Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani OVS order)

Conworlds and conlangs
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Dwarven Verbal Number)

Post by Vardelm »

aporaporimos wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pmI think this set of aspect terms is fine... as long as you don't also use "episodic" to contrast with "gnomic" for verbs marked / not marked with a direction particle, since that seems to be an orthogonal distinction.
That's the quandary, here. "Episodic" works really well for these aspects, since it's referring to an "episode" of the state, action, or activity. Unfortunately, "episodic" is the exact term used for "not gnomic".

I just checked a thesaurus for "episode" and found "incident", so I could maybe use "incidental". That doesn't seem great.

"Gnomic" is a "general truth", so maybe I could change "episodic" there to "specific". Again, not great.

English needs more words, dammit! :lol:

EDIT: I'm toying with the idea of keeping "gnomic" vs. "episodic" and then using "durative" for the verbal number/aspect. I realize that's a term used to define activities & accomplishments, and not achievements & semelfactives. I found a comment on www.grammaticalfeatures.net about duratives:
grammaticalfeatures.net wrote:Punctual and durative - these refer to situations which are not conceived of as lasting in time (punctual), versus situations which are conceived of as lasting for a certain period of time, however short it may be (durative).
Since I'm allowing for a short burst of achievements/semelfactives (knocking several times), this might be about as good as I'll be able to find. Basically, define it as "a single duration of the event, however long that lasts".

Also perhaps:
  • "eventive" - a single event of whatever length
  • "singulative" - again, a single event of whatever length. This is a bit odd due to the noun number, but that's not used in this lang, so maybe...
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

Vardelm wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:11 pm
aporaporimos wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pmI think this set of aspect terms is fine... as long as you don't also use "episodic" to contrast with "gnomic" for verbs marked / not marked with a direction particle, since that seems to be an orthogonal distinction.
That's the quandary, here. "Episodic" works really well for these aspects, since it's referring to an "episode" of the state, action, or activity. Unfortunately, "episodic" is the exact term used for "not gnomic".

I just checked a thesaurus for "episode" and found "incident", so I could maybe use "incidental". That doesn't seem great.

"Gnomic" is a "general truth", so maybe I could change "episodic" there to "specific". Again, not great.

English needs more words, dammit! :lol:

EDIT: I'm toying with the idea of keeping "gnomic" vs. "episodic" and then using "durative" for the verbal number/aspect. I realize that's a term used to define activities & accomplishments, and not achievements & semelfactives. I found a comment on www.grammaticalfeatures.net about duratives:
grammaticalfeatures.net wrote:Punctual and durative - these refer to situations which are not conceived of as lasting in time (punctual), versus situations which are conceived of as lasting for a certain period of time, however short it may be (durative).
Since I'm allowing for a short burst of achievements/semelfactives (knocking several times), this might be about as good as I'll be able to find. Basically, define it as "a single duration of the event, however long that lasts".

Also perhaps:
  • "eventive" - a single event of whatever length
  • "singulative" - again, a single event of whatever length. This is a bit odd due to the noun number, but that's not used in this lang, so maybe...
"Specific" in contrast to gnomic seems fine, actually. It's not an inflectional category anyways, so it won't show up in glosses, tables, etc, meaning the name you pick isn't as important as the names for the inflectional categories.
ἀπόλεμος ὅδε γ' ὁ πόλεμος, ἄπορα πόριμος
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Vardelm wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:11 pm
Wouldn't that work as a perfective too, or at least as a completive? If so, you could just use one of these labels.

A similar distinction in Iroquoian languages is called coincident. The prefix co- is there because of a bunch of other uses irrelevant here, so let's drop it. I agree with you that incidental sounds a little clumsy, but I think incident would work quite well.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Ars Lande wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 pmWouldn't that work as a perfective too, or at least as a completive? If so, you could just use one of these labels.
Don't think so, because the verbs are neutral with regards to perfectivity. They can be used for perfective or imperfective meanings.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

I considered a lot of possible different labels for "episodic" last night, both for the verbal number aspect and the gnomic vs. episodic distinction. I decided to go with "durative". There was no "perfect" way of labeling everything, so I think this gets as close as possible and allows all of the labels to mostly retain their canonical uses. States, activities, & accomplishments are all naturally durative. Conceiving several semelfactives/ achievements in rapid succession to be 1 event allows that event to be viewed as durative. At the very least, "durative" implies the possibility of more time than "momentane" does.

