Atlantean Language by the Creator of the Klingon Language: Grammars, Dictionaries, New Translations, and Conlangs by Me

Conworlds and conlangs
Bob

Atlantean Language by the Creator of the Klingon Language: Grammars, Dictionaries, New Translations, and Conlangs by Me

Post by Bob »

Here's recent posts by me about Okrand Atlantean (sister language to Klingon) and other conlangs I'm working on.

I've gotten a few requests that I try to keep all my posts about a given conlang in a single thread. The other posts seem to be organized like this. So I'll try that after this.

Early 2020's Work on Movie and TV Famous Pakuni and Atlantean Conlangs
Wed Jun 03, 2020
Sun Jun 07, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=636

(Sorry! This thread has been moved! Please read why and follow the link. )
Wed Jun 03, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=630

This is the original version of the above, which I re-named and now regret.

Atlantean Language by the Creator of the Klingon Language: New Text with Links to Grammars and Dictionaries
Sun Jun 07, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=634

Disney's Atlantean, Sister Language to Klingon: Glossed Text #2018 2.22
Sun Jun 07, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=635

Updates on Work on Mark Okrand's Atlantean
Sun Jun 14, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=637

A Quick Grammar of the "Approximated Ancient Bantu Language Weds 5 6 2020"
Fri Jun 19, 2020
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=645

This is a Bantu and Niger-Congo conlang I made. I chose some medieval West African oral epic texts to translate into Atlantean and made this language to also translate them into. I'm actually working on this the last few days. I'm trying my best to spice it up but my memory of interesting language science things is not good. So I'll do what I can and try to accomplish this part of the project in a reasonable amount of time.

Then here's some pictures of Atlantis from the movie. It's supposed to be a mix of different ancient architectures. I think it ends up looking a lot like Ancient India, though. Everything about Atlantis in this movie is like that, too, even the language. It's also got a very Angkor Wat feel to it.

( I put them in the order that they occur in the film. )

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Here is the Text #2018 2.22 in the Atlantean Alphabet:

I think the alphabet is mostly based on Phoenician with some references to Elder Futhark Runes and a few other writing systems. ( I've also found that most science fiction invented alphabets are based on Phoenician, even Klingon. Apparently everyone thinks that's a great idea, independent of one another. Major dictionaries and encyclopedias have featured images of the Phoenician alphabet going back to at least the mid-1800s, so far as I've seen. I'm a language scientist specializing in the study of writing systems, however, so I find this quite obnoxious. But I'm otherwise a fan of the Atlantean alphabet and how it was used in the film. )

( Not to ruin the mood, but while I found this language very interesting back in 2006 when I deciphered it, I have since become quite fluent in Latin and familiar with many Indo-European languages and Proto-Indo-European. And I mostly study non-Indo-European languages and non-alphabetic even logographic writing systems. So generally the last 5 or 10 years, I've found the language obnoxious and only work on it a couple times a year for 5 hours. It's amazing that this year the movie's script writer posted draft scripts to the facebook group Empireposting, I read them, and I've spent more time working on the language that I ever have, or at least than I have in probably 13 years. It has interesting and rare subordinate clause and relative clause order, and postpositions are neat, but it's that Latin-like verb and all the words based on PIE that make my eyes glaze over. But that Empireposting group has 20,000 members as of recently, so I've gotten into the language a bit to make a show of science and that I deciphered it.

Otherwise, though, I seem to be the most skilled person who's into the language in the world, 15 years running now, though Titus, Bruce Irving, and Cesar Maidana have made big contributions in the last couple years. And there's been big contributions over the years from others whose names I have written somewhere hopefully. Of the whole team the last 5, 10 years, I'm like the mechanics and decipherment guy. I think a big part of this is that the movie did not do so well in the theaters, against 2001's Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie: Invented languages like Klingon and Na'vi feed off the popularity of their movies and tv shows. Despite Klingon's popularity, we get few of them come and join us to study Atlantean.

But I don't mind and myself have studied Klingon, Vulcan, and Mutsun, among many other invented languages from famous books, TV, and movies, just to make something of my success with Atlantean, BA Linguistics, and place in the world as a language scientist, albeit independent researcher. )

Here is a sample text in the Atlantean alphabet and Atlantean language from the movie. This is after the underwater mural scene:

Last edited by Bob on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob

Re: Atlantean Language by the Creator of the Klingon Language: Grammars, Dictionaries, New Translations, and Conlangs by

Post by Bob »

This reply is based on an album I recently made for the "Okrand Atlantean Language" facebook group. You must be a member to see it. Everyone is welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 528&type=3

ALL MAJOR WRITTEN ATLANTEAN SCENES IN MOVIE AND VIKING PROLOGUE
( These are also all major written Atlantean texts in the entire corpus. By which I mean Atlantean written in its "fictional native spelling system". )

There are also minor written Atlantean scenes, all of which are listed and discussed in the 10 29 2010 Corpus.
https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... w=flipcard

These images are mostly from this website:
https://animationscreencaps.com/atlanti ... re-2001/19

I forget what I called these texts in the corpus, so I'll just give them ad hoc names for now.

