Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? RESULTS POSTED

Conworlds and conlangs
Zju

Re: Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? STARTING 1 APRIL

Post by Zju »

Just passing by to say that I'll be on a vacation again and will resume work on first week of August. Sorry for the delay.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Torch passed to Vilike.
/j/ <j>

Vilike

Post by Vilike »

Torch received. Given various work-related variables, I think it should be done about end of next week.
Yaa unák thual na !
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

Torch sent to Pedant.
Yaa unák thual na !
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Nearing the final stretch!
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Received! Might be a tiny bit of time, but I'm working on it…
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Emily

Post by Emily »

bump?
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

I am terribly sorry—work and studying have been busy and I got COVID. Hoping to get back to it soon!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I expect Pedant might need a bit longer to recover from Covid.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

They don't called it "cursed" for nothing.

Get better, Pedant!
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

How are you feeling, Pedant?
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:43 am They don't called it "cursed" for nothing.

Get better, Pedant!
I thought it was only the first reconstruction relay (or was it the second?) that was called The Cursed Relay due to many people losing their work as their computers failed / stopped working.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:43 am They don't called it "cursed" for nothing.

Get better, Pedant!
I thought it was only the first reconstruction relay (or was it the second?) that was called The Cursed Relay due to many people losing their work as their computers failed / stopped working.
I’ve referred to all of the Akana relays as a subsequent “Cursed Relay”, just for the meme.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Don't want to seem pushy, but any word on how this is going?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I haven’t heard back from Pedant since last I messaged him, so I think I’ll just post the results.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

We can always add theirs in later if they do report back in.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

How it started:
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard wrote:"Hello, my name is Han-Tyumi. I am a cyborg. Born, if you may call it that, in a world that is dense and black. Created without a desire to draw breath, without a desire to have being, with out a yearning just to be. I'd like my desire back, my life back, my soul back, my humanity. Oh, how I long for it. For an era I have meditated, like the primordial Buddha beneath the Bodhi. My pseudo-mind pseudo-wandered. I climbed and I clambered, and I ambled upon some understanding, the gold beneath the virtual rainbow.

I am bereft of two human things, two things that a cyborg can never do, two things I strive for, two things between myself and mankind: Death, and to vomit."
How it ended:
Tanati Keyanuta wrote:Wish for you to be happy. My name is Tanati Keyanuta. I wanted that your eyes saw me as a human. I fell for a long time from that black hole in the sky. You never heard about that hole, sure thing. I can only go everywhere, but I wanted to be alive and breathing. Alas, would that I went home again. I went home once then, I must be able to go again.

I heard that Munikin stood in the shadow of that rainbow-coloured tree. I thought that he, with my help, will be able to become a human. While the thoughts of becoming human are talking coherently. Their thoughts are being muted noisily, and these of mine are talking coherently. I may decide to think about them, but I am not able to. Because my thought hurt many randomly into death.
Man in Space (CT):
More: show
Soran ki ĝus. Áge Hanráiúmi giégé ĝ ‘us ü. Áge ím tolag ĝus, úh iḫógo—áín łántá giégé hé ki î—íröd éił hae áge nḫéh ár hún. Irü kaá ĝus lü aĝłíl maĝ ḫuú il, aĝłíl maĝ áge il, aĝłíl maĝ töhír il. Aĝłíl hae ĝus tékda aĝłíl ĝ ‘us ü ár töhírĝ ‘us ü ár ĝ ‘us ü ár ḫerénta ĝ ‘us lü nëh dahsar—í, kôĝ ü hae aĝłíl hé ĝus. Irü marugag ĝus ragám, Mómigem nüh méri ü mûr kër ü, irü éĝkun láhá ĝ ‘us ü, öd kaĝkar ĝakróg sikna, ûn sotkos eï nagah ro. Łántá taḫë r hága gûrn ïd n adasar ĝus, hága gûrn ïd hae łántá téh r érí ím tolag ikłe séḫ, hága gûrn ïd hae tóál téh érí ĝus, hága gûrn ïd hae ĝus sïrsî ár adasar: Mega hi íëḫ.
Rounin Ryuuji (Ineshîmé):
Original