Last night felt like one of those "Beautiful Mind" moments, where you have string connecting all different post cards on the wall, trying to make the tiniest connection that, in all reality, doesn't really matter. Conlanging is a crazy business. :lol:
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Dwarven Verbal Aspect)

Post by Vardelm »

Moving along....

Dwarven: Verbal Aspects

There are (so far) 4 aspectual particles. Technically, the "verbal numbers" are aspects, but they already are in different category with a different label, so it works.

Retrospective kæl
Cessative fjo
Inceptive chöna
Prospective myn

• Retrospective = "have verbed"
  • Cessative = "stop verbing"
  • Inceptive = "start verbing"
  • Prospective = "going to verb"

A table is worth a thousand words:

retrospective simple prospective
past he had walked earlier he walked earlier he was going to walk earlier
present he has walked he walks he is going to walk
future he will have walked later he will walk later he is going to walk later

Dwarven is an aspectual language and lacks grammatical tense. Temporal adjuncts and adverbs are used to indicate time. The retrospective (perfect) and prospective aspects could be analyzed as "relative" tense, as is typical of their use in other languages. They are relative to the time of the situation being discussed.

Despite being aspect-based, Dwarven lacks the perfective-imperfective distinction that is common. I think the translations would mostly be imperfective, unless context would call for a perfect for the translation. In Dwarven, one would use the simple (unmarked) form when describing an event. Think of "I walk to the park, and then I sit for a while, etc." The retrospective and prospective are then used as needed to place contextual information in relation to the event being discussed. Dwarven speakers would also use the retrospective when they need to indicate that an event has been completed. "Is he still writing the article? No, he had written that yesterday."

The labels "past" and "future" are just a time reference indicated by the presence or lack of a temporal adjunct or adverb. The "present" simply lacks such. Here I have just used "earlier" and "later" to act as a generic temporal word.

The "simple" aspect is just a lack of either retrospective or prospective aspect particle.

In translations so far, I have been using the present continuous/progressive to distinguish the episodic uses, as defined by the use of a directional particle. That probably works for the most part, but I think a simple present translation might work better most of the time since, at least for me, it's easier to think of the simple present as being neutral regarding perfectivity.

Since I haven't worked out more complex sentence sytnax yet, such as coordinating conjunctions, etc. etc., I'll just give some basic sentences to at least show the particles in place.

Vardelm qis æq fjunayd yñ y jastyr.
Vardelm
Vardelm
qis
upward
æq
CONTROL
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
ABS
y
DEF.SNG
jastyr
bread

"Vardelm bakes up the bread."

Vardelm kæl qis æq fjunayd yñ y jastyr.
Vardelm
Vardelm
kæl
RET
qis
upward
æq
CONTROL
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
ABS
y
DEF.SNG
jastyr
bread

"Vardelm has baked up the bread."

Vardelm myn qis æq fjunayd yñ y jastyr.
Vardelm
Vardelm
myn
PRO
qis
upward
æq
CONTROL
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
ABS
y
DEF.SNG
jastyr
bread

"Vardelm is going to bake up the bread."

Vardelm chöna qis æq fjunayd yñ y jastyr.
Vardelm
Vardelm
chöna
INC
qis
upward
æq
CONTROL
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
ABS
y
DEF.SNG
jastyr
bread

"Vardelm started to bake up the bread."

Vardelm fjo qis æq fjunayd yñ y jastyr.
Vardelm
Vardelm
fjo
CES
qis
upward
æq
CONTROL
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
ABS
y
DEF.SNG
jastyr
bread

"Vardelm stopped baking up the bread."
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

For today, I'm tossing up the little bit I have on pronouns since it's easy. I don't have anything yet on reflexive, interrogative, etc. pronouns, not even thoughts.

