Whistled Phonetics

Conworlds and conlangs
Pedant

Whistled Phonetics

Post by Pedant »

Trying to come up with a phonetic representation of a whistled language...anyone know of any formats? (Grin) Or is this going to be a straight-from-scratch thing?
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
mèþru

Re: Whistled Phonetics

Post by mèþru »

maybe in an unofficial IPA extension? Definitely not in the standard IPA
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
gestaltist

Post by gestaltist »

If you mean a whistled language like some tonal languages do where you whistle the tones, I've seen notation using tone numbers. I guess you could also use IPA tone symbols and have something like [˧˦˦˥]
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

The only thing I can think of is the whistled phonation symbol ◌͎. But it's probably pointless to you since everything is whistled.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I would just use musical notes and if I had to write things in a compact line, maybe use colors to mark the tones. How important is tone vs everything else ? E.g. if tone is >50% of the info you might want an orthography that resembles music and highlights the pitch differences most prominently.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 pm I would just use musical notes and if I had to write things in a compact line, maybe use colors to mark the tones. How important is tone vs everything else ? E.g. if tone is >50% of the info you might want an orthography that resembles music and highlights the pitch differences most prominently.
Strictly speaking the language was going to be toneless...I thought about it being a natural extension of a proto-language that diverged a bit, becoming an avoidance speech of sorts for long flights while the main language evolved into something a bit closer to, say, Georgian.
Ah, well, probably on my own for this one. In which case, I might see about looking into standard musical notation——or possibly something else? There must be something...
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Whistled language in natlangs is always a register rather than a sister language to a non-whistled one.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Indeed...but I did rather want to keep the Georgian phonotactics, and couldn't find any examples of how to do so. Perhaps a variation?
Spell Merchant | Patreon