What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
Raphael

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by Raphael »

Neat!

Ares Land wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:19 am Hebnen, eqwren, šaa he Aqean, Qehṭseh Moa, Hemhas, Irukah, Hatlis, Qauṭesqo, Mohšoṭes.
'They sowed, they dawned, the Fountain Aqean, the Celestial Mother, the Owner of Rain, the Willful Lady, the Clothed One, the Provider, the Great One Below'
All the same entity?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Šaa he Aqean 'The Aqean Spring' is the supreme deity; she's about the closest to the Abrahamic concept of God.
The other six are generally thought of as separate though lesser deities, but theologically they're more like aspects or incarnations of Šaa he Aqean.

The Tarandim are in-between monotheism and polytheism; they accept different/foreign gods as aspects of Šaa he Aqean.

(They're pantheists and monists; everyone and everything is God when it comes down to it. It helps.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Finally got around to learning about Optimality Theory! I’ve just made my first mini-grammar, for a tone system. At the same time, I’ve just decided that OT doesn’t actually work much of the time. I don’t think I’ll be using OT again.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:18 am Finally got around to learning about Optimality Theory! I’ve just made my first mini-grammar, for a tone system. At the same time, I’ve just decided that OT doesn’t actually work much of the time. I don’t think I’ll be using OT again.
HAH! :lol:

That reminds me of a software training I did for a client on a particular method of 3D modeling. At the end of the training, they said "Thanks, that was very informative and there were some good tools, but you've basically convinced us to just keep doing things the way we've been doing them since it's easier & faster." Sometimes, you just have to actually use it to see if it's useful.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Not an accomplishment entirely from today, but part of a new project involving more of my favorite five-letter word of all. There'll probably be one more banknote as part of it, but it's been nice to get back to some art after the assorted craziness of the past academic year.
More: show
Last edited by doctor shark on Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:29 pm Not an accomplishment entirely from today, but part of a new project involving more of my favorite five-letter word of all. There'll probably be one more banknote as part of it, but it's been nice to get back to some art after the assorted craziness of the past academic year.
What is the story behind the language on that money? Looks vaguely North Germanic, but at the same time some things such as the genitive order seem non-North Germanic.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:44 pm
doctor shark wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:29 pm Not an accomplishment entirely from today, but part of a new project involving more of my favorite five-letter word of all. There'll probably be one more banknote as part of it, but it's been nice to get back to some art after the assorted craziness of the past academic year.
What is the story behind the language on that money? Looks vaguely North Germanic, but at the same time some things such as the genitive order seem non-North Germanic.
It's a Germanic artlang, yes. The genitive is a bit freely ordered, more like the German genitives, but the flavoring is more Icelandic and Danish, both in terms of phonology and the vocabulary. (Inflection schemes are more Dutch and Danish-flavored, though there are still three genders.)
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I finished this about an hour or so ago.
aka vampireshark
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I'm always impressed by your banknotes! So, what's the exchange rate for the Ljöv?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:22 pm I'm always impressed by your banknotes! So, what's the exchange rate for the Ljöv?
Thanks! The ljöv sits at about MSL 365 per Telèmor franc, which translates to roughly MSL 320 per US dollar or MSL 325 per euro. This makes the 10000 note worth roughly US$31/€30, and it's a fairly commonly used note (though the most common are perhaps the 1000 and 5000 ljöven).
aka vampireshark
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

For a while I've been working with the 'Pseudo-Misihase' verbs, getting them de-Tungusified and more Japonified. It's been fun and interesting, especially dipping into OJ/MJ grammar alongside modern Japanese for models & patterns.

But... more recently, I've gotten sucked back into the natural-history lexicographic sinkhole. Specifically, going through WikiCommons for good pictures of different trees and shrubs, with which to illustrate the LexiquePro version of the PMH dictionary.

Why do I feel guilty or ashamed for doing this, instead of doing 'real' conlanging? Like, what's going on in my head that illustrating an imaginary lexicon is silly, but fleshing out the ways to construct conditional clauses in an imaginary language is serious work? Gahhhhh....
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

fusijui wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:43 pm Why do I feel guilty or ashamed for doing this, instead of doing 'real' conlanging? Like, what's going on in my head that illustrating an imaginary lexicon is silly, but fleshing out the ways to construct conditional clauses in an imaginary language is serious work? Gahhhhh....
The same thoughts which lead some linguists to see reference grammars as more important than dictionaries, I assume.
Last edited by bradrn on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
keenir

Post by keenir »

fusijui wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:43 pmWhy do I feel guilty or ashamed for doing this, instead of doing 'real' conlanging? Like, what's going on in my head that illustrating an imaginary lexicon is silly, but fleshing out the ways to construct conditional clauses in an imaginary language is serious work? Gahhhhh....
Part of your brain thinks you should finish learning how to build statements of all sorts first -- before you work on the botanicals that such statements may well be about?
(just a hunch - my brain goes back and forth on that)
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I think all the non-con-linguistics I've done, even philological/historical stuff, has always involved a lot more contact with and wrestling with real-world, extra-linguistic factors. And I don't think that I rate morphosyntax as "more serious" than lexicography -- and certainly not in conlangs, where the whole idea of 'building statements' and 'communication' is part of the joke.

I'm coming to think what bothers me is realizing I associate conlanging with total escapism and make-believe so much that, by sticking a photo of an actual beech tree into it, it feels like tainting the experience, like 'doing it wrong'. That's kind of messed up.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I think I finally figured out a good system for Tarandim writing. (Used for Karaam, Simbri et al.) I've experimented with various approaches in the past, but none of them were very satisfying.

Essentially, the system, like Egyptian hieroglyphics will use uniliteral, biliteral (and sometimes triliteral) symbols for the consonants; but in addition there are glyphs for the rhymes:

So for instance:
Hauhqwege teṭokumnan Šaa-he-Aqean am moreš tigwaug.

would be, separating glyphs with a dot:
hh.gwg.e t.t.kmn.an š.aa h q.an m mr.eš t.gw.aug

later on the rhyme glyph would be used to indicate other vowels.

That's... not much of an achievement, but I like the idea as it fits the language well and the evolution can be explained in a naturalistic fashion.

Essentially: morphology relies a lot on vowel change / deletion, so naturally the glyphs focus on the consonants (as in Egyptian or Semitic languages). There's a strong correlation between rhyme, noun class and number so rhyme glyphs would naturally serve as determiners.

I planned on the system evolving from hieroglyphic to alphabetic; now I think that while the glyphs evolve over time the system remains basically the same.
Halian

Post by Halian »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:01 pm I finished this about an hour or so ago.
God, those look amazing, and I wish I could make banknotes even ¼ as good. *drool*
Hâlian the Protogen
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Halian wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:16 am
God, those look amazing, and I wish I could make banknotes even ¼ as good. *drool*
Thanks; my advice, though, is just to experiment and play around with things! Like I've mentioned before, I've been at this for quite a long time (coming up on 15 years), and the old adage "practice makes perfect" is very applicable here.

Also, another new-ish rework of things with some added language practice:
aka vampireshark
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

fusijui wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:43 pmWhy do I feel guilty or ashamed for doing this, instead of doing 'real' conlanging? Like, what's going on in my head that illustrating an imaginary lexicon is silly, but fleshing out the ways to construct conditional clauses in an imaginary language is serious work? Gahhhhh....
Lol, I know this so well.

I've been working with my Omni-kan vocabulary, and have now fully translated two out of three texts which I'm going to post here once they're all done.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

@doctor shark: Now tickets, too! What's next, postage stamps? ;-)
I like it.