Dwarven: Personal Pronouns

Singular Plural
1st Person mi exclusive: mæn
inclusive: maðyn
2nd Person ðy ushæd
Proximal vja vyð
Medial davu davyn
Distal kjova kjovyn

Noteworthy notes:
  • 1st person plural has an exclusive vs. inclusive distinction.
  • 3rd person doesn't use "true" personal pronouns, but rather demonstratives with a proximal, medial, & distal distinction.
  • At least for now, pronouns will also use the same particles for case that nouns use. I'm considering having pronoun inflect for case, but with 14 cases that seems like overkill. Right now the language inflects only for number and I think I like that. On the other hand, maybe this is a chance for "inflected case markers" instead of the inflected prepositions of Gaelic languages.

mi tjar yñ uljegayd sæf vja ðjodaim.
mi
I
tjar
via
AFFECT
uljeg-ayd
read-SNG.DUR
sæf
at.PRO
vja
this.DET.PROX
ðjodaim
morning

"I am reading this morning."

ushæd ðaið mjedoil.
ushæd
you.PLR
ðaið
are.PLR.DUR
mjedoil
smart

"You (all) are smart."
  • Just thinking here quick that an iterative or habitual for ða "to be" might have some interesting uses. Maybe it's a sort of emphatic, like "wow, you're smart, and you actually demonstrate that over & over".

davyn glöq chæmið öch y filnjåd
davyn
those.MED.PLR
glöq
downhill
chæm-ið
walk-PLR.DUR
öch
toward.LAT
y
the.SNG
filnjåd
park

"Those (they) are walking downhill towards the park."

Finally, a bit of sappiness for your morning:

mi yñ gjovayd nyð ðy.
mi
I
AFFECT
gjov-ayd
love-SNG.DURI
nyð
with.INST
ðy
you.SNG

"I love you." (Surely stated by a young dwarf lass to her mining pick, not to some dwarf lad hoping to gain her affections.)
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven: Relative Clauses

There are 7 different relativizers, used in different types of relative clauses:

Relativizer Relativized element is:
sey subject of the relative clause
dja subject of the relative clause and the verb of that clause is ða "to be"
ma not the subject of the relative clause; is one of the adjuncts
hoi antecedent is 1st or 2nd person singular & relativized element is a genitival
hun antecedent is 1st or 2nd person plural & relativized element is a genitival
hæv antecedent is 3rd person (demonstrative) singular & relativized element is a genitival
hayn antecedent is 3rd person (demonstrative) plural & relativized element is a genitival

Relative clauses have 2 possible word orders. V2 is probably a bit more common, and V-final is not uncommon. For V-final, the "verb complement noun phrase) is counted as part of the verb phrase, but I list it here for clarity.

V2 order: Relativizer + (Subject noun phrase) + Verb phrase + (Verb complement noun phrase) + adjuncts

V-final order: Relativizer + (Subject noun phrase) + adjuncts + Verb phrase + (Verb complement noun phrase)

V2 is generally used with the subject of the main sentence or with the final adjunct of the main sentence since it would be at the end. V-final is most often used with adjunct noun phrases in the middle of the main sentence because the verb of the relative clause marks the end of the relative clause, allowing additional adjunct noun phrases to appear in the main sentence without confusion as to whether they are part of the relative clause. Context can provide clarity, of course, so the 2 orders can be freely interchanged.

Examples:

jastyr qis yñ fjunayd hu y qjuralg sey shyna e ny filnjåd fjorma chæmayd e ny ðjodaim.
jastyr
bread
qis
upward
AFFECT
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
hu
of.GEN
ny
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
sey
REL
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
filnjåd
park
fjorma
around.DIR
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
ðjodaim
morning

"The bread was being baked up (this morning) by the warrior that walked around in the park."

------------------------------

Ugh. Too much night left at the end of my mental endurance for today. Hopefully edit this to get some more examples up in the coming days.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

I'm rewriting the above post. As mentioned, I want to add a bit more info, but I also want to try a slightly different presentation format I've been thinking of. The format would strictly have either a chart or sample sentences, and then explain those with bullet points to follow. The idea is to keep things as brief as possible. I value brevity, but often barf out way more words than is needed (as can maybe be seen just from this "short" intro... :lol: ) So here we go.

