ZBB Conlang Index (check first post)

Conworlds and conlangs
Raholeun

Re: ZBB Conlang Index (check first post)

Post by Raholeun »

Doubtless there are a lot of conlangers who only exercise their hobby seasonally and not evenly spread throughout the year. I certainly do have a "cool down period" of a month or two after every time some progress is made. Users will return in time.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I remember seeing someone say that forums in general are less active now than they used to be.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Vijay wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 pm I remember seeing someone say that forums in general are less active now than they used to be.
This may be the case. Much of the action probably migrated to social networks, which are effectively fora with boards for everything.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

On Twitter, there is no board per se, but there are definitely a few linguists talking about linguistics and a few South Asians who mostly aren't linguists talking about South Asian linguistics.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 am
Vijay wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 pm I remember seeing someone say that forums in general are less active now than they used to be.
This may be the case. Much of the action probably migrated to social networks, which are effectively fora with boards for everything.
I think there's also some influence from lower laptop/desktop usage--many people nowadays hardly use either at home, preferring to use their phone instead. And using the Internet, especially in terms of writing your own content, is so much harder on a phone.

I occasionally try making a post here from a phone, but I generally try to avoid it because it's so much slower. When I come here on my phone I just read new posts.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

the old phpBB software was extremely inconvenient to use with a smartphone .... even with a relatively large screen the important UI elements were so small that hitting them each spot-on was like trying to squish an ant by sitting on it. The new redesign, however, is much better ... I have no problems using my phone to type here or on the CBB which uses a nearly identical UI. Its too bad that phpBB seems to be "pick one or the other" .... lacking the ability of most other software programs to have a separate UI for mobile & desktop users, and to serve the same user in both UI's depending on their device so that they can use both under the same username.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:31 pmIts too bad that phpBB seems to be "pick one or the other" .... lacking the ability of most other software programs to have a separate UI for mobile & desktop users, and to serve the same user in both UI's depending on their device so that they can use both under the same username.
I don't know what you mean by this. I have no problems staying logged in from both my laptop and phone with the same username.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Me neither. Perhaps I worded that confusingly. What I mean is ....

phpBB's user interface is the same on both mobile and desktop logins. Most modern sites ... e.g. Twitter, Wikipedia, Facebook, Pinterest,YouTube, Instagram ... present the user a starkly different user interface depending on their device, all while logged in to a single account. (And at least one, Wikipedia, also allows the user to select the opposite interface on purpose.) phpBB seems to lack this ability ... before we upgraded we had a nice UI for desktop users and an extremely frustrating one for mobile users. The sitting-on-ants thing was only one of many problems for mobile users. Now, the UI is excellent on mobile, but on the CBB I remember people complaining that it was a downgrade for desktop users because less information fit on the screen and some buttons that had once been close together were now separated by a full screen width. and I think the old design was slightly better on desktop, too.

There are *some* differences between the mobile and desktop phpBB skins, e.g. the position of the avatars .... but they seem to be quite limited. I guess its just a hunch, not something I know for certain, ... but I suspect that phpBB, for whatever reason, has a much weaker ability to make use of custom skins than other software, whether it's on the client end or the server end, and that is why the upgrade required a radical change to the experience for both mobile and desktop users.

edit: in fact, the position of the avatar changes just by me making my desktop browser window smaller ... so, my hunch is that phpBB's UI is the exact same for all users on all devices.
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

zyxw59 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:05 pm Proto-Ləjbɦahe and descendants: https://github.com/zyxw59/ljb
Finally got around to changing my format to be more web-friendly; it's now at https://zyxw59.github.io/ljb/
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

zyxw59 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:58 pmFinally got around to changing my format to be more web-friendly; it's now at https://zyxw59.github.io/ljb/
OMG a change to the index!! I've added it now.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

You might want to update/delete the links to KneeQuickie while you're back there.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 pmYou might want to update/delete the links to KneeQuickie while you're back there.
The last check for linkrot was in July 2018.

I should probably do a user cleanup as I did in July 2018 when the move to verduria.org happened and I removed a bunch of users and their links due to not coming here anymore (e.g. Skomakar'n, Radius Solis, Ulrike Meinhof), but who were still listed as this Index was created in 2013 or so, but I guess I'll skip that due to low activity here anyway.

I removed these users as their conlangs were only on KneeQuickie:
- clawgrip (with Himmaswa)
- Nortaneous (with Cherun, Miar)
- Viktor77 (with Falgwian)

I also updated Man in Space's old nickname to his new one, and fixed all CBB links, plus Pole, the's link to that Polish conlang wiki.

I'm actually surprised to see the few various conlang sites on personal domains are all still up.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.