For most of these texts, we have no official translations. I've asked Marc Okrand and the creative crew of the film and nobody can find the translations. @Gary Trousdale recently gave us some idea about which the underwater mural texts might have spoken.

MONSTER PAGE
CRYSTAL PAGE
This part is from the Viking Prologue found in The Collector's DVD. It's not in the movie.

SLIDESHOW PAGE
The rest of these scenes are from the movie.

VASE PAGE
HILL PAGE

SKULL PAGE

SPIRAL PAGE
HIVE PAGE

CITY PAGE
HAND PAGE
(FIRST OCCURENCE)

CITY PAGE
HAND PAGE
(SECOND OCCURENCE)

INSCRIPTION PAD TEXT

MURAL A

MURAL A

MURAL B

MURAL B

MURAL B

All pages are quite clearly visible in a special section of The Collector's DVD. The rest of the corpus is gathered in my 10 29 2010 Corpus which gives full citation to a number of books that came out with the movie.

CRYSTAL PAGE
( This one is also seen in the Viking Prologue. )

KathTheDragon

Re: Atlantean Language by the Creator of the Klingon Language: Grammars, Dictionaries, New Translations, and Conlangs by

Post by KathTheDragon »

There's nothing to comment on here conlanging-wise, so: why did you censor Milo and Kida in the underwater scenes?
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

I say, the image quality of those frames is quite good. Did someone already transcribe all the lines?
Yaa unák thual na !
Bob

Post by Bob »

Vilike wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:37 pm I say, the image quality of those frames is quite good. Did someone already transcribe all the lines?
Yes, it was me. Actually, this past week, the Okrand Atlantean Language facebook group had Cesar Maidana of Argentina make some better transcriptions than I was about to make in c 2007. Which is a major decipherment contribution. So I told him, thanked him, and said that I plan to re-purchase the Collector's DVD so I can try to re-do the transcriptions. His computer or whatever is clearer than mine was back in 2007. Which was something I was worried about, though I think it was quite the good computer.

It's not a big deal, though, just a few words for which we lack translations.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Here is some art of which the recent conlang post by KathTheDragon reminded me.

https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=654

This one is Hittite art.

But really I want medieval or ancient Georgian art because of all the affricates. I recently studied the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Ancient Languages' short reference grammar on "Early Georgian" (before Classical Georgian) and so it interests me. Western USA languages I have been studying this year and also know Mesoamerican languages to have ejective sets and also perhaps extensive affricate sets.

I decided on petroglyphs from Georgia. I love petroglyphs. They're understudied. People think they're not worthy of attention. But really people are just lazy and don't want to put in the necessary effort. Petroglyphs and myths have a lot of worthwhile things to teach. People are narrow-minded and like to throw tomatoes.

petroglyphs
პეტროგლიფები
p’et’roglipebi

https://angi.ge/trialetis-petroglifebi/
Last edited by Bob on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I'm sorry, I don't post much on the ZBB any more (the time I have for conlanging seems to get less and less), but I have to step in and ask... Who the hell, especially amongst linguists and anthropologists, thinks petroglyphs are "retarded". The most negative thing I've ever heard about them from people working and researching within those fields is that "they aren't writing", which is less negative and more, you know, true?

Yeah, maybe you've come across people who've called them "retarded", or you're choosing your word very poorly, but I suspect most people here, the people you're talking to right now, wouldn't take that view at all (then again, as other users have established, you don't seem to be able to switch between audiences, so, well...)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Okrand Atlantean and Bantu Conlang for West African historic "Epic of Son-Jara" Line 1818 Onward

I chose this text because it's especially gruesome and noteable. This is a historical oral epic from the 1960s in around Ghana. The protagonists are Muslim and this main antagonist, Sumamuru, described here, is presented as a Pagan sorcerer king of some sort. During my life, I have read extensively in anthropology and the anthropological details intrigue me.