Dwarven: Relative Clauses Redux

Relativizers
Relativizer In relative clause:
sey antecedant = subject
dja antecedant = subject, verb is ða "to be"
ma antecedant = adjunct
hoi 1st/2nd person singular antecedent, subject = genitival
hun 1st/2nd person plural antecedent, subject = genitival
hæv 3rd person (demonstrative) singular antecedent, subject = genitival
hayn 3rd person (demonstrative) plural antecedent, subject = genitival

Word Order

y ðalgöch hæv roqma ðayd mjurav ushin voi pjoða

y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
hæv
whose.REL.3P.SNG
roqma
brother
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
mjurav
dead
ushin
event.PREP
voi
from.ABL
pjoða
year

the miner whose brother has been dead for a year

y ðalgöch hæv roqma ushin voi pjoða ðayd mjurav
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
hæv
whose.REL.3P.SNG
roqma
brother
ushin
event.PREP
voi
from.ABL
pjoða
year
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
mjurav
dead

the miner whose brother has been dead for a year

• Word orders:
    • Verb-Adjunct (V-A): Relativizer + (Subject noun phrase) + Verb phrase + (Verb complement phrase) + adjuncts
    • Adjunct-Verb (A-V): Relativizer + (Subject noun phrase) + adjuncts + Verb phrase + (Verb complement phrase)
  • Occurence:
    • V-A is a bit more common than A-V
    • V-A used more for main clause subject or for adjuncts at end of main clause
    • A-V used more for adjuncts not at end of main clause
    • Orders can be interchanged since context can provide clarity

Examples per relativizer

y ðalgöch sey lom kürsayd lah y lumaich
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
sey
that
lom
in(to)
kürs-ayd
enter-DUR.SNG
lah
to.TER
y
the.SNG
lumaich
cave

the miner that entered the cave

y ðalgöch sey lah y lumaich lom kürsayd
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
sey
that
lah
to.TER
y
the.SNG
lumaich
cave
lom
in(to)
kürs-ayd
enter-DUR.SNG

the miner that entered the cave
  • Sey used since ðalgöch "miner" is the subject of lom kürsayd "enter into"

y ðalgöch dja ðayd mjurav
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
dja
that
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
mjurav
dead

the miner that is dead
  • Dja used because ðalgöch "miner" is the subject and the verb is ða "to be"

y ðalgöch ma ny lumaich lom lah kürsayd yñ vja
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
ma
that
ny
the.SNG
lumaich
cave
lom
in(to)
lah
to.TER
kürs-ayd
enter-DUR.SNG
ABS
vja
this(him).SNG

the miner that the cave was entered-into by him
  • Ma used because ðalgöch "miner" is referenced by vja "this/him" as an adjunct
  • Vja is a resumptive pronoun referring to ðalgöch "miner"
  • No A-V order is used because resumptive pronouns always appear in final position of relative clause

ðy hoi lauchið ðayd fysk e ny vjoña
ðy
you.SNG
hoi
whose.SNG
lauchið
home
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
fysk
near
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
vjoña
river

you whose home is near the river

ðy hoi lauchið ðayd fysk e ny vjoña
ðy
you.SNG
hoi
whose.SNG
lauchið
home
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
fysk
near
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
vjoña
river

you whose home is near the river
  • Hoi used since subject is 2nd person singular, relative clause subject is genitival

mæn hun shynðary ðaið mjurav
mæn
we.PLR.EXC
hun
whose.PLR
shynða-ry
parent-PLR
ða-ið
are-DUR.PLR
mjurav
dead

we whose parents are dead
  • Hun used since subject is 1st person plural, relative clause subject is genitival

y qjuralg hæv vjorkad hål nyð dymjurvayð yñ y kyr
y
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
hæv
whose.SNG
vjorkad
axe
hål
down
nyð
with.INS
dymjurv-ayð
kill-DUR.SNG
ABS
y
the.SNG
kyr
king

