Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani OVS order)

Conworlds and conlangs
Richard W

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: polypersonal question)

Post by Richard W »

Vardelm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 pm
Richard W wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 pm Did Romance flirt with ergativity? The perfect participles in the perfect tenses seem to have gone through a stage where transitive verbs had object-marking and habeo for the auxiliary verb and intransitive verbs has subject-marking and esse for the auxiliary verb..
Maybe? No idea.
The question was semi-rhetorical. I don't think such a split in marking has any implications of ergativity, though it is what one might expect as a result of ergativity.
Ares Land

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: polypersonal question)

Post by Ares Land »

Richard W wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 pm Did Romance flirt with ergativity? The perfect participles in the perfect tenses seem to have gone through a stage where transitive verbs had object-marking and habeo for the auxiliary verb and intransitive verbs has subject-marking and esse for the auxiliary verb..
Selection of auxiliaries in Romance does remind me of active/stative. Reflexes of esse are also used for the passive voice; not all intransitives select esse; but which do was semantically based -- though the exact semantics are disputed, not to mention that these changed over time.
It's worth noting that the use of esse seems to have started with Latin deponent verbs (which are, themselves, relics of an earlier active/stative system).

Martin Maden's Linguistic History of Italian has a very good chapter on this.
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Jin Adverbs & Incorporation)

Post by Vardelm »

Reposting for visibility...

Yokai Noun Classes - Version 3

Yet another iteration of noun classes, following up on the 2nd Yokai Noun Classes post. I've rearranged a bunch of stuff and - importantly - reduced the number of classes, or at least the number of class suffixes, which will help with the issue of verbal agreement a little.

The 10 classes that have suffixes 11-15 could probably be considered as just 5 classes with some nouns in those classes being uncountable and therefor don't ever take a plural prefix.

Yokai Noun Classes
Plural
Prefix
Suffix Description
A 01 People: women
Animals: birds
B 02 People: leadership, ceremonial, etc.
Animals: reptiles
C 03 People: men
Animals: furred mammals, crawling insects
D 04 People: outcast men
Animals: shelled, flying insects
E 05 People: outcast women
Animals: fish, amphibians, marine mammals
A 06 Plants: deciduous trees, bushes
Places: forests
Body Parts: TBD
B 07 Plants: flowers, seeds, leaves
Places: deserts, volcanoes, sky, heavens
C 08 Plants: grasses, mushrooms, moss, lichen, roots, vegetables
Places: mountains, hills, plains, caves, fields
D 09 Plants: pines, cactus, pinecones, nuts
Places: glaciers, tundra, graves
E 10 Plants: fruit, seaweed, lillies
Places: oceans, lakes, rivers
A 11 Abstract: states, qualities
B 12 Abstract: ideas, concepts, emotions
C 13 Abstract: actions
D 14 Abstract: death, darkness
E 15 Abstract: events, time
- 11 Materials: plant
People: race, ethnicity
- 12 Materials: flame, coals, cinders, lava, smoke, flesh/meat
- 13 Materials: rock, stone, sand, dirt
- 14 Materials: metal, shell, crystal, ice
- 15 Materials: liquids, food
A 16 Objects: small objects
B 16 Objects: insubstantial objects, man-made non-tool, random-shaped objects
C 16 Objects: large objects, structures
D 16 Objects: tools, hard objects
E 16 Objects: hollow objects, containers, flexible objects
Last edited by Vardelm on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Noun Classes v3)

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It struck me as odd having "flowers" and "deserts, volcanoes" in the same class; had you considered one for weeds, or poisonous or undesirable plants, together with undesirable places, like deserts and volcanoes?
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 am It struck me as odd having "flowers" and "deserts, volcanoes" in the same class;
I can definitely see it as odd. My thinking was that flowers are an "explosion of color" for plants.