The problem with anything from (the 1960s) is that it could also be based on rumors and folklore from Germany or the USA. But I doubt it. For a certain ancient and real-life example, consider iconographic discussion of the Mayan Hieroglyph SHIELD, read "pakal", I think.

Text B, Page D.

English:

Line 1818.
Sumamuru came amongsts us, His pants of human skin.
Sumamuru came amongst us,
His coat of human skin.
Sumamuru came amongst us,
His helm of human skin.
The first and ancient king,
The King of yesteryear.
So, respite does not end resolve. Sumamuru, I found you gone. Oh Glorious Janjon!

Bantu conlang:
( Here's a thread by me about this conlang.
https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=645 )

Sumamuru
a-li-ja
katikati.ya-tu,
suruali-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

Sumamuru
a-li-ja
katikati.ya-tu,
m=paku-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

Sumamuru
a-li-ja
katikati.ya-tu,
usukani-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

M=falne-a.kwanza na m=tu-a.kale,
m=falne m=bbidu-aa.

Meta, m=figo a-hawa-ssupa-a m=bigabiga.

Chiki! Janjon-tukufu!

Grammar notes:

a-, he-
VERB-a, him
NOUN-a, his
-tu, us
li-, did [Past Tense]
hawa-, not, [Negation]
-aa, -of
noun.class.marker=NOUN.ROOT
Doubled initial letter: This is imitation Swahili. All other words are used as specified in the Teach Yourself Swahili dictionary.

Okrand Atlantean:
( There's so many Atlantean conlangs and pseudo-conlangs, some inspired by this one, that I've been calling it Okrand Atlantean after its creator, Marc Okrand, who also made Klingon and Vulcan. )
( This follows English word order more in order to make it easier for me to translate. I might eventually make a translation that follows Atlantean word and clause order perfectly but it would be a lot of hassle. )

NARTAK-WER SALDUP-IMOT GWISIT MIB,
[BERAK] TUGIN IPIHOK-AG TAROB-EN-AG.

[BUROK] TUGIN IPIHOK-AG TAROB-EN-AG.

[GAMAL] TUGIN IPIHOK-AG TAROB-EN-AG.

MAKIT DINLAG GIM HEGMIL,
MAKIT YANUT-LOSH-AG.

BAT, PIGOSH-IR KWAM BOSIL-IMOT NOSHIB-IR-TEM.

NARTAK-WER-TOP, KOMTIB-DIMIK MOHIT.

UM! MARTAK-WER MASHIG-MIL!

Grammar notes:

Nartak-wer, "Narwhal Man", a god name: like Hades.
-imot, he did [-PAST-3.SG ]
gwis, we
gwisit, us [ 1.SG.PRONOUN-ACCUSATIVE.NOUN.CASE ]
mib, among [ A POSTPOSITION ]
tug, he
tugin, his
-ag, of [ GENITIVE.NOUN.CASE ]
-en, things [ PLURAL ]

-lag, -th as in fourth [ ORDINAL.NUMERAL ]
gim, and
-mil, of [-ADJECTIVE-SINGULAR ]
-losh, like "yester-"

-ir, like "-tion"
kwam, not
-tem, him [ OBLIQUE.NOUN.CASE (like ACCUSATIVE AND DATIVE ) ]
-top, O ye [ VOCATIVE.NOUN.CASE ]
-imik, I did [-PAST.TENSE-1.SG ]
-dimik, I did the opposite of
-d- [ OPPOSITE OR CONTRARY ]
( I'm not sure about this one. )

"I found you gone" corresponds to
"find KOMTIB contrary D did IM i IK"

"Hand-crafted" words:
( These are new Okrand Atlantean words made by me in loose imitation of the original words and according to various methods which are further specified in an appendix made for recording such. I think I made these below by creatively blending various Indo-European words. So TAROB looks like the ANTHRO- of anthropology. These words might instead be from a 31 language dictionary I have and make reference to Japanese, Swahili, Finnish, and a few others in addition to modern major IE European languages. Though otherwise, I and Bruce Irving make new Atlantean words from a variety of ancient and historic attested and reconstructed languages. )

pants, berak
coat, burok
helm, gamal
human, tarob
skin, ipihok

Image: Mayan Hieroglyph for "shield", PAKAL.