the warrior whose axe with-killed the king

y qjuralg hæv vjorkad hål yñ y ky nyð dymjurvayðr
y
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
hæv
whose.SNG
vjorkad
axe
ABS
y
the.SNG
kyr
king
hål
down
nyð
with.INS
dymjurv-ayð
kill-DUR.SNG

the warrior whose axe with-killed the king
  • Hæv used since subject is 3rd person singular, relative clause subject is genitival
  • Vjorkad hål nyð dymjurvayð shows that voices are used in relative clauses just like main clauses

yr ðalgöchry hayn rifjæn ðayd lom e ny lumaich
yr
the.PLR
ðalgöchry
miner.PLR
hayn
whose.PLR
rifjæn
fellow/companion
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
lom
in
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
lumaich
cave

the miners whose fellow/companion is in the cave
  • Hayn used since subject is 3rd person plural, relative clause subject is genitival

Full sentence example(s)

jastyr qis yñ fjunayd hu y qjuralg sey shyna e ny filnjåd fjorma chæmayd e ny ðjodaim.
jastyr
bread
qis
upward
AFFECT
fjun-ayd
bake-SNG.EPI
hu
of.GEN
ny
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
sey
REL
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
filnjåd
park
fjorma
around.DIR
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
e
at.LOC
ny
the.SNG
ðjodaim
morning

"The bread was being baked up (this morning) by the warrior that walked around in the park."
  • Sey shyna e ny filnjåd fjorma chæmayd appears in A-V order because e ny ðjodaim "in the park" appears after. Using verb-final order shows where the relative clause ends & adjuncts for the main verb resume

------------------------------

There's lots of death and killing in those examples. Conlanging is a melodramatic business. :lol:
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven: Genitives

Genitive constructions are just shortened or reduced relative phrases. I'm using the term "genitive" very broadly. It includes the usual possession/ownership, but I'm also including nouns modified by a prepositional phrase, such as "the fountain in the park".

y vjorkad dja ðayd hu ny qjuralg
y
the.SNG
vjorkad
axe
dja
that
ða-yd
is-DUR.SNG
hu
GEN
ny
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior

the axe that is of the warrior
  • This is a complete relative phrase, shown as a starting point

y vjorkad dja hu ny qjuralg
y
the.SNG
vjorkad
axe
dja
that
hu
GEN
ny
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior

• ðayd may be removed from the phrase, leaving the relativizer dja to show the phrases are connected
  • ðayd is the only verb that is removed in this manner
  • dja is the relativizer used with ða "to be", which helps indicate the connection

y vjorkad hu ny qjuralg
y
the.SNG
vjorkad
axe
hu
GEN
ny
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior

• The relitivizer dja may be removed from the phrase as well, leaving only the noun phrase with the case particle to show the relationship
  • Phrases are normally spoken with a slight hiatus between them. Genitive constructions don't have that hiatus; it's like 1 phrase
  • If context will not be clear, the speaker can always revert to one of the above constructions (just using dja is usually enough).

"Genitives" with other cases
y qjuralg nyð vjorkad
y
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
nyð
INS
vjorkad
axe

the warrior with an axe
the warrior that has an axe
  • The instrumental can be used as the "inverse" of the genitive, indicating the head noun has something, rather than the head noun is owned by something

y qjuralg an y tunych
y
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
an
INI
y
the.SNG
tunych
north

the warrior from the north
  • The initiative shows where someone/something originated from

------------

Looking at this now, I might go back and revise my noun cases a little bit. I have a hard time seeing some of the noun cases used in this manner, and right now that seems like cases that indicate a steady state would be more likely to be used this way. I also think that "steady state" might be a good way of looking at why they would be used for telic statements; they connote the resulting state of the action. Because of that, I might make some changes like switching the genitive & ergative cases in terms of which one is telic vs atelic.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven: Adjectives & Adverbs

y ðalgöch liŋåv njasho
y
the.SNG
ðalgöch
miner
liŋåv
very
njasho
old

the very old miner

yr ðalgöchry liŋåv njashon
yr
the.PLR
ðalgöch-ry
miner-PLR
liŋåv
very
njasho-n
old-PLR