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:26 am had you considered one for weeds, or poisonous or undesirable plants, together with undesirable places, like deserts and volcanoes?
No, but I like that distinction. I'll add that to my list for rumination. :)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I was wondering if that might've been the logic (or if Yōkai might've viewed all those things positively where a human being would not).
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

In any case, I like that 'women, fire and dangerous things' approach!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:49 pm I was wondering if that might've been the logic (or if Yōkai might've viewed all those things positively where a human being would not).
They're definitely not going to be happy about a nearby volcano blowing its stack! :) Overall, I don't think it's a matter of "positive" or "negative". I'd like to probably get + and - in all categories. If you look at everything with plural prefix B, it's about fire, heat, energy, things that are explosive, ephemeral, and/or temporary. (Mind you, this is still in progress, so I don't have that fully consistent & worked out yet!)

Ares Land wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:52 pm In any case, I like that 'women, fire and dangerous things' approach!
Thanks! While I don't have women associated with fire, Dyirbal is definitely an inspiration, especially for the plural "macro-classes". I wanted to get to a point where large groups had a theme in addition to and broader than what the micro-classes do. I feel like this version is starting to zero in on that goal.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Vilike wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:40 am you could keep the number of combinations down with a direct-inverse system, so that there is only one affix for any combination of class markers and persons.
Ares Land wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:40 am Bantu language that do have class concord on verb generally merge some of the noun classes for verbal concord.

An idea (though related to the animacy hierarchy and direct-inverse ones): the bulk of transitive sentences are going to involve a member of classes 1 to 5 as subject. And I'd bet most often classes 2 and 3.
What I'd do is have fused markers for the most common combinations (keeping in mind that noun classes can merge for verbal agreement)
bradrn wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm I think it has more to do with animacy: agents will predominantly come from the most animate noun classes. If anything, you probably don’t want to merge these noun classes with each other in the agentive argument affix, in order to make the finest distinctions amongst the most frequent cases. (Though you might want to merge them when used as undergoers!)

After mulling this over and creating some (empty) tables, I think I may use a combination of these ideas.

The below table shows that for transitive verbs the animate micro-classes (1-5) would agree with the micro-class, while all of the inanimate classes (6-16) would agree with the macro-class (the plural). The verb suffixes will not distinguish which is referent is the subject vs object or more vs less salient. That work will be done by separate inflections for direct vs inverse.

The "misc factor" listed is a set of inflections I'm not quite prepared to present yet and it's fun to keep an audience in suspense. :P

Transitivity Agrees with # Inflections
Intransitive
1st Person Subject
1st person & misc factor 4
Intransitive
2nd Person Subject
2nd person & misc factor 4
Intransitive
3rd Person Subject
subject noun class 16
Total Intransitive
Transitive
1P vs 2P
1P/2P & misc factor 4
Transitive
1P vs 3P
1P & 3P animate micro class (5)
1P & 3P inanimate macro class (5)
Transitive
2P vs 3P
2P & 3P animate micro class (5)
2P & 3P inanimate macro class (5)
Transitive
3P vs 3P
3P animate micro-class & 3P animate micro class (15)
3P animate micro-class & 3P inanimate macro class (15)
3P inanimate macro-class & 3P inanimate macro class (15)
Total Transitive
Total

With this strategy, I might expand micro-class 16 to 5 classes so that there is a different suffix for all of those. That wouldn't impact the number of verbal inflections for agreement since those would be inanimate and therefor agree with their macro-class.

For transitives with 2 3rd person referents, if those are of the same class I might just use the same suffix as the intransitive agreement. That would cut my number down to 59 transitive inflections and 83 total.

93 or 83 still seems like a large number, but that includes both intransitive & transitive. The numbers I posted before were just transitive! This system seems like it's starting to get into a plausible range. There won't be a whole lot of other verb inflections, which helps too.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Yokai Noun Class Suffix Trial

I came up with suffixes for classes 1-5 (people/animals), plus class 11 (material/people). I think I like it, at least for the moment.

Stem word: yoka- "Yokai people or things related to them"

Class Suffix Example
1 -shi yokashi (yokai woman)
2 -deon yokadeon (yokai... elder? king? queen? maybe not used?)
3 -sha yokasha (yokai man)
4 -oni yokaoni (yokai man of lower caste)
5 -ida yokaida (yokai woman of lower caste)
11 -i yokai (the people/race in general)

Eventually I'd like to have each suffix take some different forms due to the stem. Maybe some consonant harmory? Dunno.