Last edited by Bob on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob

Post by Bob »

[ This post deleted. ]
Last edited by Bob on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

And you wonder why nobody here seems to like you, when you pull stunts like this. Questioning a rather extreme assertion is not trying to silence you, hassle you, or shut you down. Seriously, this is utterly childish behaviour.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's some really nice modern art for the Old Mali Empire and Timbuktu that I found. It looks pretty accurate to me, for all I know or remember. Anyway, art.

https://ladylebz.wordpress.com/2017/02/ ... SSVw9Vtaiw
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

KathTheDragon wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 pm And you wonder why nobody here seems to like you, when you pull stunts like this. Questioning a rather extreme assertion is not trying to silence you, hassle you, or shut you down. Seriously, this is utterly childish behaviour.
I assume I missed a reply?
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Yeah, it was the post just above mine, which Bob has since removed the content of.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

KathTheDragon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm Yeah, it was the post just above mine, which Bob has since removed the content of.
Ah fair. Would have been nice to have seen what it was, but guessing from your response to it, it wasn't the best thing
Bob

Post by Bob »

I just finished the Bantu Conlang for this one. Here it is:

Text E, Page A.

The Epic of Son-Jara. Page 97. Line 2900.

Pretty words and truth are not the same. No matter how long the road, it always comes out at someone's home. The Nyani king with his army came forward, saying the Manden belonged to him,

Okrand Atlantean Conlang:
Palab-en hoges-mig gim marat kwam bushik-etoh. Shosh winyin-en liyak-ag, kwib-in meytor-etot beyan-tem pog-an--mil. Makit Rakuda-ag sundak-es tugin dodel-imot, basheb-e Adlantis-tem luwut-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ma=neno-zuri na kweli wa-hawa-ile. Barabara u=refu-ote-aa: A-sikuzote-a ku-maliza pa-kwetu m=tu-ingine-aa. NNyani m=falne naa jeshi-a wa-bele-ja, cchigi-sema MManden a-wa-a m=tu-ni-aa,

Text E, Page B.

saying no more was he rival to any, saying the Manden belonged to him. He found the Kuyate patriarch with tendons cut, and beckoned him to rise, Let us go! Bala Faseke Kuyate, arise. Let us go! He lurched forward, saying he would rise. He fell back to the ground again, his two Achilles tendons cut: O Nare Magan Konate! Arise and let us go!

Basheb-e kwam mashus-id-detot, basheb-e Adlantis-tem luwut-imot. Gamos-ir taslond-mil: Beyloh-ag Peyes-uses keyan-en sek-eshlimtoh, Gim tugit podab shilayb-imot, Toy-yoh! Bor-in sheyuh-imot, Basheb-e podeb-onot. Wan gem-tem shodib-imot, keyan-en-ya Ketak-ag sek-i: Bodim Adlantis Shewayk-top! Podab gim toy-yoh!

Ancient Africa Conlang:
CChigi-sema bbogi a-hawa-shindana-a m=tu-ote, a-li-wa m=tu-a-aa. A-li-vumbua KKuyate cchumvi wa-o-liw-kata ma=chuwi-a, na a-li-ita-a ku-inuka, Tu-enda-e! BBala FFaseke KKuyate, n-inuka. Tu-enda-e! A-bele-pepesuku, cchigi-sema a-ta-inuka. A-li-anguka kwa chini tena, vy=akukuamba-wili vy==kata: DDi Nnare Mmagan Kkonate! N-inuka na tu-enda-e!

Text E, Page C.

I have no rival in Mandenland now! The Manden is mine alone."

Bish-in mashus-id-dekih! Adlantis yom susol-ekik."

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ni-hawa-hesabu-a m=shindani-ji-ote mu-Mmanden-chi sasa! Ni-llakini-fanyiza Mmanden."

Text E done.

Bob

Post by Bob »

"The Epic of Son-Jara". Text F.

[ Something like the major enemy of the epic, the evil sorcerer king Sumamuru has been routed in battle and is about to be killed. ]

Text F. Page D. Page 96. Line 2862.
Sumamuru crossed the river at Kulu-Koro. And had his favored wife dismount. And gave her the ladle of gold, saying that he would drink, saying else the thirst would kill him. The favored wife took the ladle of gold and filled it up with water. And to Sumamuru stretched her hand and passed the water to him.

Okrand Atlantean (Mostly Proto-Indo-European) :
Nartak tesin-imot Gobish Hurok-tem bip. Gim tug-is dewan tugin nusim-id-eshimot. Gim tuh-ib sheyak-tem olab-ag pas-imot, basheb-e deg ush-onot, basheb-e Adleyk-ir moyshap-in sheyen-onot. Dewan sinog-imot sheyak-tem olab-ag gim ton-esh tok-it pel-imot. Gim Nartak-tem gom shayod tuh-in liten-imot gim tuh tug-ib ton-tem hegut-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang (Bantu Conlang) :
Ssumamuru a-li-vuka.kwa.miguu-a m=to pa==Kkulu-Kkoro. Na a-ish-to-panda.juu-a mmanamendigo-a. Na a-li-pa-a kata u=rangi.ya.manjano-aa, cchigi-sema amba-a a-li-ta-nywa, cchigi-sema ama.sivyo kiu a-ta-ua-a m=tu-a. Mmanamendigo a-li-inua kata u=rangi.ya.majano-aa na a-li-weka-a maji-jaza na kwa Ssumamuru m=kono-a a-li-nyosha-a na a-li-pa maji kwa-a.