the very old miners
  • Adjectives follow the nouns they modify
  • Adjective qualifiers (very, more, etc.) come before the adjective
  • Adjectives have plural form ( -(y)n suffix) to agree with nouns that are in the dual, paucal, or plural numbers
  • In the future I'll add a few more plural forms, and some adjectives won't take plural forms at all

chæmayd liŋåv kjælship
chæm-ayd
run-DUR.SNG
liŋåv
very
kjælship
fast

runs very fast

chæmayd liŋåv kjælship
chæm-aið
run-DUR.PLR
liŋåv
very
kjælship
fast

runs very fast
  • Likewise, adverbs follow the verbs they modify
  • Adverb qualifiers (very, more, etc.) come before the adverb
  • Adverbs do NOT inflect for number

Full sentence example:
yr ðalgöchry njashon nyð tachry shybaryn mögæch chaemaið dachys an yr lumaichry
yr
the.PLR
ðalgöch-ry
miner-PLR
njasho-n
old-PLR
nyð
with.INS
tach-ry
pick-PLR
shybary-n
broken-PLR
mögæch
out
chaema-ið
walk-DUR.PLR
dachys
slowly
an
INI
yr
the.PLR
lumaich-ry
cave-PLR

The old miners with broken picks slowly walked out from the caves.
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani Phonology)

Post by Vardelm »

Time to start posting about other languages a little! I posted about Devani quite a bit in my scratchpad on the old board, but since then I've been doing a major rework on it, mostly in terms of phonology & making it more synthetic to agglutinative instead of isolating.

Devani Phonology

Consonants: IPA
Labial Coronal Dorsal Gutteral
Stops p b t̪ d̪ ʈ ɖ t͡ɕ d͡ʒ k g
Fricatives θ s ʂ ɕ h
Nasals m n̪ ɳ
Continuants ʋ ɹ~ɾ̥ ɭ j

Consonants: Orthography
Labial Coronal Dorsal Gutteral
Stops p b t d ŧ đ ch j k g
Fricatives th s š sh h
Nasals m n ň
Continuants v r l j
  • / ɹ ɾ̥ / in free distribution
  • Yes, I have /θ/ in this language as well as Dwarvish. Yes, I realize it's a rare phone. Tough. My 'lang, my rules. :P My other 2 'langs in this series won't have it, so it's not completely unreasonable.

Vowels
Front Mid Back
Closed i u
Mid e o
Open a
  • Not sure what I'm doing yet for diphthongs.

Syllables
  • maximally CCVC
    • Onset clusters
      • Initial syllables
        • stop + fricative
        • stop + nasal
        • stop + continuant
        • fricative + nasal
        • fricative + continuant
        • nasal + continuant
        • /ʋ/ + /ɹ ɾ̥ j/
      • Medial & final syllables
      • stop + continuant
      • fricative + continuant
      • nasal + continuant
      • /ʋ/ + / ɹ~ɾ̥ j /
    • Onset restrictions
      • no non-retroflex + retroflex
      • no retroflex + non-retroflex
      • no /h/ in 2nd onset position

Stress
  • Final syllable in 2 syllable words where 1st syllable is open and 2nd syllable is closed
  • Penultimate everywhere else
Last edited by Vardelm on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani Phonology)

Post by Vardelm »

Devani Verbs Conjugation

Here's a 1st crack at verb conjugation.

Notes:
  • Verbs are primarily split between realis & irrealis
    • Realis is the lemme, and is conjugated by suffixes
    • The irrealis stem is formed via reduplicated infix, and is then conjugated with prefixes and suffixes.
  • There are volitional & non-volitional endings. I'm starting w/ just volitional.
  • 1st, 2nd, & 3rd person. No plural, no gender. These are merged w/ volitionality & evidence.
  • Evidentials are:
    • EGO = egophoric
    • VIS = visual
    • NVI = non-visual sensory
    • REP = reported
    • DIR = inference by direct evidence
    • IND = inference by indirect evidence

Realis
EGO VIS NVI REP DIR IND
1P -am -ve -vu -tiv -mah -mis
2P -a -e -u -anti -lam -ison
3P -vah -ire -alu -i -lu -is

Irrealis

Stem is formed by reduplicating the 1st consonant of the onset in the stressed syllable & placing after the vowel of that syllable.