Also, I'm am conscious that the idea of using real world terms ("yokai" in this case) as an in-world term might not be the best practice. At this point, I'll run with it since all of these langs are still in their early stages of development. I'd be curious to hear what others think of that issue.
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Noun Class Suffix Trial)

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It makes some sense so far (and some of the morphemes are looking familiar).

So do you have higher ranks that are yokara, yokaga, yokalao, mahayokalao, yokadain, mahayokadain?
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:34 pm It makes some sense so far (and some of the morphemes are looking familiar).
Good & yep. :)

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:34 pm So do you have higher ranks that are yokara, yokaga, yokalao, mahayokalao, yokadain, mahayokadain?
No, but I like the idea enough to consider it. Where are you pulling those morphemes from, out of curiosity?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:34 pm So do you have higher ranks that are yokara, yokaga, yokalao, mahayokalao, yokadain, mahayokadain?
No, but I like the idea enough to consider it. Where are you pulling those morphemes from, out of curiosity?
[/quote]
It's a video game joke — Final Fantasy (also Kingdom Hearts) spells rank Whatever, Whateverara, Whateveraga, also Whateveraja; with modifications based on the sounds of words (Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, Aero, Aera/Aerora, Aega/Aeroga, Water, Watera, Watega, and so on). Kingdom Hearts sometimes uses -(a)gun or -(a)za rather than -(a)ja at fourth-tier (which isn't common to have in either games, most use three except for healing, which sometimes do Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja, and others Cure, Cura, Curada, Curaga, which is how they normally go in Japanese (localisation complicates many things). The Japanese version of Chrono Trigger also does Whatever, Whateverga, but the third tier is some other word, and this was localised out in English.

The others are from Shin Megami Tensei and Persona (high-level spells are usually suffixed with -dyne — Kana spellings indicate a reading /dain/ — and area-of-effect spells prefixed with ma-, mar-, or maha). The -lao is from agilao (second-level fire spell), but in this second series, the suffixes are more random and fluid for second-level spells, cf.: Zio, Mazio; Zionga, Mazionga; Ziodyne, Maziodyne (Lightning); but Agi, Maragi; Agilao, Maragion; Agidyne, Maragydine (Fire); Bufu, Mabufu; Bufula, Mabufula; Bufudyne, Mabufudyne (Ice); Kouha, Makouha; Kouga, Makouga; Kougaon, Makougaon (Light); the last one appears analogical with the ultimate spells Megido, Megidola, Megidolaon (all area-of-effect anyway).

I'm not sure why they do this, but I've often wondered, and found such systems interesting. The original Final Fantasy is described as an "unlicensed Dungeons and Dragons product" (see the art for the original game, and then look at more recent releases for a very, very odd evolution), so I'm surprised it didn't start with similar names (unlike the much-more-anime-from-the-beginning Tales series, which has your standard "Fireball, Lightning, Air Thrust, Ice Tornado, Earth Glaive" and some weird ones like "Extension, Spread Blue, Brilliant Lance, God Press, Indignation (the last one being the "iconic" one)" that are Wasei-eigo of varying quality.

This wouldn't fit phonologically, but Fire Emblem also does the affix-gradation, with Fire, Elfire, Arcfire (in Japanese, the third-tier seems to be Gigafire instead, changed in localisations as it doesn't fit the Pseudomediaeval/Pseudoantiquity setting), or the ultimate spells in one title (usually either Norse words like Ragnarok, Fimbulvetr, Brynhildr, Gleipnir, or Naglfar; or more Waasei-Eigo like Forblaze, or very random things like Cymbeline) being Rexaura, Rexbolt, Rexflame, Rexcalibur. It often also suffixes wild spells with -calibur — Aircalibur, Grafcalibur, Excalibur, Gigascalibur and the above Rexcalibur all being wind-aligned. It probably just sounds cool and foreign or something.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 pm Lots...
HAH! Love it! I'm not super familiar with FF or the other material you mention, which is why I did recognize it. I thought maha- might be from Indian langs, but wasnt sure. I did mine World of Warcraft for some codas, but not much. I don't think any show up here.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 pm Lots...
HAH! Love it! I'm not super familiar with FF or the other material you mention, which is why I did recognize it. I thought maha- might be from Indian langs, but wasnt sure. I did mine World of Warcraft for some codas, but not much. I don't think any show up here.
Maha and Agi are, I'm pretty sure, from Sanskrit (Persona also has Wind-aligned magic Garu, Magaru, Garula, Magarula, Garudyne, Magarudine, which is probably from the mythical creature Garuda. You likely, consequently, weren't wrong. I simply connected Yōkai with Japanese demons with games involving demons, which are made by Japanese people, and the suffixing system, and... you get the idea.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Yokai Noun Class Plural Prefix Trial

1st cut on plural prefixes.

