Inspiration for new tech, Apple-style

Topics that can go away
alice

Inspiration for new tech, Apple-style

Post by alice »

I found this, which was quite funny. Perhaps some of you might find it useful for imagining gadgets in your conworlds?
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Raphael

Re: Inspiration for new tech, Apple-style

Post by Raphael »

What kind of [word]-punk is that?

Would Macs be any more expensive if they were actually made of marble?

One thing I would probably buy, if I would live in an universe where both a) it would be on the market, and b) I would have a shitton of money, would be a computer-like gadget that would be physically incapable of letting you do anything else than working on text files.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pmOne thing I would probably buy, if I would live in an universe where both a) it would be on the market, and b) I would have a shitton of money, would be a computer-like gadget that would be physically incapable of letting you do anything else than working on text files.
Like this?
Torco

Post by Torco »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pm What kind of [word]-punk is that?

Would Macs be any more expensive if they were actually made of marble?

One thing I would probably buy, if I would live in an universe where both a) it would be on the market, and b) I would have a shitton of money, would be a computer-like gadget that would be physically incapable of letting you do anything else than working on text files.
like... not a general purpose computer? or just, say, the OS doesn't let you close Word ?

Also, how does this cost 400 bucks? it seems like it should be an arduino with a 3d printed case and a cheap e-ink display. they sell those at alibaba.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:52 pmLike this?
Interesting. If I had a couple hundred bucks to burn... Only downside I can see is the claim that it does file transfers entirely through the cloud.

Torco wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:18 pm

like... not a general purpose computer?
Well, the point would be to use technology to solve a self-discipline problem. General purpose computers allow me to do something else than writing...
or just, say, the OS doesn't let you close Word ?
Yeah, that would probably work.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I love them all, even the ugliest ones!
Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pm What kind of [word]-punk is that?
The VCR Mac is definitely formica punk
The old '80s word processors were exactly what you describe. I read about some well-known writer (George R.R. Martin) who still uses his old word processor exclusively. (Or used. I suppose the thing's dead by now.)
Torco

Post by Torco »

Well, the point would be to use technology to solve a self-discipline problem. General purpose computers allow me to do something else than writing...
no, sure, that's the point of it: it's probably not even self-discipline, it's just humans... it's natural for us to have dedicated tools: having one tool that does everything is kind of weird, so I get the use case: it's just, you could wire that arduino to run a simple word processor for relatively cheap. It seems like the kind of thing artisanal computer makers could make for cheap, if we had such a class. point is, limiting a general purpose machine seems easier, oddly, that making a computer that *can't* do other things.

that's a conworlding idea, compluthiers. computerters. bytesmiths? kind of like the guys who make the knockoff chinese BleyStation5.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pmOne thing I would probably buy, if I would live in an universe where both a) it would be on the market, and b) I would have a shitton of money, would be a computer-like gadget that would be physically incapable of letting you do anything else than working on text files.
Like this?
Seems interesting but i'm worried the pricing it offers $775 dollars is in US dollars so it would be out of my budget range. Especially since i need to get a new computer.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Like this?
Or an Alphasmart! We used to use these back in school for typing papers, so we would not be tempted by the delights of the internet. They're still somewhat popular with people doing NaNoWriMo and such.