EGO VIS NVI REP DIR IND
1P -a a- -e a- -u a- -anti mu- lam mu- -ison
2P m- -a v- -e v- -u v- -anti ha- -lam ha- -ison
3P m- -vah v- -ire v- -alu v- -i ha- -lu ha- -is

Example verb: tiprash "to do something that hasn't been defined yet"

Realis
EGO VIS NVI REP DIR IND
1P tiprasham tiprashve tiprashvu tiprashtiv tiprashmah tiprashmis
2P tiprasha tiprashe tiprashu tiprashanti tiprashlam tiprashison
3P tiprashvah tiprashire tiprashalu tiprashi tiprashlu tiprashis

Irrealis

Stem: tiprapsh-

EGO VIS NVI REP DIR IND
1P tiprapsha atiprapshe atiprapshu atiprapshanti mutiprapshalam mutiprapshison
2P mitprapsha vitprapshe vitprapshu vitprapshanti hatiprapshalam hatiprapshison
3P mitprapshavah vitprapshire vitprapshalu vitprapshi hatiprapshalu hatiprapshis
masako

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani Verb Endings: 1st try)

Post by masako »

I would have guessed that NVI and DIR might derive from the same, or similar roots...or, that they merge at some point given the syntactical-semantic equivalence. However, I think having them be distinct can lend itself to some nuance in discourse and perhaps layered prosody.

EDIT: Also, I'm jelly at the tables/charts. I've yet to fiddle with them...so, kudos.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

After some further review, me thinks I need to add some syncretism to at least a few of the fields. I found & save Whimemsz's old thread on polysynthesis and noted the post where he talked about polysynthetic langs being just as "messy" as other langs. Good timing! I think this conlang will not be (or even was not IIRC from the old board) pro-drop for the most part. I'd like to maybe just have 1st person be pro-drop for a few cases, especially the egophoric evidential.

Also, I think the general feel of the conjugations is in the ball park for what I want, but needs more tweaking.

masako wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 am I would have guessed that NVI and DIR might derive from the same, or similar roots...or, that they merge at some point given the syntactical-semantic equivalence. However, I think having them be distinct can lend itself to some nuance in discourse and perhaps layered prosody.
That makes sense, and I rather like the idea of them diverging. I need to go back & revisit the evidentials since I pulled these straight from the version on the old forum. It's been about 4 years (!!!!) since I posted the initial version there, so I don't exactly recall the distinctions.

masako wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 am EDIT: Also, I'm jelly at the tables/charts. I've yet to fiddle with them...so, kudos.
I assume you mean technically, so yeah, they're a bit of a pain in the arse. I find it easier to write the text for a row, add the cell tags, then the row tags, do the next row, etc., and add the table tag at the end. Adding spaces & returns to keep things organized helps a ton. It's still tedious since it's not WYSIWYG.

In case you mean creatively, then "thanks!" and "that makes me happy!" :lol: I mapped out what inflections I wanted about 2 years ago, and for about a year I've been trying to decide how I wanted to handle the realis vs. irrealis stems. Seeing chris_nott's Pñæk conlang and Ars Lande's recent work on Kangrim / Old Hieratic Tarandim finally got me over that mental quagmire. Kudos to them for the inspiration.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

For tables, I've sometimes resorted to using zompist's phono tool and removing extra rows/columns as needed.

One thing that is not entirely clear: how do the irrealis and evidential combine?
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Ars Lande wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:25 pm One thing that is not entirely clear: how do the irrealis and evidential combine?
:shock: .... :? .... :roll:

In putting this together, I completely neglected a chart I put together for myself that addresses that very question (and was on the old board, too)! Derp.

The egophoric, visual, and non-visual evidentials use the realis stem for past & present, and the irrealis stem for future. Meanwhile, the reportative, direct, & indirect inferentials use the irrealis stem full time, which is past vs. non-past tense. (Yep, split-tense system.) I'm thinking about moving the reportative to the realis/non-future group.