Stem word: yoka- "Yokai people or things related to them"

Class Singular
Suffix
Singular Plural
Prefix
Plural Translation
1 -shi yokashi we- weyokashi yokai woman
2 -deon yokadeon o(k)- oyokadeon yokai elder
3 -sha yokasha da- dayokasha yokai man
4 -oni yokaoni i(n)- inyokaoni lower caste yokai man
5 -ida yokaida mu- muyokaida lower caste yokai woman
11 -i yokai - - yokai (the people/race in general)
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Noun Class Forms)

Post by Vardelm »

Yokai Noun Class Forms

Yay! I finally have forms for all of the noun classes worked out. Yeah, it's still subject to change (what isn't in conlanging?) but it feels like a solid start. There will eventually be adjective, genitive, locative/prepositional, and intransitive verbal forms. Per usual, my example words are made up on the spot, so those are likely to be completely reworked down the road. With at least 1 example per class, at least it's progress.

Yokai Noun Classes
Class Usage
Singular
Plural
Examples
01 People: women
Animals: birds
-shi
wu- -sho
yokashi / wuyokasho : yokai woman
tinshi / wutinsho : bird
untshaitinshi / wuntshaitinsho : song-bird
02 People: leadership, ceremonial, etc.
Animals: reptiles
-(d)eo
o- -(d)i
yokadeo / oyokadi : yokai elder
untshaideo / okuntshaidi : singer
washadeo / owashadi : snake
sizhodeo / osizhodi : male lion
03 People: men
Animals: furred mammals, crawling insects
-sha
dai- -shu
yokasha / daiyokashu : yokai man
jaldasha / daijaldashu : male dwarf (seldom used)
tinsha / daitinshu : flightless bird (ostrich, etc.)
sizhosha / daisizhoshu : lion, lioness
miutsisha / daimiutsishu : centipede
04 People: outcast men
Animals: shelled, flying insects
-oni
ai(n)- -na
yokaoni / aiyokana : yokai lower caste man
jaldoni / aijaldana : a dwarf
phanioni / aiphanina : crab
amchioni / ainamchina : butterfly
05 People: outcast women
Animals: fish, amphibians, marine mammals
-inu
lu- -ne
yokainu / luyokane : yokai lower caste woman
jaldinu / lujaldane : female dwarf (seldom used)
yonsuinu / luyonsone : salmon
gaiwainu / lugaiwane : frog
sudzaninu / lusudzane : otter
06 Plants: deciduous trees, bushes
Places: forests
-zen
wu- -zen
akishuzen / wakishuzen : forest glade
chaonazen / wuchaozen : apple tree
07 Plants: flowers, seeds, leaves
Places: deserts, volcanoes, sky, heavens
-xio
o- -xi
kaonxio / okaonxi : cloud
yashoxio / oyashoxi : volcano
08 Plants: grasses, mushrooms, moss, lichen,
roots, vegetables
Places: mountains, hills, plains, caves, fields
-da
dai- -du
yashoda / daiyashodu : mountain
dzukoda / daidzukodu : grotto
09 Plants: pines, cactus, pinecones, nuts
Places: glaciers, tundra, graves
-dai
ai(n)- -da
tsiungdai / aitsiungda : pine tree
bichiangdai / aibichiangda : mountaintop snow/glacier
10 Plants: fruit, seaweed, lillies
Places: oceans, lakes, rivers
-xun
lu- -xun
chaonxun / luchaonxun : apple
mupiangxun / lumupiangxun : pond
11 Objects: small objects
-bue
wu- -bo
kiolbue / wukiolbo : pebbles
12 Objects: insubstantial objects, man-made non-tool,
random-shaped objects
-tsong
o- -tsong
anzatsong / okanzatsong : saddle
13 Objects: large objects, structures
-a
dai- -u
kiola / daikiolu : boulders
14 Objects: tools, hard objects
-tsing
ai(n)- -tsing
kioltsing / aikioltsing : rocks, stones
15 Objects: hollow objects, containers, flexible objects
-biu
lu- -be
bunobiu / lubunobe : bag
16 Abstract: states, qualities
-i
wu- -o
jaldi : shortness
17 Abstract: ideas, concepts, emotions
-o
o- -i
muankao / omuanki : dream
18 Abstract: actions
-jia
dai- -ju
untshaijia / daiyuntshaiju : singing, song
19 Abstract: death, darkness
-(i)n
ai(n)- -(i)n
ikamun / ainikamun : shadow
20 Abstract: events, time
-fu
lu- -fe
bichiangfu / lubichiangfe : avalanche
21 Materials: plant
-i
-
yokai : yokai
bunui : cloth
22 Materials: flame, coals, cinders, lava, smoke,
flesh/meat
-o
-
yonso : cooked salmon
phanio : cooked crab
23 Materials: rock, stone, sand, dirt
-jia
-
kioljia : rock, stone
24 Materials: metal, shell, crystal, ice
-(i)n
-
jaldin : dwarves
xianun : snow
25 Materials: liquids, food
-fu
-
yonsofu : salmon, raw salmon
phanifu : crab, raw crab
chaonafu : apple, sliced or ingredient
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Vowel Mutations)