Text F. Page E. Page 96.
Fa-Koli with his darts charged up.
"O Colossus, we have taken you!
We have taken you, Colossus!
We have taken you, Colossus!
We have taken you!

Okrand Atlantean:
Turtak adleyek-enesh tugin petol-imot.
"Teyeh-top, mohit behak-imkem!
Mohit behak-limkem, Teyeh-top!
Mohit behak-limkem, Teyeh-top!
Mohit behak-limkem!"

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ffa Kkoli naa wa-shale-dogo a-li-shambuliza ku==le,
Ddi Ookyira, tu-li-kamata-u!
Tu-li-kamata-u, Ookyira!
Tu-li-kamata-u!

Text F. Page F.
Tura Magan held him at bladepoint.
Sura, the Jawara patriarch held him at bladepoint.
Fa-Koli came up and held him at bladepoint.
Son-Jara held him at bladepoint.

Okrand Atlantean:
Ketak tugit shelap-imot keytum-eshtem pes.
Martag Peyes Martag-lant-ag tugit shelap-imot keytum-eshtem pes.
Turtak saldup-imot gim shelap-imot tugit keytum-eshtem pes.
Aktirak tugit shelap-imot keytum-tem pes.

Notes:
Ketak: "Flying Fish", like Horus, Mars.
Martag: "Crab", like Thoth, Hermes, Odin.
Martag-lant : Thoth-land.
Turtak: "Turtle", like Ptah, Zeus, Thor.
Aktirak: "Hammerhead Shark", like Ra, the Sun.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ttura Mmagan a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Ssura, Jjawara chumvi a-shika-a ffaa u-bapa-kingo.
Ffa-Kkoli a-li-ja ku==le na a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Sson-Jjara a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.

End of Text F.

Here's some songs to go along with this text:

Billy Joel- River of Dreams Lyrics, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OurgbLABks

Dead Man's Curve Jan and Dean with lyrics, 1957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCuMPeSu9s

Come Fly With Me (Remastered), 1957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gSFMQdGsc

Image: For an art theme, I'm using the medieval Benin bronzes from Western Africa.

"Benin Bronze Ceremonial Ladle, with handle featuring portraits of a man and woman, luck symbols of the mud fish, the two figures standing back to back on the half spherical bowl which has applied wave decoration to the edge and spiral to the bottom, 14" long, 3 1/4" wide bowl, encrusted. -Thomaston Auction"

https://www.pinterest.com.mx/pin/436567 ... login=true

You can find more Benin bronzes and such here, in an album on this group:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 845&type=3

Then here's a picture of the book that the English of this text is from. The Ancient African conlang is by me and then the Atlantean conlang is by the professor who made the Klingon Language, Marc Okrand.

Last edited by Bob on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Bob wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 pm … Ssumamuru a-li-vuka.kwa.miguu-a m=to pa==Kkulu-Kkoro. …
Quick question: I assume that a single dash means affixation, and an equals sign means cliticisation, but what does a double equals sign (e.g. as in ‘pa==Kkulu-Kkoro’) mean?

(Also, it would be nice to have glosses for at least some of the sentences here, to see how the other two languages differ from English.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Excerpt from The Epic of Son-Jara, translated into Okrand Atlantean.

[ Updates: Later on Fri 7 3 2020, I added the Ancient Africa Conlang aka Bantu Conlang for this one. ]

Text A, Page A.

Originally copied by hand Tues 5 5 2020.

Page 76.

Ah! My little brother, God has made you like the beehive. The eye of the enemy is on you. The hand of the enemy cannot touch you. Ah, my little brother, God has given you the bards and the smiths. Son-Jara, the Manden belongs to you!

Notes by me: Son-Jara: Hero of the Epic, Founder of the Old Mali Empire, c 1600s.

Manden: Old Mali Empire.