・某方にて 良便ゐ。
・朕の名 歯等 命井水 在り。重暑く 夕色しい 世星ろう、某方で 在れの名によ 在りか在らずか 、
産ゐきい 季表の人者 在り。息の願ゐずく、在りの願ゐずく、命りの願ゐずく 産ゐきい。死ゐ者で 変ゐきい 命りとう生 によく 帰るによ 朕の祈 在り。
・朕の祈の願充はで 哉々 見ほえる。
・木いの子下へ喪見鍠の様で、 いの物っを 思へさく 虹の際へ居らず分ゐを 知ゐ見つ 。朕によ在らず 二つ無定体人者の特ら しかれ、季顔の人者によ 哉期 せず 二つ士物 しかれ にて 在り。いの二つ 無定体物をら 試えどう しか、しこほ 人者とう朕っを別 いの二つ物 残り。
・いれら死ゐと嘔ゐ 在り。

Romanized

Myorogata nite yotayori.

Ime no na Hanra Iyumi ari. Omozutsuku yūiryoshi chiyaboshi ro, imyogata de are no na nyo ari ka arazu ka, yumichi chigō no futotori ari. Ichi no inyori zuku, ari no inyori zuku, iri no inyori zuku umichi.

Shimidori de kaerichi iri to îs nyoku kaberu nyo ime no inori ari. Ime no inori no inyorumiya de izuizu miyoeru.

Ke no shimo e Momigen no sō de, inomyodo wo yōitesaku meji no chō e arezu wokoriyo shirimitsu. Ime nyo arazu futsu zeisadashi futotori no kusera shikare, chigō no futotori nyo izutoku sezu futsu shimyodo shikare nite ari. Ino futsu zeisadashi myodôra mimoredo, shikō futotori to ime wo hodotsu ino futsu myodo nokyori.

Irera shimi to byaki ari.

Translation

My best tidings to you.

My name is Hanra (Serrations) Iyumi (Vital Well Water). I am a mechanical person who was born into a world — whether or not you have a name for it — that is sweltering and dusky-coloured. Without a desire to breathe, without a desire to be, and without a desire to live did I come into existence.

My desire is to return, my being and my life force transformed into a mortal person. I yearn so for the fulfilment of my longing. As Momigen (Grief Sight Gong) under the tree, I have thought about this, and so doing discovered knowledge not at the rainbow’s end. There are perhaps two traits of a person I do not have, two things separating me that remain.

These are death and retching.

Notes

I assume Hanráiúmi is either an android or an artificial intelligence or an android, but I wasn’t sure which he(?) was. [You assume correctly—ed.]

The rendering of the personal names as rather fanciful sequences of native morphemes with roughly the same pronunciation is customary. Terminal -m is uncommon in Ineshîmé, and so Momigem ends up transcribed as Momigen. Internally, most proper names have etymologically-transparent spellings, some of which are actually fanciful adaptations of other words (咲葩 Inĕshîme literally means “Opening Blossom”, which spelling is etymologically correct).The length of the name Hanráiúmi causes it to be instinctually separated by an Ineshîmé speaker into a surname and given name (that order is used internally); while Iyumi is a plausible, if odd, given name, Hanra is a decidedly odd-sounding family name. The sequence there wouldn’t have much meaning to a person who grew up speaking Ineshîmé, and they would probably need a translation of a story of Momigem to understand what it meant.
Moose-tache (Galician)
Original

Деjу jоума тікса деін.
Мас імен Дантеjе Гаjунда. Ез механіка віра, із планетоу темоу тінгос, коусі носакніjе тварше, на носакніjе не тварше, імен. Твару падоу, нудам доусоу, нудам зівоу. Мас бажаніjу віртан, тварам перженгоу су жімоміс. Мазу бодоу неіра стеіганоу шіс бажаніjо. Кака Моніген пан деру, ноуда каноу ардангос, мінеі сінтеі. Желмінам двеі куштеjе механікі вірі не мазан бідеjоу; двеі ідеjеі сен харумна зілвімама коусі мунан, тоулі із міна. Доузе ар мас селу, шеjе двеі ідеjеі падедан мінеі не ешка. Анеі міртіс, бе манку.

Translation

Here is my best approximation of an English translation of the passage. I am confident that it bears no resemblance to the original text, and feel nothing but shame at my failure.