Post by Vardelm »

Yokai Vowel Mutations (for suffixes)

I think I have a system of vowel changes / suffix mechanics worked out that gives me results I like. In creating class suffixes for other forms, such as for intransitive verbs, I quickly realized I didn't want to use the same suffix for both noun & verb since that leads to rhyming. Just..... ick. Not an aesthetic I want in general. It's fine for a few classes & forms, but not every single one.

When a suffix is added, vowels ending the stem will interact with vowels starting the suffix. There are 4 levels of suffix vowels:

1) epenthetic vowel (V) - The vowel on the suffix is used only in the case where it's needed for syllabification constraints.

2) weak vowel -V - If the stem ends in a monophthong, all vowels are kept. If this creates an illegal diphthong, it is changed to a nearby monophthong or diphthong per the "vowel combinations" table below. Diphthongs "mutate" such that both of the vowels move in the direction of the suffix vowel (which is not kept aside from it's influence on the diphthong). The mutations follow a ↔ e ↔ i ↔ u ↔ o ↔ a in either direction: whichever is the shortest route to the suffix vowel doing the mutation. The various "mutations" diagrams show the pathways. Blue arrows are "weak mutations".

3) moderate vowel +V - Same as for weak vowels above except that monophthongs also mutate in the direction of the suffix vowel. Red arrows in the "mutations" diagrams below are "moderate mutations".

4) strong vowel =V - The stem's final vowels are completely elided & replaced with the initial vowels of the suffix.

Vowel Combinations

I-mutation

E-mutation

A-mutation

O-mutation

U-mutation
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Adjective Forms)

Post by Vardelm »

Here, smell this and tell me if it's rotten....

I'm working on adjective forms for my Yokai classes. The basic noun formation is:

Stem Class Suffix Noun
yoka- + -shi = yokashi (Yokai woman)

I have a possessive form that adds a -ul suffix, which can modify the vowel of the class suffix a bit.

Noun Possessive Suffix Possessive Form/Case
yokashi + -ul = yokashiol

What I'm considering is an adjective form that infixes -ur- into the class suffix.

Noun Adjectival Suffix Adjective Form
yokashi + -ur- = yokashuri

An alternate idea is to suffix -r plus the same vowel that is used in the plural noun form.

Noun Adjectival Suffix Adjective Form
yokashi + -ri / -re / -ra / -ro / -ru = yokashiro

I think the 2nd option probably passes muster a little better, and I do like having the tie in back to the plural noun form. However, I generally like the forms from option #1 better.

Thoughts? Opinions? Scathing criticism? Ennui?
Vijay

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Yokai Adjective Form Question)

Post by Vijay »

Wait, is it the class suffix that changes in form, or can it (also) be the possessive suffix itself?