This chart was intended to mostly be an early draft focusing on the morphology. I will definitely be going back and change some of the affixes as there's some I don't particularly like. That will include writing some posts that specifically break down the realis vs irrealis uses, evidential uses, and more.

Thanks for the observation! This means there's actually less affixes that I need to make that what I thought!
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Jin Phonology)

Post by Vardelm »

Jin: Phonology

I've been tinkering with another conlang I posted on the old board: Jin. The phonology is largely the same as it was then, but I've made a couple changes to make the syntax much simpler to explain & understand.

Consonants: IPA
Labial Coronal Lateral Palatal Dorsal Gutteral
Clicks ǀ ǀʼ
nǀ nǀ’
ǁ ǁʼ
nǁ nǁ’
ǂ ǂʼ
nǂ nǂ’
Stops p b
mp mb
t d tʼ
nt nd ntʼ
k g kʼ
ŋk ŋg ŋkʼ
q qʼ
ɴq ɴqʼ
Affricates tʃ dʒ tʃ’
ɲtʃ ɲdʒ ɲtʃ’
Fricatives s z
ns nz
ʃ ʒ
ɲʃ ɲʒ
h
Nasals m n ɲ
Continuants l j w

Consonants: Orthography
Labial Coronal Lateral Palatal Dorsal Gutteral
Clicks !t !t’
!nt !nt’
!l !l’
!nl !nl’
!c !c’
!nc !nc’
Stops p b
mp mb
t d t'
nt nd nt'
k g k’
ñk ñg ñk’
q q’
ñq ñq’
Affricates c j c’
ñc ñj ñc’
Fricatives s z
ns nz
sh zh
ñsh ñzh
h
Nasals m n ñ
Continuants l y w

Vowels: IPA
Front Mid Back
Closed i u
Mid
Open a

Tone Registers
  • Tones: low, high
  • Phonations: modal, murmured/breathy, creaky
Tone Register Abbreviation Orthography Tone + Phonation
High H î â û high tone, murmured phonation
Raised R í á ú high tone, modal
Middle (default) M i a u low tone, modal
Low L ï ä ü low tone, creaky phonation

Notes:
  • Raised & high tones rise at the start of a sentence.
  • Low tone falls at the start of a sentence.
Tone Melodies: Restrictions
  • Low can’t follow high; low after a high is changed to mid
    • HL → HM
  • High can’t follow low; high after a low is changed to raised
    • LH → LR

Syllable Structure
  • Technically, syllable structure is (C)V(C)
  • In practice, it’s almost exclusively CV
    • Initial syllables can omit the onset consonant
    • Final syllables of a word can have a coda consonant
    • Certain clitics might a coda consonant
  • Onsets: All consonants are allowed as onsets
  • Codas: Clicks and < y w > are not allowed in coda
Last edited by Vardelm on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Jin Word Order)

Post by Vardelm »

Jin: Word Order

Stative Verbs:
mishati t’anji
mishati
thirsty
t’anji
1P.STA

I am thirsty.

wani t’anji saqûmbu
wani
see
t’anji
1P.STA
saqûmbu
2P.ACT

I see you.

Active Verbs:
buch’ad qasim
buch’ad
run
qasim
3P.ACT

He runs.

wamula qasim sundiwa
wamula
blame
qasim
3P.ACT
sundiwa
2P.STA

He blames you.

Notes:
  • Verbs roots are either active or stative by default
    • Voice/valency suffixes can be added to conjugate/derive a new stem that switches active vs. stative
    • Verb arguments are either active or stative as well, as defined by their head noun or determiner
    • The verb & it's voice/valency determine which type of arguments are used
  • For word orders below:
    • S = active argument (more agentive: think nominative/ergative)
    • O = stative argument (more patientive: think accusative/absolutive)
  • Word orders:
    • Stative intransitive verb: VO
    • Stative transitive verb: VOS
    • Active intransitive verb: VS
    • Active transitive verb: VSO
Last edited by Vardelm on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masako

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Jin Phonology & Word Order)

Post by masako »

I have no shame in telling you that some of this will end up in Kala's grammar, which I'm in the process of rewriting.

Specifically the active/stative bits.