Sightings of conlangs in the wild

Topics that can go away
alice

Sightings of conlangs in the wild

Post by alice »

The first named storm of the winter is called Arwen, which is probably the first time a name in a conlang has been used for such a purpose. Coincidentally, the original Arwen had the epithet Evenstar, and Venus has begun to be visible in the evenings.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/p ... rwen-named
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Re: Sightings of conlangs in the wild

Post by Raphael »

Great thread idea!
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Well, it is typically the 8,770th most common girls' name in the USA, much commoner than Galadriel, which has shown up as an adopted name in a novel.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Richard W wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:09 pm Galadriel, which has shown up as an adopted name in a novel.
Do you refer to "Good Omens"? Although there it wasn't an adopted name, but a case of "parents give their children embarassing names". Or do you have a different novel in mind?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I recollect reading a book when I was something like eleven or twelve called The Great Gilly Hopkins, whose main character (usually called "Gilly") was named Galadriel (I believe her mother had been a hippie). I didn't quite get the reference at the time, though, and just thought it was a fancy-sounding name.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:07 am Do you refer to "Good Omens"? Although there it wasn't an adopted name, but a case of "parents give their children embarassing names". Or do you have a different novel in mind?
The one I had in mind was a hippie in Lucifer's Hammer.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Richard W wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm The one I had in mind was a hippie in Lucifer's Hammer.
Ok, Thanks. I never heard about "Lucifer's Hammer", would you recommend it?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I haven't read it, but judging from some things I've heard about it, it seems to be at least partly an ultra-reactionary revenge fantasy.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 am I haven't read it, but judging from some things I've heard about it, it seems to be at least partly an ultra-reactionary revenge fantasy.
It's a good solid read; if you generally like Niven and Pournelle, you'll like it. It didn't come across as a revenge fantasy; the only pure revenge is very much in the background.