative systems. The isolates Trumai and Jabuti also show ergative features.
One interesting thing to note about this list is that ergativity is often more of an areal feature than a genetic one. For instance, one large cluster of ergative languages exists around the Himalayas, comprising Tibeto-Burman languages, some languages in the Iranian and Indic subgroups of Indo-European, and the isolate Burushaski; another obvious one is in the Caucasus, comprising the three Caucasian families.
Last edited by bradrn on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

As an ergativity geek, I'm enjoying this thread so far! :) I haven't seen the Blue Bird article yet, so I'm looking forward to reading through that. I do agree that ergativity shouldn't be though of as 1 unified property. Too often a language is described as "ergative" which leads to argument based on what that means, exactly, since different "ergative" languages manifest ergativity in different ways. Since I first found the McGregor article, I've found it very useful to divide ergativity into morphological, syntactic, and lexical levels. Those can be further divided, such as noun vs. verb marking morphology. It just really helps with the analysis & understanding of how a given language displays its ergativity.

The only suggestion I'd have so far is to add a section about "lexical ergativity", although that's really just a discussion of accusative, ergative, unaccusative, and unergative verbs.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am As an ergativity geek, I'm enjoying this thread so far! :) I haven't seen the Blue Bird article yet, so I'm looking forward to reading through that. I do agree that ergativity shouldn't be though of as 1 unified property. Too often a language is described as "ergative" which leads to argument based on what that means, exactly, since different "ergative" languages manifest ergativity in different ways. Since I first found the McGregor article, I've found it very useful to divide ergativity into morphological, syntactic, and lexical levels. Those can be further divided, such as noun vs. verb marking morphology. It just really helps with the analysis & understanding of how a given language displays its ergativity.
I can’t quite remember, but I actually think it was through one of your posts on the old board that I first heard about the McGregor article, so thanks for the recommendation! I agree it is very useful to separate out all the discrete phenomena involved in ergativity; not every language shows every ergative feature, and it’s probably better to say ‘this language has ergative case-marking, but no verbal agreement, and furthermore, displays accusative morphology with 1/2 person pronouns, but it doesn’t show any syntactic ergativity’ rather than quibbling over whether such a language is ‘ergative’ or not. This is actually one of the major aims of this tutorial: to describe pretty much all ‘ergative’ phenomena, while showing how their occurrences relate to each other (e.g. syntactic and morphological ergativity are separate, but a language can only show the former if it also shows the latter).

(Showing that ‘ergativity’ comprises a number of discrete, not-necessarily-related phenomena is actually a main point of that Blue Bird article. It gives two fascinating examples: one from Lhasa Tibetan, where the so-called ‘ergative’ case can be extended to cover S as well, and one from Sahaptin (really a tripartite rather than ergative language), where one of its two ‘ergative’ markers has a suspiciously similar distribution to a verbal prefix in Kuki-Chin. On the basis of examples such as these, DeLancey rejects the idea of ‘ergativity’ as a useful category, although I think that position is a bit extreme, given the fact that there are many ergative systems which do not display these difficulties.)
The only suggestion I'd have so far is to add a section about "lexical ergativity", although that's really just a discussion of accusative, ergative, unaccusative, and unergative verbs.
I’d love to add a section on that! But I don’t know anything about the area — do you have any articles you can link to on this subject?

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:13 pmI can’t quite remember, but I actually think it was through one of your posts on the old board that I first heard about the McGregor article, so thanks for the recommendation!
Most likely, yes. Finding that article & posting it is probably the most (only?) useful thing I've done on the ZBB. :lol: Glad you find it helpful!

bradrn wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:13 pm
Vardelm wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 amThe only suggestion I'd have so far is to add a section about "lexical ergativity", although that's really just a discussion of accusative, ergative, unaccusative, and unergative verbs.
I’d love to add a section on that! But I don’t know anything about the area — do you have any articles you can link to on this subject?
Just the McGregor article. :)

I might search a bit for more.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)