Okrand Atlantean:

Te! As-top tipim-mil kagin, mah neb mohit dol-shimot eshelen-tem. Okwep washod-ag mohit meg es-etot. Shayod washod-ag mohit tag bog-etot. Te! As-top tipim-mil kagin, mah neb mohib nuh-imot lilum-tem gim nelut. Aktirak-wer-top, Ad-top, Adlantis-tem tenos-letot!

Notes:
Aktirak-wer :
Hammerhead Shark Man, like the Ancient Egyptian god Ra.
Ad :
"The Heart of Atlantis", sentient sun-like Atlantean being.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Guta!
=Dugu-ni n=dogo, Mungu a-li-ish-fanana.na-u m=zinga.
Jichoma aduima-aa a-mazao-u.
M=kono aduima-aa a-hawa-hodari-u ki-banzi.
Guta, =dugu-ni n=dogo, Mungu a-li-toa-u mi=shairi na mi=hunzi.
Sson-Jara, Mmanden a-pita kwa-u!

Notes:

For the other texts, I look up almost every single word in the Swahili dictionary and use it exactly as-is. For Text A, I used a lot of Swahili words with vaguely related meanings to save time while looking up words and approximate historic meaning shift as I remember it from years for studying etymology. I might re-do Text A but probably won't. I decided to just use Swahili words so that I was getting more of a feel for Bantu languages.

Text A, Page B.

He went then and gave the pouch of gold to the Tunkara Patriarch, Prince Tunkara of Mema, saying they should cast the sigi. When Son-Jara returned from the bush ...

Okrand Atlantean:
Ab toy-imot gim
Nartak-wer Metad-tem Nartak-lant-ag deg
Peyes-tem Nartak-wer-ag
gom
sedig-tem hakek-ag nuh-imot.
Yer-en-tem serih-setoh bet reg-e.
Dos Aktirak-wer dulal-tem ga digad-imot

Ancient Africa Conlang:
A-li-enda ndipo na a-li-toa-a vyombo dhahabu-aa
kwa Cchumvi Ttunkara-aa,
Mw=ana-wa-mfalme Tunkara Mema-aa,
da-sema wa-wi-adhiri vi=kuku.
Son-Jara a-po-achana a-toka.kwa ny=ika

Notes:

"Mèma: The land where Son-Jara lives in exile from the Manden. In several particulars, Mèma resembles Medina, where the prophet Mohammed lived in exile while he prepard to overtake Mecca."
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jgr6/203/unit10 ... cters.html
Tunkara: This kingdom is apparently ruled by the Tunkara family.
cast the sigi: This is a trial by fire to determine if warriors are not related and so able to face eachother upon the battle field. Both grab metal bracelets out of a pot of burning potash and put them on.

Text A, Page C.

Since Son-Jara entered Mema, the eldest Tunkara daughter had loved him. Don't you know that person's name? Her name was Mema Sira.

Okrand Atlantean:
Sagah Aktirak-wer Nartak-lant-tem nageb-imot,
dateya madem-bey Nartak-wer-ag hipes-imot.
Anik-tem lud-ag deb kwam panneb-enen du?
Anik tuhin Nayap Nartak-lant-ag es-imot.

Notes:
Nayap: a long-nosed shark.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Tangu Sson-Jara a-ingia ku==Mema,
binti ote-mzee Tunkara-aa a-li-penda-a.
U-hawa-jua-a jina m=tu-le zzaidi?
Jina-a-ake a-li-wa Mmema Ssira.

Text A, Page D.

Note 2045.

The familiar African (Caribbean, South Asian) game of shifting tokens from one of the twelve or more holes to the next. Many variants of this game exist all over the world, and the game often goes by the generic name derived from Arabic "Mankala".

Okrand Atlantean:
Dashug mak
Men-mil, ( Kakos-mil, Deyabond-in Bom-mil, )
odedlush-tem gom
kiroyd-en-tem din yadil-ag as peleb ga
yed-en-ag meres-e.
Gipit-en tuler-mig dashug-ag neb
nesdum-tem gut
komtib-retoh.
Gim dashug nish-in pidat-etot
anik aropos-mil Makala
deg
Dig-tem Mipot-ag ga teton-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:

=Windo ma=cheua mase Nchi-Ssokoma, Nchi-Zzimwi.la.baharini, =Chi-Wwali n=sini, sema ki-hafifu-aa ma=dalili a-toka.kwa ma=shimoma moja wili-aa ama zaidi kwa m=fuata. Ma=mmbo-ingi ma=windo-aa huyu uukungu.mzito ulimwengu, na ma=windo a-ppole =na ji=kkimya a-liw-pengo a-toka.kwa Ki=arabu "Mankala".

Text A, Page E.

