Rare/unusual natlang features

Natural languages and linguistics
Nortaneous

Rare/unusual natlang features

Post by Nortaneous »

Bringing this thread back from the old board.

Mapos Buang has a full set of uvulars: /q ɢ ʁ ɴ/. /ɴ/ is otherwise unattested except in a few Inuit languages, where it probably isn't phonemic, and in some dialects of Bai.

Nias Selatan contrasts all of /ʙ b v ʋ w/, although /v/ is marginal. Some dialects also have a shift of t d > pf bv before /u/.

Iau has six consonants, eight vowels, and eight tones, but two tones can appear on a syllable. Foau, another Lakes Plain language, has 17 consonants and no nasals.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
mae

Re: Rare/unusual natlang features

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Northwest Caucasian languages, in addition to all the nonsense of their phonologies, also feature in grammatical terms not only ergative person marking on the verb, but also polypersonalism that extends to incorporating inflected prepositions into the verb to increase the number of arguments marked.

q-aː-ɕə-f-aː-ʂ’ə-ʁaː-ʁ
DIR-3plI-LOC-BEN-3plE-do-PST-PST
"they did it for them there"

qʷaːʂʷa-m r-aː-r-jə-ʁa-ʁa-wət͡sʷaː-ʁ
boat-OBL LOC-3plI-DAT-3sgE-CAUS-CAUS-stand-PST
"He asked them to put it into the boat"

qə-zə-sħaː-tja-z-ʁa-t’əs-haː-ʁ
DIR-RFLI-head-LOC-1sgE-CAUS-sit.down-go.in-PST
"I put it on my head"
Birdlang

Post by Birdlang »

Ngadha contrasts /ɗ/ and /ᶑ/. It also has no prefixes or suffixes, or affixes of any kind. Which makes its grammar very streamlined.
Fijian has /ⁿdʳ/. Ndrumbea and Nyindrou have the same phoneme.
Sundanese has a vowel system of /i u e ɤ o ə a/ written as i u é eu o e a.
Acehnese also contrasts /ɤ/ and /ə/. The vowel system is /i u e ɤ o ə ɛ ʌ ɔ a/ written as i u é eu ô e/ë (second only in diphthongs) è ö o a.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Frislander wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 amNorthwest Caucasian languages, in addition to all the nonsense of their phonologies, also feature in grammatical terms not only ergative person marking on the verb, but also polypersonalism that extends to incorporating inflected prepositions into the verb to increase the number of arguments marked.

q-aː-ɕə-f-aː-ʂ’ə-ʁaː-ʁ

"I put it on my head"
What specific language is that? Are you familiar with enough with that language, so that you know the answer if I ask you how one says "I put them on my head" in it?

The order of the morphemes looks pretty amusing. I imagine that the reason why -aː-r- -3PL.I-DAT- appears after LOC in the 2nd example is because datives are a core argument in a way that the LOC morpheme is not, hence also the expulsion of the -aː- -3PL.I- morpheme in the 1st example to a position before the LOC (benefactives are not core). But then, why doesn't the qə- DIR- morpheme appear next to -r- DAT? Is the so-called "DIR-" morpheme a marker of transitivity instead? If "(I put) them (on my head)" turns out to be rendered by something that starts with 3PL-DIR-, I'm going to be even more amused.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Some developments of initials in Zbu Rgyalrong dialects:
*ɬ- > lt- / ltʰ-
*ɮ- > ld-
*sl- > ldz- / zd-
*v- > ʁ-
*m- > mŋ- before a uvularized (velarized?) vowel
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Ser wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:03 pm
Frislander wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 amNorthwest Caucasian languages, in addition to all the nonsense of their phonologies, also feature in grammatical terms not only ergative person marking on the verb, but also polypersonalism that extends to incorporating inflected prepositions into the verb to increase the number of arguments marked.

q-aː-ɕə-f-aː-ʂ’ə-ʁaː-ʁ

"I put it on my head"
What specific language is that? Are you familiar with enough with that language, so that you know the answer if I ask you how one says "I put them on my head" in it?
It's Adyghe, I should have said, I think "I put them on my head" would be either the same (as 3rd person arguments tend not to be marked) or /qaːzəsħaːtjazʁat’əshaːʁ/ (it's not given in the article though, cause this is taken from an article not a comprehensive grammar), or maybe even /aːqəzəsħaːtjazʁat’əshaːʁ/, but to be honest I'm not sure, I'll need to track down a full grammar.
The order of the morphemes looks pretty amusing. I imagine that the reason why -aː-r- -3PL.I-DAT- appears after LOC in the 2nd example is because datives are a core argument in a way that the LOC morpheme is not, hence also the expulsion of the -aː- -3PL.I- morpheme in the 1st example to a position before the LOC (benefactives are not core). But then, why doesn't the qə- DIR- morpheme appear next to -r- DAT? Is the so-called "DIR-" morpheme a marker of transitivity instead? If "(I put) them (on my head)" turns out to be rendered by something that starts with 3PL-DIR-, I'm going to be even more amused.
The article gives a gloss for DIR as "directive", which I'm uncertain what that's supposed to mean. Judging from some paradigms, it looks like an optional marker of a direct object, where the absolutive argument is always marked first.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Doesn't Japanese have /ɴ/?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I think /ɴ/ for Japanese means "nasal with unspecified point of articulation" (or even "nasalization of the previous vowel") rather than actually "uvular nasal". At any rate, it never contrasts with /n/ (at least not directly).
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I read that it actually has uvular or near uvular pronunciaion when not assimilated
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I have read contradictory evidence about that. Let's just say that phoneticians are conflicted.
Whimemsz

Post by Whimemsz »

Last edited by Whimemsz on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

mae wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pmThe problem with these descriptions is that if there is "incomplete contact" then the claim that it's a 'uvular nasal' is simply false. Nasals are stops, and stops do not have 'incomplete contact'.
Nasals are typically but not necessarily stops, can also be nasalized approximants. See Mandarin allophony in China (especially Beijing), where it's common to pronounce pinyin -an [æn] and -en [ən] as [æɨ̯̃] and [əɨ̯̃] too. This kind of thing is presumably what the "[ɴ̞]" of Nogita et al. stands for with that lowered diacritic.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Japanese "ɴ" is placeless, probably glottal at a deep enough level of Theory (like Burmese, where codas are neutralized to the glottals -ʔ -ŋ), but in singing you do get what sounds like a very backed syllabic velar nasal sometimes.
mae

Post by mae »

-
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

mae wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm I don't think it's reasonable to call it "the word final allophone of /n/"
Phoneme labels are arbitrary, however. We could denote Japanese's nasal phoneme as /👃/, for example. It's merely convention that phoneme labels are similar to their primary allophone(s).
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Are you thinking about the infamous Hale (2000) paper that analyzed Marshallese with four vowel phonemes /☕/, /⚽/, /☎/, /☯/?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Birdlang wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:09 am Ngadha contrasts /ɗ/ and /ᶑ/. It also has no prefixes or suffixes, or affixes of any kind. Which makes its grammar very streamlined.
I know I’m a bit late to reply to this, but: aren’t there many other languages like this as well?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ryusenshi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 am Are you thinking about the infamous Hale (2000) paper that analyzed Marshallese with four vowel phonemes /☕/, /⚽/, /☎/, /☯/?
Not specifically, no, but that's a good real-world example of what I mean.