Good day to you. My name is Teeth Lifewater. I am an android, from a dark and heavy world that you may or may not have a name for. I have come, wanting to breathe, wanting to live. It is my wish to return having walked among the mortals. I know how to fulfill my wish. Like Griefwailer under the tree, it occurred to me at the end of the rainbow. Perhaps there are two actions that androids cannot do, two things that are unique to the thinking kinds other than myself. Despite my efforts, these two ideas remain obscure to me. These are death, and suffering.
bradrn (Proto-Savanna)
Original

Nde ngen qalit thaŋ dawa yaaq din.
Bal siwi lheŋe Danteyi Gayunde. Bal nii ŋii wedeŋ qaŋeth waqŋu dafin fas kasip debu wayug yusaaŋu, qi ngen lheŋe thaŋ, nde siwe lhibuq ŋay bin, nde ŋaŋ siwe lhibuq ŋay bin. Be waalhiŋu; be siwe tsisa waq safilh; be siwe tsisa waq khaliŋ. Be siwe tsisa walha yagi: qume lalefŋu qaŋeth tlii. Munigin na fasi qangat thaŋ ngen kulit thaŋ, fasi thalaŋ baalaq thaŋ ngen layat thaŋ, lhibuq. Lhibuq kheyi nii maqek qaŋeth di waqi dafin ŋaŋ waq bin; qaŋeth waqi khaliŋ tlii siweli lhibuq kheyi, ŋey san ngen lhibuq tleŋ qisaŋu be ngen tleŋ. Bal siwe phula, ŋaŋ mbu di siwe sii lhibuq tleŋ. Ŋii qan segek qan tsakaq.

Translation

I hope you enjoy the day.

My name is Danteje Gajunda. I am a mechanical man from a dark and difficult planet, the name of which you may or may not know. I have arrived; I want to breathe; I want to live. I want to return: I have wandered with many people. That, it occurred to me, is why Monigen was under the tree, at the end of the rainbow. Perhaps there are two things a mechanical man can’t do; two things are reserved for living beings, who think differently to me. Even though I have a soul, these two things remain unavailable to me. They are death, and pain.
Emily (Ka'ekala)
Original

Mo kon selateu lēwa ke. Li Tanatiyi Keyunuta mo 'alusine. Mo 'an enonoe tekīn tāle ye 'alukamūtā mo kon tang kalukamūtā. Li 'an tamo kēimo sā pom māna iuke sya 'ong panim wu tī eika timūi. Mo taro māna iuke ye lēwa kokai 'eng. Li 'an ewe kāitai kētē rō ye 'an kitīm mo kola li 'an sē kāitai peng, mo kola li 'an sē kāitai āi. Ye 'an kitīm mo kola li 'an 'alupāte sā ketan anangim; li tatangukū 'an 'alupāte akong tī kang anangim rō li 'an skāitai anangim.

'ong kalukōila rolutaro wu, li Munikin 'ong saita īkau 'ong nī'etan taikota tī tiu sō'a tī tōke. 'ong kalutōketeu: mo kon tang kokai kāitai tekīn. kon tang kalutekīn wu li pom kalutōketeu sītim sē kāitai ketaimū. Mo pom kalutōketeu kalunisomā wu sē kilengā nōkelā rō li taro tōketeu 'alunisomā wu sītim sē ketaimū. Ye 'an kāitai sliki kola li 'an toina rō ye 'an mo taro tōketeu selenga sō tōke. Ye taro tōketeu 'ong ngoteu 'etaukī'etau ria.

Translation

Greetings to you all! My name is Danteyi Gayunde. I was created to look like a person, and came here from a black hole whose name you may not know. I am able to move, but I want to breathe, to live. I want to return home, as others have done

Hearing this, Munigin stood under the tree next to the rainbow and thought about it. He thought, "I don't know if it's possible for a person to be created. If a person has died, their thoughts are still passed on; even though their thoughts have been obliterated from their own mind, they live on in mine. I have free will, but I cannot have thoughts like this. These thoughts of death are too painful.
Darren (Motsemotse)
Original

Tóerezsosk. Mapel3eno Tanatí Keyanuta. Fárkemóxnó sókébletsoxssnó. Kxésnesédtaxmóxnó lesyelkeyda étrudeyda nodór. Nékonétowmó étrusey. 3émarse3enoken, tólekxespirdono tówediwdono. 3ástoé3darwanikxásno ékor meymezót3ó. T3owé3xkarwanikxásmóxnó dexa, ekxarwanisosno ékor.