Note 16-17, Page 104.

Description of the land mass of the ancient empire of Mali. Sokoto is a city in the modern northern Nigera and was an important settlement in the 19th century Fulani theocratic empire in that region. Fatiyataligara is obscure but one assistant considered it the home of the Soninke in the present-day Mauritania.

Okrand Atlantean:
Kweb genal-ag indanat-ag metot-mil Titet-ag:
Yeren-lant-tem kaweb-mil hekan-mil net
Pelad wil es-etot.
Gim es-imot
ayam nilden-mil
soreg-ag 19 net
Mogat-lant indanat mareyg-mil tet-tem deb net.
Gerab-lant garen-uses es-imot.
Ad atons-os din
Gen-lant peruk-mil net nasap Melish luden-ag es-imot
bet kwesash-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
M=kkashifa u=sshaha-aa =lki-aa mi=cchaza Mmali-aa.
Ssokoto a-li-wa m=ji.mkubwa mu==N=chi-Kkikaango n=kaskazini n=mmaisha na a-li-wa =ffalme u=mmuhtasari
mu==@=lki mi=karne-tisa mi-kkuhani
mu==kionya-njia-le.
Faiyataligara a-ggiza.la.jioni ila =tu-eppesi m=hakika a-li-jjidai-a ny=umbani Soninke-aa mu==@=chi-Uppenu n=hhatari.

Text A Done.

Because the above text refers to the eldest daughter of a god like unto Hades:
Melinoë is the daughter of Hades and his wife. Her name notably looks like Meroë, the capital of Kush (Ancient Sudan). She's the top one, I can read this. This image probably reflects the Indo-European Paganisms concept of "sets of three gods". Not to imply anything, this is just a concept from Indo-European Paganisms. Mayan Hieroglyphic texts do the same thing, though 4 is the more common symbolic number in the New World.
"Bronze tablet (3rd century AD) from Pergamon invoking Melinoë along with Persephone and Leucophryne; the three goddesses pictured are labeled as Dione, Phoebe, and Nyche"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melino%C3%AB
Wiccans will get a kick out of this one because their beliefs include a trinity goddess or "triple goddess". Atlantis The Lost Empire makes quite a few references to Wiccan beliefs. ( I know a lot about different beliefs and ideas because I'm an anthropologist of comparative beliefs, a type of comparative relgiions scholar. I even specialize in comparative ancient and exotic mythologies. )
To which I added:
( Use my polyglot2 font to see the Atlantean while also seeing most other modern writing systems. )
Hades' wife, Narwhal Woman, here Phoebe
NARTAKGWEN

Hades' daughter, Long Nosed Shark Woman
NAYAPGWEN

Obscure Goddess, Night Woman
NOKGWEN

cf.
Hades, Pluto, Narwhal Man
NARTAKWER

The inscription reads counter-clockwise or widdershins with reference to the cosmogram I made for Atlantean and the rotation direction of the Stone Kings around The Heart of Atlantis.

[ Fri 7 3 2020: This is not using the regular Atlantean font but a font called polyglot2 which can be downloaded from my facebook group on the Okrand Atlantean Language, from the group files. ]
[ Fri 7 3 2020: I'm not sure why I doubled the K in NOKKGWEN. I think it's a typo. NOK "night" is from DUNOK "two-night" which is "bat", like Latin noctes. ]
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob

Post by Bob »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm
Quick question: I assume that a single dash means affixation, and an equals sign means cliticisation, but what does a double equals sign (e.g. as in ‘pa==Kkulu-Kkoro’) mean?

- : separates morphemes, generally
. : In the Swahili dictionary, some English words are glossed with multiple Swahili words. I combine these into one orthographic word and use . to keep the distinction between each Swahili word composing this new orthographic word.
= : I only use this to separate Noun.Class.Prefix=NOUN.ROOT . There's about 10 noun classes in Swahili. They change to indicate plural and change a bit sometimes if the Noun Root is VCV... vowel-initial.
== : Recently I started using this to mark three important preposition prefixes. I use them like locative prefixes but they also occur in Swahili word building. I might not be using them exactly as they're used in Swahili. Oh well. It's supposed to be like "Ancient Bantu" but without sound changes, to save me time and have a more rounded and useful product.

bradrn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm
(Also, it would be nice to have glosses for at least some of the sentences here, to see how the other two languages differ from English.)

