Almeomusica

Almea and the Incatena
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Meet the Žambeys

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 am
zompist wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:13 pm I'll look at my notes but I'm afraid there's very little there.
No worries ‒ you mentioned keyboardists ‒ I thought C.K. was a truckers’ magazine, am I missing something here?
Heh, yeah... the initials stood for Contemporary Keyboard, later just Keyboard. Though this kind of silliness has been tempered, the association can remain.
Sounds good. I wonder if it would then just still get called Elcaďinas, perhaps.
You could, but I think that'd be a bit archaic. (But the Cfesifonei like to sound achaic!)

(Caďinas is really awkward in Verdurian: it's a reborrowing, so the -as is treated as part of the root, thus giving genitive caďinasei etc. Plus it's strongly associated with the empire. The adjective caďin is still current and convenient, so elcaďin works fine.)
1. How do you go about coining Kebreni personal names? I can see an amount of -um, and -ec for women, applied to normal lexemes. Can you just use any word in the dictionary, or is there more to it, and are suffixes common/obligatory/optional...? Without having made a big list of Kebreni names I thought it would be easier to ask.
I often use a verb + -eu (m) / -ec (f) for first names, a place + -um for family names. Remember that -um names an inhabitant: "mountainlander" is good, "radishlander" not as good. :)

But almost any noun can be used for a first name. Jewels, plants, animals, virtues, and happy qualities work well.

For surnames, think "what would distinguish one medieval dude from another?" Location works, thus all the -um names. But a profession is OK too, or an adjective. Be prosaic here-- Kalum the Tall is fine, Kalum the Righteous is overblown.
2. Any notes/ideas on what happened to Getemil Onvaďre? He would be 16 in 3422, and last we heard (from the Almeopedia article on Onvaďra) he was arrested in 3420 on the death of his mother.

As we’re headed to Verduria-city in time for the second imdaluát of King Vläran, and two years seems potentially a long time for a youngish teenager to be arrested, I’m wondering if there’ll be some interest/gossip/drama involving what happens to him going around Verduria-city when we get there.
Verduria was pretty law-oriented at that time, so Vlaran would not have him killed or anything. If you want him available for the narrative, he could be freed that year; on the other hand he'd be strongly encouraged to not stay in Verduria-city.
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

zompist wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:05 am Heh, yeah... the initials stood for Contemporary Keyboard, later just Keyboard. Though this kind of silliness has been tempered, the association can remain.
Haha ok, that makes more sense now! It would certainly be nice to place a workshop in the town making keyboard parts or something that Kaidan and Zevy can visit. Kaidan eventually runs an instrument workshop, and he needs to get his inspiration from somewhere. The workshop in C.K. would no doubt be a little place, the home of an eccentric/enthusiast devoted to teclora innovations. I visited somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Hungary like that that I could draw on.
You could, but I think that'd be a bit archaic. (But the Cfesifonei like to sound achaic!)

(Caďinas is really awkward in Verdurian: it's a reborrowing, so the -as is treated as part of the root, thus giving genitive caďinasei etc. Plus it's strongly associated with the empire. The adjective caďin is still current and convenient, so elcaďin works fine.)
Right, makes sense! Is Elcaďináe a plausible option?
I often use a verb + -eu (m) / -ec (f) for first names, a place + -um for family names. Remember that -um names an inhabitant: "mountainlander" is good, "radishlander" not as good. :)

But almost any noun can be used for a first name. Jewels, plants, animals, virtues, and happy qualities work well.

For surnames, think "what would distinguish one medieval dude from another?" Location works, thus all the -um names. But a profession is OK too, or an adjective. Be prosaic here-- Kalum the Tall is fine, Kalum the Righteous is overblown.
Thank you -- this is so helpful -- and if you ever feel like it, would be a great addition to the Kebreni language page.

Does Zaugu Mogemum work?
Verduria was pretty law-oriented at that time, so Vlaran would not have him killed or anything. If you want him available for the narrative, he could be freed that year; on the other hand he'd be strongly encouraged to not stay in Verduria-city.
Right -- I wasn't planning this, but actually... it might work to involve him a little in what's ahead. Do you think it would make sense for him to be released into the care of a noble family, who have sworn to keep him out of trouble for the King, and who have a far-off place to sequester him to? ... In which case, could that noble family be the Spasiecs?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

sasasha wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:41 am Right, makes sense! Is Elcaďináe a plausible option?
Mmm, doesn't sound good. You could maybe get away with "soî Elcaďinî" (that is, eliding cimî).
Does Zaugu Mogemum work?
I assume this is based on the place name Mogema. I don't like all the m's; I think Mogemen sounds better.
Right -- I wasn't planning this, but actually... it might work to involve him a little in what's ahead. Do you think it would make sense for him to be released into the care of a noble family, who have sworn to keep him out of trouble for the King, and who have a far-off place to sequester him to? ... In which case, could that noble family be the Spasiecs?
I guess so. FWIW Perecaln was probably pretty ordinary in the 3420s... its troubles were much later.