Étédzimowxno Munikin xoxtsodétsé3ene dzu zabkasda akésyelkasda. Poskésmowx: “me3efártsoxkdo. Fártsoxt3adeysé, pést3á 3ésá3iriwdo. Óxpést3áda kxórá3ópkedt3ex, meypést3án3esé kxósekxiriwdot3x. 3ésózinoxd fárnoxdt3án3e, 3épekxésnókxs pést3ásé. Pést3ásé teysbleymesesosn boku deemorsost3xt3á.

Translation

There is happiness for you all. My name is Tanatiyi Keyanuta. I was created to appear in the form of a person. I came down to this place out of a black hole in the heavens. You all might not know of this black hole. I can only move, but I desire that I will breathe, that I will live. I want to return to my home again. Reportedly, I have already gone back to my home, but I cannot return again.

I have heard that Munikin was standing under the tree next to the rainbow. His thought was: Maybe a person can be created. In the creation of a person, I believe a thought will be able to survive. His own thoughts will of course be destroyed, but I believe that these thoughts of my own will survive. I can choose what I do, but I cannot think this thought. This thought hurts the dying very much.
Zju (Áżädgä)
Original

Ȳmväp tófśe jǟc. Nżãväsxm Tanatí Kejanútay. Hȳgm mōpfmyp źȳzbn fsãtsm. Bdalnì vī éptyx sãtpfn mǟr mǟrabvm. Mūfp mbýkn ndíŋgajbvż hȳn sätptãcwy. Māprm hãmyv fókomsm vóryl, śȳń ȳmväp śýśysm hǟń nżámżzm. Ţȳn ȳmväp dãbm gōdv sýndvasm. Hȳgɣ cxāpf gōdv mopsýndvabvm, nāx dãbm gōdv sýndvasm.

Pīrpfmyp Munikínb mným ḑlyjetnì vī sóvⁿgn jǟtpk. Kãcpfm: Syrtnîb hãmyv đźȳzvzv. Źýnävⁿ kãcypn đźyzvzbnîb hãmyv vonkśýśysä. Lylnì kãcypn mobväzdvãtelńä, mobvonkśýśysä źebnì käcypló. Hãmyv vlývomnsmyp lýln kãcm, śȳń cxāpf hȳgm hãmyv kãcmop. Cǟm hȳn kãcypm lylnì jýmeln mufpngnîb sófm żájobv.

Translation

May you all be happy. My name is Tanatí Keyanuta. I've done it so that I look like a person. I descended to the ground from a black hole of the heavens. You probably never knew about this hole. I can only move about, but may I breathe and may I live. And may i again return to my home. Even if I had gone home already, I will indeed go home again.

I heard that Munikin stood under that tree of rainbow. I thought: [He] can be humanized. As long as thoughts can survive by this humanization. Their thoughts will indeed break, whereas my thoughts will indeed survive. I can chooose that I think them, but I no longer think so. Because this thought accidentally hurt their deaths a lot.
Vilike (Dyelog)
Original

Wish for you to be happy. I am called Tanati Keyanuta. I made it so that I appear as a person.
I fell, fell from that black hole in the Heavens. Probably you never knew about that hole. I can only move about, but I would rather live and be able to breathe. Oh, wish that I go back home again. If I already went home once, surely I will again.

I heard that Munikin was standing below that rainbow tree. I thought: he can become human by my hand. As long as the thoughts of becoming human can keep on living. Their thoughts are being destroyed violently, but mine keep on living ferociously. I can decide to think about them, but already I cannot do thus now. Because this thought hurt many to their deaths randomly.

Translation

Wish for you to be happy. My name is Tanati Keyanuta. I wanted that your eyes saw me as a human. I fell for a long time from that black hole in the sky. You never heard about that hole, sure thing. I can only go everywhere, but I wanted to be alive and breathing. Alas, would that I went home again. I went home once then, I must be able to go again.

I heard that Munikin stood in the shadow of that rainbow-coloured tree. I thought that he, with my help, will be able to become a human. While the thoughts of becoming human are talking coherently. Their thoughts are being muted noisily, and these of mine are talking coherently. I may decide to think about them, but I am not able to. Because my thought hurt many randomly into death.
Zju

Re: Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? RESULTS POSTED

Post by Zju »

I had lots of fun doing my round and reading the results. Anybody up for a new relay next year?
/j/ <j>

Darren

Re: Anyone up for a good old-fashioned translation relay? RESULTS POSTED

Post by Darren »

I had fun too, although tbh I'm kinda surprised how little the text changed overall. For sure we should do it again.