Glosses: I hope to actually photograph all my notes, which include partial glosses and incomplete lists of glosses. Otherwise, it's too much to gloss and I might just include some key grammar notes. It's supposed to all be idiomatically distinct from English but that's a hard thing to do and I might not be able to pull it off all the time to a satisfying degree. I try but there's gaps in my knowledge. I do a great job and pour all kinds of learning into these conlang translations ... but my #1 specialty is logographic writing systems, so my grasp of language science and memory of all the languages I've studied ... is not so impressive taken by itself. You can't ask for too much, my head is almost exploding from all the hieroglyphs I know. ( There are 50 known logographic writing systems, although there's only 4 main families of them. )

There's a dictionary on this 20,000 member facebook group Atlantis: The Lost Empireposting, in the group's files.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3506644 ... 837434711/

Here's the far shorter dictionary of strictly canonical Atlantean, though words marked "unkown" are in the canon but actually mostly of unknown meaning.

However, many of the words in these texts were hand-crafted by me or Bruce Irving and aren't in that dictionary. They and their etymology are in my notes.

I'm typing all this up and putting it in these threads because I'm working on the project, have the time, and want to share what I'm doing.

The grammar to the languages and their most common morphemes are all listed either in the links given or in these two posts, one for Atlantean, the other for my Ancient Africa Conlang. I think a lot of the English words can be guessed at just by having reference to these common morphemes.

So in today's Text A Page D, "from one of twelve or more holes" can be guessed as "kiroyd-en-tem din yadil-ag as peleb ga" from canonical given words and common morphemes.
-en Noun.Plural
-tem Noun.Oblique
-ag Noun.Genitive
Postpositions and particles are often CVC or CV or VC.

"kiroyd-en-tem din yadil-ag as peleb ga"
[ hole-Plural-Oblique one twelve-Genitive or more from ]

So, wait for later. Otherwise, it takes up a lot of time just to type this stuff up. let alone glosses, which I'll leave for when I upload my hand-written notes.

If you want glossed texts by me, see my 1600s Massachusett Language Translations, not all of which are glossed.

https://anylanguageatall411.blogspot.co ... w=flipcard

For Atlantean, I glossed all of the two Bateman texts from 2018:

https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... w=flipcard

But I won't type out glosses because nobody cares and it takes too long. Nobody cares about 1600s Massachusett but it's actually the second most important historical Amerind or Indigenous New World language of all time. (Well, maybe somewhere between #2 and #5. It's #1 for the USA and Canada for sure.) And I'm one of 10 skilled scholars to ever do extensive work on the language. So I will eventually get all the texts online and glossed and deserve a lasting place in history, along with Jessie Baird who inspired me.

But Okrand Atlantean and this Ancient Africa Conlang? No. It's amazing I'm typing this stuff up, I'm really wasting my time. I should just photograph it all and start getting back to 1600s Massachusett and my specialty of logographic writing systems. I'm not sure what I would do next with that. I have a minor project working on Sumerian now and left off significant work on Mayan Hieroglyphic (which is #1 hands-down for North and South America).
Bob

Post by Bob »

Basic Okrand Atlantean language pantheon, in order of days of the week:

SUNDAY
Aktirak: Hammerhead Shark, like Ancient Egyptian Ra.

MONDAY
Beyloh: Manta Ray, like Ancient Egyptian Osiris.

TUESDAY
Ketak: Flying Fish, like Ancient Egyptian Horus.

WEDNESDAY
Martag: Crab, like Ancient Egyptian Thoth, Germanic Odin.

THURSDAY
Turtak: Turtle, like Ancient Egyptian Ptah, Ancient Greek Zeus, Germanic Thor.

FRIDAY
Kraken: Squid, like Ancient Egyptian Isis, Germanic Frigg.

SATURDAY
Nartak: Narwhal, like Ancient Egyptian Seth, Ancient Greek Hades.

Like some Ancient Egyptian pantheons, there's a god and goddess for each one:
Nartak-wer, "Narwhal Man": like Hades.
Nartak-gwen, "Narwhal Woman": like Hades' wife.

In my recent translations, I replace person and place names with derivatives of these god names with reference to many different mythologies that I've studied and can remember. But notably Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, and Kuna from Panama in Mesoamerica.

[ The idea that the Atlantean flying fish vehicles are named after and given the images of their gods is maybe implied in the movie and in the etymologies of Marc Okrand's names for these vehicles. Otherwise, it's an elaboration by me. It's very odd because usually aquatic animals are associated with evil in mythologies all over the world. Oh well, maybe they are associated with multiple animals. ... The 1800s Donnelley book notably said that the myths of the world reflect the actual deeds of the Atlantean ruling class. But if I followed that, what would the Atlantean myths be? ]